PDA

View Full Version : free fedora

Chymera
August 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
i've looked recently on the fedora site and to my astonishment found out that fedora is FREE.
I've thought, for the past 2 years since i first heard about redhat and fedora, that it costs money, kind of like linspire... so is it absolutley free? has it always been free? or what might have given me that wrong impression?

Lord Illidan
August 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
i've looked recently on the fedora site and to my astonishment found out that fedora FREE.
I've thought, for the past 2 years since i first heard about redhat and fedora, that it costs money, kind of like linspire... so is it absolutley free? has it always been free? or what might have given me that wrong impression?

Always been free. Free as in beer and as in libre, too. RedHat enterprise does cost money though.

Steve1961
August 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
fedora is absolutely free, and always has been.

igknighted
August 23rd, 2007, 05:36 PM
i've looked recently on the fedora site and to my astonishment found out that fedora FREE.

Yup, 100% free, always has been. Fedora and Red Hat are like Debian Testing and Debian Stable. Stable (Red Hat/CentOS) doesn't get new software that often, but is rock solid. Testing is a little more volatile, but you get much newer software. Like Debian as well, Fedora is 100% FOSS. I don't know about Red Hat, but I use CentOS and I think it is 100% FOSS too.

Chymera
August 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
RedHat enterprise does cost money though.

Yep, that was the thing.