PDA

View Full Version : Acer pre loaded with Ubuntu

Dave Crowhurst
August 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM
I have been searching around for information on laptops that come pre loaded with Ubuntu and stumbled across this news online...

http://www.slashgear.com/acer-aspire-5710z-features-ubuntu-preinstalled-316525.php

Linux has always been pretty easy to get your hands on. You just pick out your favorite distro, download it and install. Piece of cake, right? Until recently, it has been much more difficult to get Linux preinstalled on a machine, unless it was a server. Dell has already begun offering systems that include Ubuntu rather than Windows, for a decent savings. It appears that Acer is now following in their footsteps.

While it doesn’t look like Acer has launched an entire line of Linux-based machines, however, there has been an advertisement in Singapore for an Acer Aspire 5710Z with Ubuntu preinstalled.

According to the advertisement you can pick one up for around $660 which is a savings of around $100 when compared to the same model with Windows Vista Home Premium. Unfortunately this appears to be only available in Singapore. Lets hope that this promotion ends up turning into a full-blown line of Ubuntu laptops from Acer.

So i'm thinking it is my lucky day. All I have to do is go to a UK resellers website and order one. Oh, there seems to be a problem :(

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39288325,00.htm

Acer will not release Linux-based laptops in the UK due to a lack of demand, despite launching an Ubuntu-based machine in Asia.

The Acer Aspire 5710Z has gone on sale in Singapore pre-loaded with Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows. Ubuntu is currently one of the world's most popular and easiest-to-use Linux distributions.

But a spokesperson for Acer told ZDNet.co.uk on Tuesday that the company — one of the world's top laptop manufacturers — currently had "no plans" to sell any Linux-based systems in the UK. "[Acer models] with Ubuntu pre-loaded are available at the factory level. However, there is no demand for it in the UK. Therefore, those configurations are not an option [for UK customers] at the moment," said the spokesperson.

"If the demand was there, then Acer would sell it," the spokesperson said, adding that such a demand would have to be reported to Acer by its UK resellers.

As a mac user i'm used to nice design (I currently use a G3 PPC iBook). The Dell Inspiron 6400n is okay but not very nice to look at (in my opinion), but the Acer 'gemstone' design is much nicer (again, my opinion).

I just sent Acer europe an email asking them how I can buy a 5710z. If I get a reply i'll let you know ;)

ddrichardson
August 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
If its any consolation there are two major manufacturers now offering Ubuntu in the UK - Lenovo and Dell.

There's more about this on Slashdot (http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/01/1623246).

Dave Crowhurst
August 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
I dug a bit deeper and it seems that there is a bit of confusion over the Aspire 5710z. Some folks at Acer say it ships with no OS from the factory, whilst others say it is a factory install of Ubuntu.

On the plus side it appears that major players are now deciding it is a good business idea to give customers some choice. Dell, Lenovo and now Acer.

Linuxratty
January 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Yup,things are pickung up for Linux.