PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Online Music Store

mustang
August 24th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Coming off the heels of yesterday's announcement (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8566) that walmart would be selling certain music DRM free, I decided to give it a shot.

To my surprise, their music service doesn't force any sort of client down your throat---it's all web-based. I downloaded Coldplay's "Fix You" for $0.84 encoded at 256kbps. Here I thought: "Finally, a music service that works on linux and is carrying major label music!"

Went to go download some more music today:

"We're sorry, your operating system is incompatible. To provide the best download experience, we can no longer support Windows 98, ME or NT. Please visit again after you upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP. Visit our Help section for complete system requirements information."

Well that's just dandy. :(

weatherman1293
August 24th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Coming off the heels of yesterday's announcement (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8566) that walmart would be selling certain music DRM free, I decided to give it a shot.

To my surprise, their music service doesn't force any sort of client down your throat---it's all web-based. I downloaded Coldplay's "Fix You" for $0.84 encoded at 256kbps. Here I thought: "Finally, a music service that works on linux and is carrying major label music!"

"We're sorry, your operating system is incompatible. To provide the best download experience, we can no longer support Windows 98, ME or NT. Please visit again after you upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP. Visit our Help section for complete system requirements information."

I'd write a letter telling them to give you an "experimental" bypass.

amazingtaters
August 24th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Also note that all songs on Wally World's online store are edited versions, aka so BLEEP that.

Depressed Man
August 24th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Figures, I heard it on the news last night and I thought there had to be a catch.

r_l
August 24th, 2007, 03:23 AM

I downloaded two songs from them as a trial a week ago (That was right before the MP3s was available and I emailed them and complaint about their DRM thing won't play on my Ubuntu and they refunded me).

Note that if the web address say: "www.wallmart.com....." then it will give you that browser not compatible message, but if you can actually get inside musicdownloads.walmart.com directly, you can do it without any problems.

mustang
August 24th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Also note that all songs on Wally World's online store are edited versions, aka so BLEEP that.

This is true. Kind of kills it for me.

I downloaded two songs from them as a trial a week ago (That was right before the MP3s was available and I emailed them and complaint about their DRM thing won't play on my Ubuntu and they refunded me).

Note that if the web address say: "www.wallmart.com....." then it will give you that browser not compatible message, but if you can actually get inside musicdownloads.walmart.com directly, you can do it without any problems.

Ah great find m8. Thank you

FuturePilot
August 24th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Have you tried the User Agent Switcher for Firefox?

izanbardprince
August 24th, 2007, 05:24 AM
http://www.walmart.com/cservice/cu_commentsonline.gsp?cu_heading=8

Subject 7. Report Site Problems

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like, first, to congratulate you on taking a step in the right direction on your Wal-Mart Music Downloads website, you have started to address my biggest complaints against the music industry, being:

1. The albums are just plain too expensive.

2. When there are legitimate ways of purchasing music, they tend to be non-interoperable file formats, such as Apple's AAC and Microsoft's WMA.

3. After items 1 and 2, the files are usually poisoned with DRM, or as I like to call it, Digital Restrictions Malware, which absolutely NEVER stops (or even slows down) piracy, it merely creates an enormous hassle on legitimate customers, and in fact, promotes piracy, when a user can simply download a non-crippled file for free.

My issue with your site is the following:

The Microsoft Windows operating system is not the only operating system with a web browser, nor is it the only one that can play mp3 files, almost any modern operating system has these capabilities, and therefore, there is no outstanding technical reason preventing your site from working across platforms.

If you would address this issue, I would gladly do business with you.

Thank you for taking this under advisement,

-Your Name Here

nicweb
August 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Try the direct link... http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/catalog/servlet/MainServlet

jcconnor
August 25th, 2007, 08:38 PM
On August 22 I got this reply from a complaint that I had about the non-compatibility thing. This was their response:

We apologize for any inconvenience. Mac and Linux users should be able to go to the http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/ website to purchase and download our MP3 tracks only. PLEASE NOTE! – You MUST download the tracks INDIVIDUALLY as trying to use the “Download All Tracks” feature will not work for MAC or Linux.

So, there you go!

John

DM was on fire!
August 25th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Last I knew, you couldn't even run Windows ME to download music from Wal-Mart.
So they let you download on Linux AND they changed the price (because last I know, it was $.88.) Awesome!

DarkDancer
August 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Interesting, in Linux or OSX yo have to pick the songs individually yet, at least on "Dark Side Of The Moon" you have to download the whole album to get all the songs (Time and Us and Them say "Item only available with album download.").

Nice....

miggols99
August 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I wonder if they'll get something like this for the UK...

Bungo Pony
August 26th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Good for Walmart for providing this service! I recall that they were against the RIAA's chokehold on the music industry, since Walmart is the one who informed me that the music industry recieves a percentage of any blank media that is sold (CD-Rs, cassettes, etc)

Nyken
July 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
July 2009 update for anyone else who finds this page.

The Walmart Music Store work 100% with Ubuntu 9.04 with Firefox. You cannot use the Shiretoko version of Firefox to download, however. No DRM - bought 5 MP3s and they played on all my computers.