PDA

View Full Version : Decided to go with xubuntu

tcpip4lyfe
August 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM
I decided to go from ubuntu to xubuntu today. After about an hour of getting compiz set up and codecs and what not and Im really not seeing any difference other then it's faster because of xfce. Not just a little faster but probably 50% faster. (even with compiz)

Bottom line. I like it. :)

Next step is gentoo. I'll need a working printer for that one though. Seems to be basically linux from scratch.

Dimitriid
August 22nd, 2007, 03:51 AM
It is faster but I ran into problems setting up multimedia and during the install ( decides to download way too many things and just refuses to continue the install if you have no internet connection, kind of counter productive for a distro made for older pcs )

tcpip4lyfe
August 22nd, 2007, 05:15 AM
It is faster but I ran into problems setting up multimedia and during the install ( decides to download way too many things and just refuses to continue the install if you have no internet connection, kind of counter productive for a distro made for older pcs )

Actually I ran into that when it was installing open office. (which I never use) It took a good 45 min to get connected and download open office. Good thing the simpsons were on.

reacocard
August 22nd, 2007, 05:19 AM
for some reason gnome seems to have some overhead that slow stuff down. I currently run a custom session mostly based on xfce, it feels much more responsive than gnome ever was. cpu usage at idle is 0-1% compared to 4-5% in gnome, and applications take slightly less time to start.

Gargamella
August 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm also with xubuntu, you have the friendliness of ubuntu with the speed of xfce