PDA

View Full Version : Debian installed... works great!

davidgypsy
July 31st, 2005, 02:47 AM
-

UbuWu
July 31st, 2005, 03:11 AM
You can download a dvd image of Ubuntu containing all the programs in the main repository. Also soon they will be available for sale at the shipit system.

poofyhairguy
July 31st, 2005, 03:26 AM
My only bug with Ubuntu is that when I want to install anything via Synaptic, it takes forever on my oh so slow dialup. So the other day I got Debian on two DVD's, and was very impressed by how much stuff they have on those two discs. It is 14 CD's worth of software!

Awesome. I often tell users on dial up to use Debian instead for that very reason. As it is, I consider Ubuntu to be a broadband OS- thats when it shines.

UbuWu
July 31st, 2005, 03:57 AM
Oh, and if bittorrent doesn't work for you for some reason (e.g. because you have a stupid router, like me) this mirror still has it available for normal download:

http://nginyang.uvt.nl//hoary/

:grin:

NeoSNightmarE
July 31st, 2005, 07:30 AM
Glad to know that you stuck with a Debian OS. How long did it take to download the two DVDs? I'm just curious for some reason.

Kvark
July 31st, 2005, 03:09 PM
Someone should sell DVDs containing everything on all official repos, not only main. Dail up users could buy that once per release and then it's as good as with broadband. Broadband is rare in large parts of the world, gotta think about the users living there.