PDA

View Full Version : fedora regulations

Chymera
August 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Fedora software and technical information is subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and other U.S. and foreign law, and may not be exported or re-exported to certain countries (currently Cuba, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan and Syria) or to persons or entities prohibited from receiving U.S. exports (including those (a) on the Bureau of Industry and Security Denied Parties List or Entity List, (b) on the Office of Foreign Assets Control list of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons, and (c) involved with missile technology or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons). You may not download Fedora software or technical information if you are located in one of these countries, or otherwise affected by these restrictions. You may not provide Fedora software or technical information to individuals or entities located in one of these countries or otherwise affected by these restrictions. You are also responsible for compliance with foreign law requirements applicable to the import and use of Fedora software and technical information.
wtf? is this some way of saying "If the us doesn't like your country than you are probably all terrorists so please get off our site and don't try to download anything because we will not be able to stop you if you do" ?
if you ask me its both extremely unethical and extremely moronic...
does this also count for ubuntu?

dca
August 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
RedHat is still the chief bank-roller for Fedora and they are a legitimate US corporation bound by certain laws...

Not to mention I'd hate to think a Linux kernel was being used in some new age roadside bomb...

igknighted
August 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
wtf? is this some way of saying "If the us doesn't like your country than you are probably all terrorists so please get off our site and don't try to download anything because we will not be able to stop you if you do" ?
if you ask me its both extremely unethical and extremely moronic...

I think Opensuse is bound by this as well (assuming Novell is a US company?). Basically, US companies are not allowed to trade with or export to countries that the US has an embargo on. Not anything RH has control over. Any other distro with a parent company based in the US is subject to this as well.

dca
August 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
(off-topic, thread stealing) Ig, does CentOS 5 use a 4k kernel like Fedora?

az
August 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM

Of course not!

Ubuntu is not a corporate entity like Red Hat Linux. Canonical funds the Ubuntu project and is based in the UK (Isle of man, actually).

igknighted
August 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
(off-topic, thread stealing) Ig, does CentOS 5 use a 4k kernel like Fedora?

You know, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure where to check honestly. I have a CentOS box sitting right next to me, so if you know how to check I'll do it for you. I suspect that it would do as Fedora does, but thats intuition, I have no facts to say either way.

Chymera
August 23rd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Not to mention I'd hate to think a Linux kernel was being used in some new age roadside bomb...

...not to mention that any such facility that could develop brand new killing technologies would have no problem getting every bit of source code microsoft ever produced.... not to mention a linux kernel.

dca
August 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
It's no biggie, I heard that Fedora uses 4k kernel stacks which is what may have been causing my ndiswrapper on F7 to lock-up and freeze the whole system after activating wlan0. Apparently the kernel (in most distros and maintained kernels) is by default 8k stack... There's talk about making the kernel itself all around default to 4k (instead of just for debugging, which would force a lot of other distros to use the same) and if this is what causes the ndis lock-ups to happen, I think we'd see it more frequently. Sorry to be so long-winded, just curious...

dca
August 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
...not to mention that any such facility that could develop brand new killing technologies would have no problem getting every bit of source code microsoft ever produced.... not to mention a linux kernel.

The only facility that has access to MS source code that I know of is the DoD... Ooops, don't make me say for 'killing technology' or the men in black will be at my door...

zero244
August 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
I think they are saying they don't want people in these countries using their product. I think it has some problems as far as enforcement.
Its there product so I have no problem with it.
<snip>

igknighted
August 23rd, 2007, 07:04 PM
I think they are saying they don't want people in these countries using their product. I think it has some problems as far as enforcement.
Its there product so I have no problem with it.

Its a US government trade embargo. It is meant to punish a government, not prevent terrorism or the like. Its like when you were 12 and made fun of your sister and you mom sent you to the corner. It wasn't to stop you from hitting her, it was to punish you. Same here.