PDA

View Full Version : When software copy-protection goes too far

GFree678
August 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
It's easy to become jaded with PC gaming, particularly with the lengths publishers will go to in an effort to combat piracy. There's a big bru-ha-ha going on about BioShock, the PC version, how it requires activation before you can play it. Let me spell for you exactly how this activation mechanism works:

(a) The activation is net-based, but is only performed on the first attempt to run the game, so it's not as bad as Steam as to require a extra program. However...
(b) You can only activate the game a maximum of 2 times.
(c) If you have to reinstall Windows or whatever, and hence reinstall BioShock, it will detect you've already activated it and, if you've gone past 2 activations, will PREVENT YOU FROM PLAYING THE GAME YOU PAID FOR.
(d) If you uninstall the game it will also clear the current activation (the suggested approach), but of course if you're wanting to reinstall Windows for whatever reason, who the heck remembers to uninstall all their software before blowing it away anyway?
(e) If your hard drive dies, that's cost you an activation.
(f) Even if you successfully activate the game, you STILL have to run with the DVD in the drive like most other games anyway! What the hell was the point of activation then? Shouldn't this have negated the disc check?
(g) The Steam version, despite being net-based anyway, also incorporates this limited activation as well (confirmed by a Steam Staff member).

What's the worst thing about all this?

The game has already been cracked, with the crack negating all copy protection mechanisms. The inconveniences to the buying public have been entirely for nothing.

I remember I time when you'd buy a game, install the game, read the manual a bit while waiting for the install to finish, then go ahead and play. It was a simpler time... and in a few years you tell kids about the way games used have been played, and they'll never believe you. :KS

I put this here instead of General Gaming because this can apply not just to games but other software. We've had a problem at my Uni where a tool we were using failed to run because the licensing server had fallen over for some reason. Not only was this tricky to fix since the licensing server had an unusual error, I found this amusing since I was running the same software for personal use at home, using a cracked license server which worked flawlessly. :)

So yeah, welcome to the lockdown of commercial software. No wonder open source is becoming so popular. I have no problem with buying software that doesn't make me run through hoops to run it, but I don't see a reversal of such crappy copy protection schemes (which don't work anyway) anytime soon. It's only gonna get worse.

Polygon
August 23rd, 2007, 04:02 AM
Get the steam version

steam is an AMAZING distribution service

if you ever have to format your computer, simply reinstall steam and reinstall all your games. You can either do this from backups on your computer/cd/dvd or you can just download it from the steam content servers

you can reinstall the game however many times you want

its easy.....

basically prevents piracy as you can only play the game on your account, and once you register the code that came with the game., it cant be used again

yeah. just get the steam version :D

southernman
August 23rd, 2007, 04:07 AM
So how is that gaming adiction battle going? Not to well, it seems! :p

Wasn't that you OP that posted a couple days ago about it?

juxtaposed
August 23rd, 2007, 04:34 AM
I think the best thing to do is buy it but use a crack. The best of both worlds; Supporting the developer, and not being annoyed by activation. I think many people do this when WGA gives them a false positive.

But then again, you might not want to support a developer who will try to put you through stuff like this.

Richardky
August 23rd, 2007, 05:37 AM
It is indeed gone to far ... the solution is to not to support these companies in any way ... problem is seems the majority of consumers dont care ...

Isnt it time to do something when you have to actualy crack the game you just bought and paid $50 or more in order to use it !

GFree678
August 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM
So how is that gaming adiction battle going? Not to well, it seems! :p

Wasn't that you OP that posted a couple days ago about it?
Shut up! :lolflag:

I didn't even hunt for the info, I was just reading some tech news sites like I always do and saw the complaint as an article. I figured it was a serious issue so I posted it.

Relax, I'm still running Linux, I ain't blowing it away for Windows anymore. :)

slimdog360
August 23rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
For online games copy protection is easy enough, like in the battlefield games no two players can use the same key at the same time. That works and I feel is reasonable enough.

karellen
August 23rd, 2007, 07:53 AM
the answer it's simple, don't buy that crappy game (and I'm not suggesting using the cracked version, but...well, it's very tempting)

popch
August 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
the answer it's simple, don't buy that crappy game (and I'm not suggesting using the cracked version, but...well, it's very tempting)

That, plus: tell the vendor in polite but certain terms that you do not buy his product for this very reason.

In addition (in countries where this applies): you can buy one copy, bring it back and demand a refund in full, for reason of hidden flaw which you were unable to detect up to the moment you tried to use the flawed product. Vendors will love you, because the handling of the returned media and of the refund will be more expensive than their markup on the product. If this occurs in each shop more than just a few times, the producer of the product is goint to hear from the vendors.

Check on applicable consumer's rights where you live before you try this one, though. YMMV.

forrestcupp
August 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Enjoy the way things are now. In 20 years you will have to go to the hospital to have a game hardwired into your brain.

marco123
August 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
This is why I bought an XBox360. No more Windows no more activation rubbish and no more stress.#-o

Put the game in and play.

forrestcupp
August 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
This is why I bought an XBox360. No more Windows no more activation rubbish and no more stress.#-o

The only bad thing is that for FPS games, I like the setup of the keyboard and mouse way better than a gamepad. You have a lot more control that way.

marco123
August 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
The only bad thing is that for FPS games, I like the setup of the keyboard and mouse way better than a gamepad. You have a lot more control that way.

I've only ever gamed on consoles so I'm the other way around. lol :)

Edit: I just die continuously when I try to play nexuiz.

Bungo Pony
August 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Old DOS games had an interesting way to prevent piracy. They'd interrupt your game play and ask "What is the seventh word of the third paragraph on page 12 of the owner's manual?" DAMMIT! I knew I shouldn't have thrown out the instructions!

jc87
August 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM

Yes, but :

- The game is loaded from the DVD everytime you play, so higer chances of losing the original.

- The only way to run a backup of a game you adquired in a legitimate way is to "chip" the console, which makes you lose the warranty.

- Consoles (yet) dont have the keyboard + mouse gaming dynamic.

I hate any kind of copy protection mechanisms, they give me more reasons to go "pirate" than they take

marco123
August 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
I've been playing Oblivion for over a year now, disk is still spotless.
I've never backed up a game. Ever.
I've only ever gamed on consoles so the mouse-keyboard combo is completely alien to me.
I have a comfy sofa.:)

I'm not saying that console gaming is for everyone. It just suits my needs perfectly.:)
Also I don't want to have to buy more RAM/configure etc.. It gets quite expensive to stay up to date. (My mate spends a couple hundred every few months.)

raijinsetsu
August 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
... the PS2 had a keyboard/mouse, at least for FFXI.

Personally, I feel copy-protection is a waste of time and money. I don't know who markets this stuff, but there is no such thing as copy protection. How many hackers are out there that will get their hands on a copy of come copy-protected item, and then come up with a crack?

Instead of implementing this wasteful scheme of attempting to prevent piracy, why not try the opposite approach of making it worth your while to purchase the game. Such as, you cannot access support, customer service, or downloads if you haven't registered your game? (yes, registration can be a pain, but it can be automated).

Every method of copy protection is hackable (except in the case of online games, where only one user can run the game at any time). So why bother?

southernman
August 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Shut up! :lolflag:

I didn't even hunt for the info, I was just reading some tech news sites like I always do and saw the complaint as an article. I figured it was a serious issue so I posted it.

Relax, I'm still running Linux, I ain't blowing it away for Windows anymore. :)
*takes a deep breath* whewww

LOL

It is a serious issue indeed. Then again, so is the issue(s) that have caused copyright holders to take the extreme measures they do.

MellonCollie
August 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Edit: Ignore. :)

insane_alien
August 23rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
when will they realise copy-protection measures only affect those who pla by the rules.

at SOME point in the processing cycle it needs to get converted into CPU instructions. just like music need to be converted into sound and video into pictures on the screen. people with the motivation, skills and equipment will always be able to copy it.

forrestcupp
August 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
I'm not saying that console gaming is for everyone. It just suits my needs perfectly.:)
Also I don't want to have to buy more RAM/configure etc.. It gets quite expensive to stay up to date. (My mate spends a couple hundred every few months.)
You just have to pay $500 every time a new system comes out, and however much for all of the games to play on it.

when will they realise copy-protection measures only affect those who pla by the rules.

at SOME point in the processing cycle it needs to get converted into CPU instructions. just like music need to be converted into sound and video into pictures on the screen. people with the motivation, skills and equipment will always be able to copy it.
True. It's kind of like gun control. The only people who follow those rules are the ones no one needs to worry about.

stimpack
August 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
I noticed very early that cracked games were alot less hassle than legal games, back then it was just 'keep cd in the drive all the time' nonsense, but cracked games didnt make you do that. They biting thier own hands by letting cracked games be better than legal ones.