PDA

View Full Version : 3d drawing software

aquavitae
August 22nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Can anyone recommend some good softare for drawing in 3d. I'm looking for something in which it is easy to produce decent 3d drawing/diagrams to mm accuracy. I've had a look at google sketchup (under windows) and its along the lines of what I want, but it doesn't seem too good with anything too complicated.

Any suggestions?

DirtDawg
August 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM
If you are looking for casual tools, I would recommend Blender3D or Wings3D, both in the repositories.

If you're looking for drafting software with a high level of accuracy, you should look into cad for Linux. I know qcad and pycad are in the repos, but i've never used them and don't even know if they handle 3D. Do a search for Cad for Linux and see what you find.

EDIT: theres a thread here about cad and Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=141735

Good Luck

aquavitae
August 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I've used blender before, so I know what its like, but I've never tried wings. Blender I've found to be more aimed towards artists. Accuracy is fairly important, but more than that is speed. I need to be able to produce the drawing quickly, not necessarily artisticly - my experience of blender is that it takes a long time to draw something, but produces really high quality.

Thanks for the link to the cad thread, cycas seems to be the best option there, although its pay software :(

Btw, while I'd obviously prefer linux programs, I'd be quite happy if I could only find something that works in windows.