PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Ubuntu have more ISO's?

MedivhX
August 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
OK, I'm a little bit confused here... Why doesn't Ubuntu have more ISO's available online for download? I'm thinking of something like Debian has.

First ISO - the main one that would be shipped for free over ShipIT
Several other ISOs - these would have additional software packages, drivers etc.

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
OK, I'm a little bit confused here... Why doesn't Ubuntu have more ISO's available online for download? I'm thinking of something like Debian has.

First ISO - the main one that would be shipped for free over ShipIT
Several other ISOs - these would have additional software packages, drivers etc.

It does, it has:

* Live CD and Installer
* Alternative CD
* DVD (more packages)

What more do you want?

Zuph
August 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Because Ubuntu doesn't suffer from the terrible bloat that plagues other distros?

TBOL3
August 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
He's not meaning that ubuntu should require all of these packages, but for someone who doesn't have the internet, they can download and burn it somewhere else, and use it on there computer.

luckyd
August 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
check out apt on cd

MedivhX
August 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
It does, it has:

* Live CD and Installer
* Alternative CD
* DVD (more packages)

What more do you want?

Live CD doesn't have enought software packages... It has only the most basic ones... Alternative CD is same as Live CD is - the only difference is in the installer (Live CD has graphic installer, and Alternative CD has textual installer). And i know about DVD, but I need ISO's that can be burned to CD!

Because Ubuntu doesn't suffer from the terrible bloat that plagues other distros?

Why is having more software packages considered a "bloat"?! What if I had dial-up connection (as many people in my country still do)?

EDIT:

He's not meaning that ubuntu should require all of these packages, but for someone who doesn't have the internet, they can download and burn it somewhere else, and use it on there computer.

That's right! :)

PriceChild
August 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
The DVD version contains the entire main and restricted repositories.

If you want to make cds/dvds of the universe/multiverse repositories then choose which packages and use aptoncd

smiggs
August 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
And i know about DVD, but I need ISO's that can be burned to CD!

Why do you particulary need CDs? Are you dealing with lots of legacy hardware? A dvd writer doesn't really cost a great deal and if you're dealing with a high volume of disks you might actually save money by using the DVDs if you can get the disks at reasonable cost.

LaRoza
August 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
You can buy Ubuntu on 6 DVD's at thelinuxstore.ca.

UbuWu
August 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Here is a howto for creating dvd's with everything in the repositories:

http://cargol.net/~ramon/ubuntu-dvd-en.html