PDA

View Full Version : Man nicked in London for stealing Wifi

xpod
August 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Dont think it`s been posted?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6958429.stm

What do you think??
Should they throw the book at him(or the laptop even for being so stupid) or should they possibly have a wee chat with the people paying for the connection for not having secured it properly:)

Of course it might have been secured but if most people are anything like the majority of our friends and neighbors(used to be)then it would`nt have taken much "hacking" to get in.....i only use the term for want of a better one before someone corrects me.:)

I`m not sure they even have a case unless the people paying for the connection wish to press charges.....mabey i`m wrong if he`s already confessed to a crime of some sort though???
Not sure about that one??

leedsdevil
August 22nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
LOL noway what BS people need to get there head out of thier butts come on if its not locked then any one should be able to use it and if they dont then shame on them

curuxz
August 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
well if your retarded enough to sit in front of someone elses house with a laptop!

Its like that guy who parked his car outside of peoples houses with his windows blacked out, ofcourse someone called the cops.

If your going to leach of others net connection dont be a moron about it.

phrostbyte
August 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Only if the owner of the wifi presses charges.

xpod
August 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
LOL noway what BS people need to get there head out of thier butts come on if its not locked then any one should be able to use it and if they dont then shame on them

:)
I`ve informed quite a few of our neighbors about their unsecured wireless networks,as a consequence i have a very good understanding with most round here.....if needs be anyway.

well if your retarded enough to sit in front of someone elses house with a laptop!

Its like that guy who parked his car outside of peoples houses with his windows blacked out, ofcourse someone called the cops.

If your going to leach of others net connection dont be a moron about it.

+1
It`s "Worlds Dumbest Criminals" fodder thats for sure:)

EDIT:

Only if the owner of the wifi presses charges.

Thats what i thought too

bobbocanfly
August 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
If someone is stupid enough to leave their Wifi open for all to use then they surely deserve it?

Even in the over-simplified setups for Windows users it asks do you want to protect your network with a password so noone except you can use it. If you click no at that point you have mental issues.

perce
August 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Next time you will be charged for reading yesterday newspapers at the park. It's a really sad world :(

sailor2001
August 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
there was a recent case here in the states that a guy parked outside a coffee house using his laptop leeching the wifi from the business. It's more a moral issue. The business gives free internet access to customers to increase his business. Someone sitting outside the property is actually stealing from that business. Yes he was arrested and fined.

aSpork
August 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
What do you think??
Should they throw the book at him(or the laptop even for being so stupid) or should they possibly have a wee chat with the people paying for the connection for not having secured it properly:)
Both. Throwing laptops isn't necessary though. They normally cost at least 500 bucks. Don't waste those 500 bucks.

Lord Illidan
August 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Well, he shouldn't have done it..and I believe their wifi should have been secured in the first place!

lepz
August 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
There are loads of wifi hotspots in Chiswick, most of the coffee shops and pubs on the high street have them.

koenn
August 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
In Belgium; it's a illegal to enter a house without permission from the owner/occupant, even if the doors aren't locked.
Likewise, it's a illegal to gain access to 'IT systems' (computers, networks, storage, ...) without permission, whether it's sufficiently secured or not. The act of accessing is a crime/offense in itself, theft of data, damage to data or systems, etc would only make it worse.

According to the article, Britain has similar lows :
Dishonestly obtaining free internet access is an offence under the Communications Act 2003 and a potential breach of the Computer Misuse Act.
so all the talk about "it should have been secured" etc are just lame excuses. And the owners wouldn't have to press charges or prove "damage" or "loss".
If you're gonna break the law, you better know what you're doing, and be prepared to face the consequences. Simple as that.

jgrabham
August 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Using a computer for illegal purposes is pretty much all the computer misuse act is - accessing peoples files, sending viruses etc.

He didnt invade the mans privacy OR cause him inconvienience, so It probabally shouldnt come under it.