PDA

View Full Version : csh scripting help

DishBreak
August 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
I realize a lot of ubuntu users use bash, because it's the shell that it's shipped with. however, i'm having a bit of difficulty with c shell scripting and i hope one of you can help me out.

what is the easiest for a script to find out if a directory is empty or not? i'm writing something that copies files to an sd card, and i want the script to abort if the directory i ask it to copy from is empty.

also, if someone could point me to a good resource for learning c-shell (online or in print), it would help me...a lot.

thanks!

rharriso
August 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
you could use the ls command and run a foreach loop and set up a counter, test for zero. Thats just a general way of doing it.

I don't know of a quick and easy way to do it.

rharriso
August 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
also I've found that the different shells aren't too terribly different and shell programming book will tell you basics of shell programming and point out the differences between the shells, I use Linux in a nutshell by oreilly books

ghostdog74
August 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
For your reference... (http://www.thp.uni-duisburg.de/~michael/csh-harmful.html.)
however, this aside, you can use GNU find.

find . -empty -type d -name "somedirname"

DishBreak
August 24th, 2007, 02:46 AM
The link you gave me is dead.

right now, i have the script create and erase a dummy file to force it to work...

I'll try figuring out the find command, thanks for the (now obvious) tip. I'll brush up more on my reading skills. =_=

ghostdog74
August 24th, 2007, 03:40 AM
The link you gave me is dead.

no its not. You just have to remove the last "dot"

Mr. C.
August 24th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Here are two different techniques you can use :

if (`ls -1 | wc -l` == 0) then
echo Empty
else
echo Not Empty
endif

or

set nonomatch
if (`echo *` =~ '*') then
echo Empty
else
echo Not Empty
endif
unset nonomatch

MrC

DishBreak
August 26th, 2007, 01:10 AM
@ghostdog:
My bad. very interesting article...this script is fairly simple, so i'll go with what i have already.

@Mr. C.
Thanks a lot! those make sense. the only question i have is why do you need to set and unset the variable "nonomatch"?

Mr. C.
August 26th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Setting nonomatch prevents csh from complaining :

$ mkdir empty && cd empty
$ 'Got a light'?
Got a light?: No match.

$ echo *
echo: No match.

Unsetting nonmatch is to go back to the default mode of warning when a wildcard does not match. No need to unset if your script exits anyway, or you don't care.

MrC