PDA

View Full Version : mixing feisty and lenny repos

Ozeuss
August 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM
ok, so i was wondering whether i can add lenny repos in feisty using a specification in apt.conf (optionally updating specific packages). i know there's supposed to be a certain amount of binary incompatibility... so if there's any rule of thumb, i'll be glad to hear it.

oh, and another issue- in the current state of gutsy, in terms of stability,
how does it compare to Debian unstable/testing?

benuski
August 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Mixing Ubuntu and Debian repositories is a horrible horrible HORRIBLE idea. You might be able to get a way with one package here and there, but once you start getting into huge dependencies, it just becomes a mess.

Debian testing and unstable are fairly stable right now. I've been running Sid for eight months and have never had any big problems with it. However, I have no idea what the stability of Gutsy is right now.

Ozeuss
August 24th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Mixing Ubuntu and Debian repositories is a horrible horrible HORRIBLE idea. You might be able to get a way with one package here and there, but once you start getting into huge dependencies, it just becomes a mess.

Debian testing and unstable are fairly stable right now. I've been running Sid for eight months and have never had any big problems with it. However, I have no idea what the stability of Gutsy is right now.

oh.. ok then. I've been playing around with lenny and thought I'd might harness some its more recent software. it was pretty stable for me too.

g2g591
August 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM
gutsy has been very stable (for me at least) as in just as stable as fiesty (again it might not be as stable for you as for me) the only slightly annoying thing is you have to download 26Mb worth updates every day or two