PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here hate Internet Explorer?

Stex
August 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Hey, are there many of you that share my distaste for Internet Explorer from the view of a webdesigner/webdeveloper? I hate it very much and being on linux I leave testing on IE until the very end which leads me to utter despair as it never works with my full standards xhtml and css.

I've got a spare domain name from a hosting plan and thought a site for people to rant about coding would be a fun endevour. I'm not talking about a constructive place for help/solutions, just a place to rant. It's in jest of course and would be a really small, anonymous, site where people just... have a go at IE.

So I wonder, do you think this is a good idea? And if you do what would be a good domain? I was thinking things like accursedIE.com but maybe you could find a funkier adjective http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/accursed :p

Notes:
- I'm not bringing microsoft the company or windows into this at all, everything is a (fun) flame at IE
- I'm not encouraging people to block IE. In fact, in a strange way, I'm kind of promoting the support of it

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Hey, are there many of you that share my distaste for Internet Explorer from the view of a webdesigner/webdeveloper? I hate it very much and being on linux I leave testing on IE until the very end which leads me to utter despair as it never works with my full standards xhtml and css.

Notes:
- I'm not bringing microsoft the company or windows into this at all, everything is a (fun) flame at IE
- I'm not encouraging people to block IE. In fact, in a strange way, I'm kind of promoting the support of it

I follow the standards and I get things working in IE, although I wish I didn't have to.

IE makes me sick, especially IE6, IE7 isn't so bad, although I don't use it for browsing.

When I design a site, the dreaded test is the IE test.

Not able to think of a name, sorry.

init1
August 22nd, 2007, 01:23 AM

I've got a spare domain name from a hosting plan and thought a site for people to rant about coding would be a fun endevour. I'm not talking about a constructive place for help/solutions, just a place to rant. It's in jest of course and would be a really small, anonymous, site where people just... have a go at IE.

So I wonder, do you think this is a good idea? And if you do what would be a good domain? I was thinking things like accursedIE.com but maybe you could find a funkier adjective http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/accursed :p

Notes:
From a web developer's viewpoint? IE has support for useful javascript and other features that Firefox does not. I do not complain about that. Bad browser, but better support.

alphomega
August 22nd, 2007, 01:55 AM
IE 7 still doesnt support all the CSS 2 selectors. Great how one browser can hold back the web.

Oh anyone really use XHTML? IE 7 still does not support application/xml so we are still serving pages as text/html - well no wonder XHTML 2 will never arrive whats the point!

Im up for having a go at IE and anything that uses the trident engine eg AOL

original_jamingrit
August 22nd, 2007, 02:05 AM
IE6 faints at the sight of most Javascript attacks that other browsers would shrug off.

Also, two and a half words: Active X plugins.

Iceni
August 22nd, 2007, 02:15 AM
I don't really mind - I test my pages in every other browser and then try IE. Unless its for a company or anything else I get paid for I don't care, just leave a small note about better browsers. Opera and Firefox shows stuff differently as well.

That being said, IE7 is a quite good browser (from a user's perspective).

izizzle
August 22nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
I started hating it ever since I started using firefox. However, I REALLY have ie7, very bad design and functionality.

steven8
August 22nd, 2007, 02:21 AM
No. I don't hate it. It's always worked okay for me.

Neostar
August 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
The thing I hate most about IE are it's inability to support transparent PNG images ](*,)

GFree678
August 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
Yup. I'm always a little depressed since how widespread its use is and how much ignorance people have of better solutions. Then I remind myself it's not my problem, so I forget it.

Billy_McBong
August 22nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
sounds like a great idea for a site

make sure you post the domain once you make it

kuja
August 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
The last time I designed something IE had me banging my head against the wall. I H-A-T-E IE!!!! With a passion!

curuxz
August 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
the biggest problem on the internet and the worst thing for web designers. IE

I cant say how much I hate this, there simply is no limit.

stuh84
August 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
The amount of times I have had to bodge code and use work arounds to make XHTML/CSS compliant pages work in IE is beyond belief.

I cannot believe how after all this time, they still cannot display pages built to standards correctly. Worse of all, the amount of sites which only work in IE......aargh, I prefer the term Internet Exploder myself.......

rharriso
August 22nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
They completely changed around teh FTP look. Now it is completely useless.

23meg
August 22nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I cannot believe how after all this time, they still cannot display pages built to standards correctly.

It's not that they can't; they don't.

userundefine
August 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Yes I really hate IE. I wish the IE team would just get over themselves and adopt Gecko. Or KHTML. Or license Opera's rendering engine. Have you EVER tried to debug javascript in IE? Oh my god.

Worst software ever.

le sigh

Dropbear
August 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
IE would have to be the world's most troublesome piece of software. IE4 was probably the worst.

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
From a web developer's viewpoint? IE has support for useful javascript and other features that Firefox does not. I do not complain about that. Bad browser, but better support.
If you are using Standard ECMAScript with the DOM, as I do, IE support is lacking.

DamjanDimitrioski
August 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
No, i don't hate the slow ie, but if i see one of the developers of ie, i can terminate them.

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
No, i don't hate the slow ie, but if i see one of the developers of ie, i can terminate them.

Don't blame the developers, after all, MS bought IE and mangled it from there.

curuxz
August 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
would it not be easier to have a who LIKES IE thread?

we may finally be able to work out who bill gates' user is on these forums ;)

insane_alien
August 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
in one of my forays into webdesign(i'm not really that into it, i just take a mild interest from time to time.) i made a website. i looked up the standards to make sure everything i was doing was correct. everything was fine. i even found a checker program that said it was 100% compatible. tried it in firefox looked fine, loaded it up on the server, told all my frieds and they said it sucked the *** of a dead donkey. i looked in IE and seen what they ment.

didn't change anything because i don't know anyworkarounds. told everyone to use something standards compliant.

hopefully MS will realise there is no point producing nonstandards compliant software like there is not point producing narrow guage trains for standard guage track.

Bungo Pony
August 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I was using Netscape for the longest time before I realized that I didn't have much of a choice to switch to IE since it was much faster at loading web pages. I put up with so much crashing from that POS. When I finally discovered Opera, I quit using IE (except for one site which requires it)

bonzodog
August 22nd, 2007, 02:23 PM
I don't know, i've never used it before. Seriously. NEVER. My first experience on the net was with netscape navigator, on a Linux machine. I have used windows, but it always had Firefox/phoenix/Netscape already installed, and thats what i stuck with.

I never really understood or knew what Active X was, I just assume it's some sort of proprietary MS plugin that screws up websites. Everytime I stumble into one, I have it taken down/hacked/spammed into hell.

kuja
August 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
It's not really the fault of the developers. In all honesty from what I've seen/read they actually look pretty bright. The people you need to blame are their bosses, their bosses bosses, etc.

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
. The people you need to blame are their bosses, their bosses bosses, etc.

PHB

23meg
August 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
http://i18.tinypic.com/68hto2x.png

miggols99
August 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yes. I blocked Internet Explorer from doing anything with a firewall. Then my sister (who used to hate Firefox) said "unblock internet explorer!!" but I said no, use firefox. She said about a week later "this is so much faster! It doesn't take ages to go to a different tab!" so I converted them :) Next to convert them to Linux. They've seen Compiz Fusion, and my sister is impressed ;)

katasuka
August 22nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
IE makes me horribly angry. its slow, its annoying, its layout sucks butt and it seems to like to render fonts the way it wants despite TELLING it to redent a font to a certain size.

i recently was working on a site, it was a beautiful site. fully complient. rendered wonderfully in firefox on ubuntu. i put it up to test it on the server and had my roommates mother (windows xp with IE7) view it to see how it looked. come to find out IE wanted to render the fonts much larger than they were supposed to be. i went over there to look at it and sure enough IE fudged up my beautiful design. pissed me off horribly.

Well, i tried to fix it but by fixing it it made the page non complient and also made it mess up on some other browsers. so i had to redo it. the redo was a very very very simple layout and it worked. IE IS STUPID!

i think anyone who thinks IE is great needs to try firefox. if they dont like firefox, try freaking k-ninja or k-meleon or opera or something. just dont use IE its evil and just wrong and will shorten you lifespan!

popch
August 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
It's called Internet Explorer? I've always thought it was Exploder!

LaRoza
August 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
It's called Internet Explorer? I've always thought it was Exploder!

Internet Explorer, i.e. Internet Exploder

blueturtl
August 22nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Here are two links I think everyone who hates IE can enjoy:

Kill Bill's Browser - Switch to Firefox (http://www.killbillsbrowser.com/)

and finally

Internet Explorer is EVIL (http://toastytech.com/evil/index.html)

For the latter site, I have to say this guy makes you guys look like Bill Gates fanboys. :D

Enjoy...

kelvin spratt
August 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Only use Ie for Xp updates takes about 5 mins to start up then seems to work ok till i reboot, FF works flawless and handles Java well.

init1
August 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
They completely changed around teh FTP look. Now it is completely useless.
FTP kills IE.

goumples
August 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
I will never use IE again.. I tried firefox and opera a few years ago, and have never looked back. Unfortunately I still have 1 windows machine left, and the only browser that works with windows update is IE.. but other than that IE is garbage.

anindya.baruah
August 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
IE always works fine for me. Sometimes I only need to make very minor modifications to my code to get it to work properly with IE. And with the help of the IE Tab firefox extension its even easier to make sure that the design is working fine with IE. :D

And I don't hate IE even though I don't use it. Infact I like IE 7 with its address bar at the top and the hidden menu bar. :)

hobieone
August 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
did you even have to ask if anyone hated it. ie the headache it causes. i don't think internetnet exploder is an acurate discription for it more like internet virus and spyware magnet would be more accurate

Stex
August 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
It's good to know I'm not alone! Some of those messages were pretty funny.

I've written the site I described and have put it up to see how it goes. I decided that for added irony I'd try for a web2.0 look (as IE is holding back that kind of thing) as well as nice CSS rounded corners, except in opera which seems to have ditched that. It doesn't look so great but it's a first draft and if anyone wants to help with images that'd be awesome.

So if anyone wants to join in and post a rant then please have a gander: http://fullvolume.co.uk/ie/

And, yes, it's unlikely to render properly in IE but I haven't tested it and that feels good :)

RJARRRPCGP
August 22nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
Yes. I blocked Internet Explorer from doing anything with a firewall. Then my sister (who used to hate Firefox) said "unblock internet explorer!!" but I said no, use firefox. She said about a week later "this is so much faster! It doesn't take ages to go to a different tab!" so I converted them :) Next to convert them to Linux. They've seen Compiz Fusion, and my sister is impressed ;)

That's what I have to do with copies of Windows XP that Microsoft claims is non-genuine!

Microsoft, ATM, won't block security hotfixes, especially if I download them myself and run them manually!

In fact, I only lost out on the following:

Internet Explorer 7

and

Windows Media Player 11

Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11 are the only ones that has the demand-validation-when-using-it garbage!

greymongrey
August 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Windows might not be nearly as bad if they didn't have IE and then tie it to the kernel. IE takes a bad situation and make it worse.

Happy_Man
August 22nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
I don't hate IE, per se. I just think they could have done a better job with it. For years now, they had IE 6 which was...... not so good when compared to Opera and Firefox. IE 7 is a step in the right direction.

They do need to hammer stuff out though. Their current tab implementation (which appears to be load a separate instance of the browser renderer into every tab) is slow and could be better. They need to make it fully OS-independent (not saying they should release a Linux version, but try and make it so that the OS doesn't need it to function). They need to make some UI improvements (the current one reminds me of diseased water). They also have to raise awareness of stuff like RSS, so that the normal layperson can take advantage of them more easily. Other than that, IE 7 is a great browser for the normal user.

sloggerkhan
August 23rd, 2007, 12:01 AM
IE 6 is something from hell.... we use it on all the machines at my job because of some government refusal to allow ff. (The policy is 'if a user asks you to install something for them, do it, unless it's firefox. We do not support firefox.') I think it's because everyone uses IE6 w/ run as in a lame attempt to create a sudo equivalent for windows.

macogw
August 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
who DOESNT IE after they've learned to use CSS?

angryfirelord
August 23rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
IE 7 is actually pretty good. IE 6 was pretty bad and slow at everything.

LookTJ
August 23rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
IE7 takes a load more memory than IE6 and slower browsing than IE6.

angryfirelord
August 23rd, 2007, 03:06 AM
IE7 takes a load more memory than IE6 and slower browsing than IE6.
Hmm, I had the opposite effect. IE 7 was faster for me and actually took up less RAM on my machine.

bobbybobington
August 23rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
I never really hated IE, I just tried firefox one day and used it from then on because it was better.

victorgreen
October 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM
yes

iPower
October 6th, 2007, 12:16 AM
i never tested my webpage with MSIE

ahaslam
October 6th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Anyone here hate Internet Explorer?

Dunno, daren't use it ;)