PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard recommendations?

Visti
August 22nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Hi! My girlfriend has recently experienced some pain after typing for extended periods of time and it's become painfully obvious that there's a need for something more ergonomical than the standard QWERTY brick that's on the desk right now. So I'm looking for recommendations - I should probably be nice and clicky and we're not looking to spend a crazy amount for media keys or anything like that. Also, an included mouse isn't really necessary.

Well, fire away! What's your favorite?

A3sthetix
August 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
Natural keyboards are quite good. They take some getting used to, but can make quite a difference.

http://www.everythingusb.com/microsoft_natural_ergonomic_keyboard_4000.html

Extreme ergonomic options:
http://www.safecomputing.com/splitkey.html

Also, I wish I was able to do this:
http://www-ksl.stanford.edu/people/kpfleger/ergo/
Except, I would have a much better chair.

mips
August 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Logitech UltraX (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/business/products/keyboards/devices/662&cl=gb,en)

IBM Model M (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_Keyboard)

der_joachim
August 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
It takes some getting used to, but you should consider switching to dvorak. Dvorak is a keyboard layout specifcally designed to reduce ergonomic stress on the wrists. I've been using it for a few months now and I would not like to switch back any more. You'll have to learn to touch typing, but the necessity for a new keyboard well be much less. There is a big Dvorak megathread in this subforum. Just take a look and see if it will solve your GF's problems.

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM
Is she resting her wrists on the desk?

Keep wrists straight when typing.

Visti
August 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Is she resting her wrists on the desk?

Keep wrists straight when typing.

She was actually bending them a bit, so I suggested keeping them straight. However, given her long sessions of nothing but writing with no breaks, I think she would definetly benefit from a more ergonomic solution.

mips > It seems like what she has is a Model M rip (a Compaq one, at that) and it's not really doing anyone any favors excepts it's nice clicky keys.

I'm looking for something like A3sthetix posted - In fact, the first one on your list is exactly what I thought about getting, I just wanted to hear some different perspectives. But I'm definetly considering going with one those natural, split kinda things.

der_joachim > Dvorak seems little a lot of hassle - I kinda fail to see the actual benefit.. Is it just a new layout? Also, consideration must be taken to the fact that we live in Denmark and would very much prefer a keyboard that can be found with national symbols and keys.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming!

mips
August 23rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
I tried one of those natural keyboards before but it just did not work for me. I gave it to a friend and in turn it was given to someone else I think.

The Logitech UltraX is very flat and has thin laptop keys, so far the keyboard I'm happiest with.

der_joachim
August 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
I tried one of those natural keyboards before but it just did not work for me. I gave it to a friend and in turn it was given to someone else I think.

The Logitech UltraX is very flat and has thin laptop keys, so far the keyboard I'm happiest with.

+1 I have a MediaX by logitech. These are fine keyboards.

Dark Star
August 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Eh :) Go for samsung Pleomax if she game :p Else any Ergonomic or Comfortable keyboard will do the job :)

curuxz
August 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
try using that dovak thing, there are lots of discussions about it, supposed to be very good for peoples wrists!

popch
August 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Please have her see a doctor or a physical therapist (however they are called at your place) before even thinking of buying new hardware.

It might be a 'hardware' problem with her wrist. It is also possible that she has to learn how to move her wrists, hands and fingers, and that she would produce the same problems over and over again with every new keyboard. It's even possible that she uses a chair which is too low or too high for her.

Visti
August 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Please have her see a doctor or a physical therapist (however they are called at your place) before even thinking of buying new hardware.

It might be a 'hardware' problem with her wrist. It is also possible that she has to learn how to move her wrists, hands and fingers, and that she would produce the same problems over and over again with every new keyboard. It's even possible that she uses a chair which is too low or too high for her.

Of course, this was a concern and I was on my way to damaging my wrists like that once, so I would have shipped her to the doctor immediately. However, it turns out that it might have been caused by a session of horseback riding and it was just overworked (phew) - Still, it's an excuse for getting rid of this old thing that's not doing anybody any favors. She does type a lot for extended periods of time, so a more friendly typing environment is needed still. Just a little update! Would still love to hear more suggestions. I'm leaning towards the MS Ergo 4000 right now, because of both the padding and the split setup. We won't be switching to dvorak right now, because as I said there's a need for localized characters and such.

But please do keep suggestions coming!

A3sthetix
August 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM
DVORAK has been around for quite sometime.

The thing about a QWERTY keyboard is that it was made to make type-writer users slow down in order to stop a jam. It's unfortunate that the industry is so stuck with QWERTY. Getting used to a new keyboard layout is a pain in the ***, but will benefit you in the long run.

History of Dvorak
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/history.html

HotShotDJ
August 24th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Some folks have recommended a DVORAK keyboard, which may help. However, since most touch-typists (including myself) are most familiar with QWERTY, I highly recommend a "natural" keyboard. I used a generic natural keyboard for years and had no trouble getting used to it. Within a week of using it, my WPM had returned to 85 - 90 as it had been with a standard keyboard.