PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, the dark side...

PartisanEntity
August 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Is anyone else worried, that because Ubuntu is so stable, and because you rarely have to fix issues, that your Linux knowledge is fading?

In my Windows days I would sometimes come across applications that suddenly did not want to load anymore, for no apparent reason. It was exciting because you never knew when you had to whip out your computer/tech knowledge.

I have not had to tweak or fix anything on my system for quite a while now, I'm worried I will forget my Linux knowledge (commands and processes).

Anyone else?

bernied
August 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
You could always install gentoo.
Or get some new hardware.

bonzodog
August 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Well, it's clearly time for you to advance, my son, and take the next step in your Linux challenge.

You need to change distro (don't worry, you can still remain loyal to the ubuntu community, just not use it as a distro anymore), and go for something that requires more usage of the CLI.

Challenge yourself, try something like Slackware, or Arch linux, and see how much you can customise the distro so it contains *only* exactly what you need and use, and no other software.

Learn how to do things like write bash scripts, and then build your own custom IPTables Firewall script.

And if you *really* want to scare yourself, write your own custom xorg.conf, with no comments.

Dread Knight
August 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
I don't worry. It's quite relaxing to not tweak s*it all day long and worry your parents will get viruses on their pcs

I have a pdf file with the linux commands... but i usually prefer the GUI.
if you want it, you can pm me your e-mail address.

goumples
August 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
I installed Slackware on an old kit I had lying around.. Ubuntu is a breath of fresh air compared to that distro (talking automatic vs manual). But Slackware forces me to learn more and more, so it can only be a good thing. I won't ever use anything but the Debian family of OS's on my main computers, however.

maniacmusician
August 22nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
There's a simple solution to that, of course; learn more stuff. There's a lot of things that you can learn, new and more efficient tools that you can master, etc. I bet there's a few workflows that you haven't yet discovered, that could increase your overall efficiency. Some interesting places to start;

- Learn to code (long term thing, obviously)
- Learn how to build proper packages for Debian/Ubuntu and join MOTU.
- Start experimenting with different workflows using new tools. There's a CLI equivalent for most GUI tools, for example, and sometimes the CLI version is better. rtorrent and screen (very, very useful) are good examples of this.
- Learn how to triage bugs on launchpad

There's much more of course, those are just the things that have been on my mind lately.

angkor
August 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Is anyone else worried, that because Ubuntu is so stable, and because you rarely have to fix issues, that your Linux knowledge is fading?
I

Yup, it's already happening. I forgot how I always used to get my sound going in Debian after an install. Never had that problem in Ubuntu.

I do think I have notes somewhere in the attic ;)

jgrabham
August 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
I just dont know half of what I need anyway. And Ill need to know even moreif I want to do something in FOSS for a career :[

Dread Knight
August 22nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Here you may download the pdf file list with the linux console commands.
You may stop sending me PM's :D

http://rapidshare.com/files/50632844/fwunixref.pdf.html

PartisanEntity
August 22nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Great input everyone, thanks, of course there is always something new we can teach ourselves and I must admit I had not thought of some of the points mentioned here.

23meg
August 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
There's a simple solution to that, of course; learn more stuff.

Another simple solution: install Gutsy, or whatever the development version of the time is, and hone your skills against the breakage, helping development at the same time.

Ozor Mox
August 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
Haha, this is quite a funny thread when you think about it; someone is complaining that Ubuntu needs fixing so rarely that they are forgetting how to fix it when it does go wrong! I know that's not quite what you mean, but it makes me laugh to read!

Easy suggestion...dual boot with or install on another computer a more tricky Linux distribution, or the development version of Ubuntu, or FreeBSD, or something like that...or Windows :)

K.Mandla
August 22nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
In my old workplace we had a Fedora 4 server that no one knew how to fix, because it never broke. The Windows servers had to be fixed regularly (for reasons that were unknown to me), and then of course the entire office network had to be rebooted anytime one of them needed a restart.

The IT team didn't know what to do with the Linux one because they never had to fix it. They were quite cozy with the Windows ones because they had to fix them all the time. But the reliable, rock-solid one they feared. Ironic, isn't it?

And then, one day, the hard drive in the Fedora server melted down. ... :twisted: (I swear, I had nothing to do with it.) You can imagine the chaos that ensued. ...

Tundro Walker
August 23rd, 2007, 03:15 AM
I actually went through a kind of withdrawal after switching. After installing Windows (98 or XP), I'd always have a list of tweaks and stuff to do to keep me busy for a few days. And there was always the weekly maintenance (virus scan this, defrag that, search-n-destroy temp files and other garbage, etc).

But with Ubuntu, I haven't really had to tweak much. I kinda check the Kleansweep program occasionally for leftover temp files, but really not much to mess with. A lot of the software from the repo's install a menu icon, so no need to ferret around for the program names to make menu items out of. And more folks are using .deb files online to package Linux programs, so they insta-install, too.

Feels kinda odd using an OS that baby-sits me, rather than vice-versa.

g2g591
August 23rd, 2007, 03:16 AM
I feel the same way, even with gutsy. Nothing broke for me (except my upgrade, but easily fixed that) I'm disappointed, gutsy is too stable too soon :p

FuturePilot
August 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
Not me. I'm still learning after a year with Ubuntu. I'm to the point now where I'm not afraid to compile something and can usually do it without any guides. If anything is fading, it's my Windows knowledge:lolflag:

linuxgeekery
August 23rd, 2007, 04:36 AM
Not me. I'm still learning after a year with Ubuntu. I'm to the point now where I'm not afraid to compile something and can usually do it without any guides. If anything is fading, it's my Windows knowledge:lolflag:

It's faded a long time ago - only Linux (Ubuntu+Arch) and OS X now ;)

Learning to program is one really important point, I would say. It gives you an appreciation and knowledge of how things really go on in the OS. Personally, I would recommend Python for starters, but that's just me ;)

HermanAB
August 23rd, 2007, 06:27 AM
Easy - try to install a Linux machine in a large corporation where everything else is Windows, with Active Directory domain authentication on Win2003 Server. That'll hone your skills really quickly.

blithen
August 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

In my Windows days I would sometimes come across applications that suddenly did not want to load anymore, for no apparent reason. It was exciting because you never knew when you had to whip out your computer/tech knowledge.

I have not had to tweak or fix anything on my system for quite a while now, I'm worried I will forget my Linux knowledge (commands and processes).

Anyone else?

I am VERY scared of this EXACT same thing. I will probably get a more CLI based distro and run it in VMware or something. I want to learn! D;

nrs
August 23rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
If you're unable to break it you're not trying hard enough! :D

I was afraid of it at first, but then I realized that I couldn't sit still and there was always something to play with, even in Ubuntu. And when something breaks? Don't fix it the proper way, always find a hackish and novel solution.

Here's my current problem; I've been 2.6.22-ck1 in Feisty with non-packaged NVIDIA drivers. Apparently they've messed with a bunch of Xorg stuff in /usr/lib so when switching (6600GT has to visit the family computer :() to my ATI 9800XT and fglrx earlier I was enable to get X going. I haven't had much time to think about it though, and I think this may have happened before. I'll fix it when I have time.

Dark Star
August 23rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
I have 3 OS all are Open Source .. So there is much fr me to learn :D After I'll get myself a bit more pro.. I'll make contirbution in Developing ver. like Gusty and upcoming :D

miggols99
August 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Use Arch Linux. It's definitely taught me a lot about the CLI. Also I got a nice KDE as well ;) I think I've installed it quite a lot of times. It is also much much faster than Ubuntu. I've now taken the plunge and installed 64bit, which I have found to be much faster with generally everything :)

PartisanEntity
August 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
I definitely have to get myself another machine where I can play around with other distros. At the moment I have one laptop and this is the machine I use to do everything, so I don't want to tinker with new distros on it and risk messing it up.

wersdaluv
August 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM

Anyone else?

As for me, I prefer using my computer over learning how to use it.

happysmileman
August 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
As for me, I prefer using my computer over learning how to use it.

I agree, I find it fun to mess around and customise stuff, but there just isn't anything to customise on Kubuntu after a few days and I think that's a lot better than having to fix problems a lot.

I got an external hard drive for other distros such as Gentoo but I can' boot from it so I'm stuck on Ubuntu.

I might switch after my brother goes to college to something with KDE4, in fact I may switch to Gentoo or something like that, but I'm kinda unsure about whether it's a good idea to do that, while I have installed Gentoo and even Linux from scratch they were both just following instructions, I don't really think I "learned" much from them

sanderella
August 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm glad this thread has come up. As a non-geek I worry about the day in 10? 20? years time when Linux is so perfect it doesn't need any more work on it, and everyone alive has forgotten or never knew how to write it. :confused: Any predictions?

tdrusk
August 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
There are many things you can mess with. Just use your imagination. Try setting up a LAMP server without a guide, or even with a guide. That was a very rewarding process for me.

I want to learn how to program in Python. I heard it's one of the easiest and most used programming languages. I like to deal with problems and getting things fixed. It makes me feel like I know what I'm doing.

ahaslam
August 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
If you're unable to break it you're not trying hard enough! :D
;)

JAPrufrock
August 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM

Anyone else?

Yes, absolutely. I haven't done anything to Ubuntu in months. Even Feisty updated without any problem. I'm forgetting things every day...my minds going... damn- I forgot my password...can't boot up... and I forgot how to re-install?..... bye bye.