PDA

View Full Version : Attach your boot-chart!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

st33med
August 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Everybody, attach your boot charts!

Arwen
August 21st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Well no problem doing it but how?

st33med
August 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
To attach a file: click on the paper-clip in the advance Reply to topic. A window pops-up. Click the browse button, and browse to the file, namely /var/log/bootchart/*. Then click 'Upload' and close the window. It is now attached to your reply.

Or, if you mean you don't have bootchart:

sudo apt-get install bootchart
Then reboot and look in /var/log/bootchart

Arwen
August 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Thanx for both :-)
I'll post tomorrow ,I feel too sleepy know zz :-P
Goodnight :-D

Paul820
August 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Here's mine:

st33med
August 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Paul, do you use any restricted packages? Or ALSA?

Paul820
August 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
Restricted packages? I use the ATI restricted graphics driver, as for ALSA, that's sound isn't it? I don't know about that, sound just works so i don't mess with it. My laptop 'just works' with ubuntu so i don't mess with any settings in case i break it :)

Paul820
August 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM
So.....why did you ask :confused:

st33med
August 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Eh. You could make it go a little faster.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491&highlight=faster+boot

Obor
August 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Here is mine

synthaxx
August 22nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Here's mine (before boot optimization).
Keep in mind though, it's running from a 2.5" laptop HD since its an HTPC and it needs to be as quiet as possible.

Now to do some tweaking! Anybody have any tips?

PartisanEntity
August 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Remember to clean up /var/log/bootchart from time to time, I installed it 3 months ago and forgot about it, upon looking into the folder today I had 162 bootcharts taking up 14MB :)

Interestingly it now takes my laptop 5 seconds longer to boot compared to 3 months ago.

reacocard
August 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
32 seconds on a laptop w/ 1.7ghz Pentium M and a 5400rpm HD, beat that!

I still have ideas left for tweaking too...

st33med
September 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
In bumping this thread, this is how to make it boot faster.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=faster+boot

And, if it is stuck on Checking Network Interfaces:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

Comment out everything BUT lines with 'lo'.

st33med
September 2nd, 2007, 11:38 PM
32 seconds on a laptop w/ 1.7ghz Pentium M and a 5400rpm HD, beat that!

I have better :)
Try '20 seconds'

smartboyathome
September 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
In bumping this thread, this is how to make it boot faster.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=faster+boot

And, if it is stuck on Checking Network Interfaces:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

Comment out everything BUT lines with 'lo'.

two things:
1) that link doesn't work
2) will commenting out checking network interfaces make it so I cannot connect to the internet?

st33med
September 2nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
two things:
1) that link doesn't work
2) will commenting out checking network interfaces make it so I cannot connect to the internet?

1) Sorry, here is the right one.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491&highlight=Faster+boot
2) It can, but it really depends. Backup your interfaces files if you don't think it will work and you can't remember what command to do.

reacocard
September 3rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
I have better :)
Try '20 seconds'

Nice, but look closely at mine. my 32 seconds includes starting xorg and most of my desktop too, if you look at when xorg starts, you get about 21 seconds, quite comparable.

Oddly, it was 37 before I turned off a feature that was supposed to decrease boot time. Oh well...

stalker145
September 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hmmm, 44 seconds without too much effort. Is that good for a 1GHz, 6 year-old laptop?

stmiller
September 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
0:29 with an AMD X2 3600.

0:46 with 867Mhz Powerbook G4.

st33med
September 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Hmmm, 44 seconds without too much effort. Is that good for a 1GHz, 6 year-old laptop?

Pretty good.
Another thing you can do is press 'e' at the GRUB menu on your kernel. Go down to the line that begins with 'kernel', hit 'e' again, and add 'profile' at the end. Hit Enter and then 'b' to boot. It will now profile the boot up files for faster reading by making those files closer to the center of disk. It will take longer for that boot, but, on your next reboot, you could see an increase from 1-10 seconds. It improved mine by 3 seconds.

Spr0k3t
September 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Here's mine... I haven't done anything to optimize the boot times yet. Running gnome with kde apps so some elements of both DEs are loading.

I'm going to try a few of those speed tweaks mentioned.

st33med
September 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Here's mine... I haven't done anything to optimize the boot times yet. Running gnome with kde apps so some elements of both DEs are loading.

I'm going to try a few of those speed tweaks mentioned.

My prediction: you will smash my record. On lucky days, I can have boot-up times of 19 seconds.

bobbocanfly
September 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
God my boot time is utterly crap!

st33med
September 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM

Don't worry, just follow the link and my instructions in previous posts.

I think I should write a HOWTO to make Ubuntu faster, because that previous link hasn't updated since a looooonnnnng time and uses Dapper.

Another thing to disable in sysv-rc-conf is brltty. It is for brail output devices in a shell, and, if you or someone you know uses your computer isn't blind, then turn that off.

st33med
September 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Oh, and, if you do profile, don't turn off readahead. It is needed to find those profiled files faster.

Another thing, some people have an option in your BIOS to choose whether you want your hard drive for performance, quiet, or normal speed. Check your BIOS by rapidly hitting the button that onscreen says 'Setup' on bootup. Scroll through the menus to try and find Hard-drive performance.

I don't do overclocking, because a) I don't want to reduce my CPU's lifespan, and b) My vendor, Dell, has locked in the clockspeed, and I can't modify it through the BIOS.

reacocard
September 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
To those wanting to speed up their boot (and everything else in fact), k.mandla has an awesome guide over on his blog: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/04/22/howto-set-up-feisty-for-speed/

eph1973
September 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Here are my bootcharts for before I did anything, to doing the few quick tweaks mentioned in the above file in the section titled "Step by step". Gained 8 seconds, from :50 to :42. Not too bad, I really don't want to run a real minimalist setup.

RageOfOrder
September 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Doesn't this just make you horny? :P (http://omploader.org/vMndo/bootchart.png)

Sabayon = Bloated Gentoo :(

foxy123
September 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM
here is mine

stmiller
September 4th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Doesn't this just make you horny? :P (http://omploader.org/vMndo/bootchart.png)

Sabayon = Bloated Gentoo :(

Hm that is really too bad. Gentoo boots are infamously as fast as lightning.

TheeMahn2003
September 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Before Tweaking (http://ubuntusoftware.info/Howto_tweak_ubuntu_ultimate.html) and after. Have had it down to 17 secs and lost my net ;) Another tweak not on that page yet, I would like to mention, great for those with dual core cpus. Open a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/init.d/rc

Go down until you see:

CONCURRENCY=none

and change it to:

CONCURRENCY=shell

save and exit. Enjoy ;)

Edit: Last shot best I could do, and still keep the net & gnome ;) 15 secs. pretty crazy, I have usplash disabled so all i see is text fly by on bootup, but it is lightning quick. Very low system resource usage as well.

mostwanted
September 4th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Tag for later...

aninaiian
September 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Here's mine...

Oh, X.org, Compiz-fusion, and Xfce take around another 15 secs to load (10 if I'm really lucky).

Though, I think that's okay considering it's a laptop with a 1.5 GHz Celeron M (earlier Dothan, 400 MHz fsb) and a 4200 rpm hard drive.

JBAlaska
September 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Ok here's mine, I also run xorg and compiz fusion. I wasn't to happy with my original 0:44 sec @ 27MB/s on my stock install of feisty, so I got rid of a few services and enabled writeback and prelinked (I know you dont have to prelink on feisty, but I'm a idiot lol), I think prelinking added some time but writeback pushed my disk throughput up.
Now I'm at 0:46 sec @ 29MB/s. Prolly I'll un-prelink and try again..

acowboydave
September 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM
here is mine

RageOfOrder
September 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hm that is really too bad. Gentoo boots are infamously as fast as lightning.

Oh yes. And my original Gentoo install was definately lightening quick.

Thing is... I don't have time to maintain a full Gentoo install while I'm in school. So I went with Sabayon. It gives me Gentoo with a regular binary update release schedule. So in 6 months I can update in a couple hours instead of a couple days and without worry of breaking ****.

On the downside... my kernel is bloated as hell. I have support for things my comp doesn't even have: Bluetooth... a battery monitor... touchpad drivers... It's a ******* desktop... I don't have those things. Also about 5 million useless apps. Maybe I'll rice out my slackware laptop sometime.

markp1989
September 7th, 2007, 01:48 AM
here is my bootchart, anyone know how i can speed up my boot?

can someone please delete this post i forgot to upload my image

markp1989
September 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
here is mt boot chart, any one know how i can speed up my boot time?

system spec
intel celeron D 3.2ghz
2gb ram
nvidia geforce 6200 256mb
80gb sata

reacocard
September 7th, 2007, 02:45 AM
here is mt boot chart, any one know how i can speed up my boot time?

system spec
intel celeron D 3.2ghz
2gb ram
80gb sata

40s is already pretty good, but if you really want more speed you can try k.mandla's guide: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/04/22/howto-set-up-feisty-for-speed/

foxy123
September 7th, 2007, 09:38 PM
40s is already pretty good, but if you really want more speed you can try k.mandla's guide: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/04/22/howto-set-up-feisty-for-speed/

The guide helped me to knock down 2 sec from my boot time. Now it is 35 sec vs. 37 sec. I wonder if this is minimum I can get.

markp1989
September 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
here is my chart, i managed to save a few seconds by installing the kernel from gusty

40s is already pretty good, but if you really want more speed you can try k.mandla's guide: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/04...sty-for-speed/
thanks for the link , im just about to have a look at it

i wonder what the lowest possible boot time is, anyone have any knowledge they can share?

reacocard
September 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM
i wonder what the lowest possible boot time is, anyone have any knowledge they can share?

quite low, but it'd be a minimal text-only system. I have yet to see anything under 20s for booting into a full X environment.

markp1989
September 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
quite low, but it'd be a minimal text-only system. I have yet to see anything under 20s for booting into a full X environment.

ok, cool, how do i go about getting my boot to be around 20-25 sec? so far i got to about 30

reacocard
September 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM
ok, cool, how do i go about getting my boot to be around 20-25 sec? so far i got to about 30

follow that guide I posted a few back, in particular,

- autologin
- start X automatically
- start from a minimal install
- remove useless init scripts
- shut down unwanted services
- set concurrency to shell
- readahead
- reprofile your boot (do this last!)

I'm currently working on tweaking a minimal gutsy install myself, I'll post the results once I'm done.

markp1989
September 8th, 2007, 11:44 PM
follow that guide I posted a few back, in particular,

- autologin
- start X automatically
- start from a minimal install
- readahead
- reprofile your boot (do this last!)

I'm currently working on tweaking a minimal gutsy install myself, I'll post the results once I'm done.

ok hope you get the results you want, im just about to do this on my laptop, with fiesty nt gusty , il post the results from the boot chart on here when its all done

markp1989
September 9th, 2007, 03:09 AM
ok hope you get the results you want, im just about to do this on my laptop, with fiesty nt gusty , il post the results from the boot chart on here when its all done

i managed to get it down to 28 seconds:D , there is prob a way to cut a second or 2 off, but im tired, its 3:10 AM here lol ,

does any one know were i can shave a few seconds?

TheeMahn2003
September 10th, 2007, 03:51 PM

See my shots above yes it is into gnome in 15 secs. Still have internet however every service unnecessary including logging daemons have been stripped.

markp1989
September 11th, 2007, 01:19 AM
See my shots above yes it is into gnome in 15 secs. Still have internet however every service unnecessary including logging daemons have been stripped.

15seconds!! thats excellent well done:D

reacocard
September 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM

very nice!

for some reason bootchart isn't working nicely on this machine, it goes on for 4-5 minutes even though it's at the desktop (with compiz) in 35-40 seconds (starts X at only 20!). ah well, time to go trim my initscripts. :D

nowshining
September 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM
for the 404 error there is such a thing as the wayback machine - the internet archives - archive.org for a shortcut web.archive.org/web/

however just checked it's not in there..

aktiwers
September 11th, 2007, 01:31 AM
brb

Spr0k3t
September 11th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I thought I'd post my laptop with gutsy. Only one optimization done.

Linuturk
September 11th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Before Tweaking (http://ubuntusoftware.info/Howto_tweak_ubuntu_ultimate.html) and after. Have had it down to 17 secs and lost my net ;) Another tweak not on that page yet, I would like to mention, great for those with dual core cpus. Open a terminal:

sudo nano /etc/init.d/rc

Go down until you see:

CONCURRENCY=none

and change it to:

CONCURRENCY=shell

save and exit. Enjoy ;)

Edit: Last shot best I could do, and still keep the net & gnome ;) 15 secs. pretty crazy, I have usplash disabled so all i see is text fly by on bootup, but it is lightning quick. Very low system resource usage as well.

Thank you for this. I've attached my before and after using your fix.

BLTicklemonster
September 11th, 2007, 03:25 AM

lmao got you beat!

lisati
September 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Probably could do with some tweaking and optimizing, but I don't mind....it sometimes still amazes me what can be done, even though I've been using computers in one form or another for nearly 30 years!

BLTicklemonster
September 11th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Aha, I used this:

http://ubuntusoftware.info/Howto_tweak_ubuntu_ultimate.html

and got the same boot time.

Huh.

So I edited /etc/fstab to remove the fsck stuff (changed the last number on each line to zero, all except for my / drive, which I made a one)
Be squeemish if you don't know what I mean. Ask questions galore before you edit fstab.

Now I'm screaming(ish)

markp1989
September 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Here is the boot chart for my laptop running xubuntu 7.04. 24 sec is not bad, compared to the 40sec before i optimized the boot time.

does any one know of any ways i can speed this up a tad more, because i have to turn this laptop off when not in use, so boot time is important

EDIT: My boot time has gone up by over 10 seconds, just by installing the new kernel, and reprofiling boot hasnt done anything :S

TheeMahn2003
September 13th, 2007, 04:12 AM
15seconds!! thats excellent well done:D

Thanks, I however no longer have that luxury running 1.5, here for the people; god I hated to lose that as much as I install was enjoying it, I suppose a small price to pay in the big picture. I highly doubt I will ever see that again, I even messed with kintd a huge no-no for the common user, I not only striped services I completely remove them from the O/S, once again a big no-no, I have no printer cupsys hplip history. I have told you how that somewhat happened take the time and learn, I just don't want every user doing the same w/o knowing the consequences of such action.

Once again thanks

TheeMahn2003
September 13th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Thank you for the Kudos, far from my fix, I do however have it on my site as a "bonus" tweak, I did not write it, I just learn and present the info to my end users. None the less thanks. An to be 100% honest I will not present what it was to get me down to 15 secs boot time and with good reason, I will not put users in harms way.

TheeMahn2003
September 13th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Aha, I used this:

http://ubuntusoftware.info/Howto_tweak_ubuntu_ultimate.html

and got the same boot time.

Huh.

So I edited /etc/fstab to remove the fsck stuff (changed the last number on each line to zero, all except for my / drive, which I made a one)
Be squeemish if you don't know what I mean. Ask questions galore before you edit fstab.

Now I'm screaming(ish)

First of all you run Gusty (my website explains it was explicitly written with UUE in mind but does cater to those that run feisty Not Gusty), from edgy to feisty many changes have occurred in just booting some I have placed here for others to learn from & perhaps help them. Probably burns me up to no end, You have no clue how many times I have been asked to make a Gusty Version of UUE, I build off "stability" as far as a distro not beta or alpha, personally I have never ran Gusty -- I have a user base to think of and no slouch (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3355692&postcount=996). I know they are on top of things, but do not think my userbase should suffer just because they introduce the next great thing, I will not get into details as far as changes I have seen.

TheeMahn2003
September 13th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Probably could do with some tweaking and optimizing, but I don't mind....it sometimes still amazes me what can be done, even though I've been using computers in one form or another for nearly 30 years!

If you are willing to try I will help you, first thing I see from the screenshot is the aspi in your kernel. Are you running this on your laptop? I have been building computers close to the 30 years. Wrote my first program when 11. Probably better then 20, I am not that old ;) But this is a fact, "I have built 100's if not thousands of computers", and have probably over my lifetime "written 100's of programs, and have given them away free, I have only in my lifetime charged for 1 program". I feel I have to come back to explain reason I charged was it was written specific for him he had no problem with it. ;)

runemaste644
September 15th, 2007, 07:03 PM
My fastest boot since i installed the bootchart package was 0:58. Or does it only keep max 10 bootcharts?

blockcipher
September 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Here is mine. I have a DELL 700m.

hard_i
September 20th, 2007, 06:09 PM

felin
September 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
No idea what it all means, or whether it is good or bad time, but here it is!

Onyros
September 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
No idea what it all means, or whether it is good or bad time, but here it is!Have you re-profiled your boot, yet? Edit your boot line in Grub next time you start it up, to include "profile" at the end. That boot will take longer than normal, but the next one (don't include "profile" from then on) will shave a few seconds off your boot time.

I'm writing this because it's strange that my Thinkpad X31(Pentium M 705 - 1.4GHz, 1MB L2 cache) beats your (far superior) system by two seconds: mine boots in 29 seconds. BTW, I'm getting this result on a 4200 rpm 2.5" HDD, which is quite the feat for this lil' machine.

energiya
September 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I managed to get to 15 seconds, but can't find the bootchart (I took this from my forum post). Preaty nice for my specs (back then I had 128 MB RAM)
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7061/bootchartf4jb7.th.png (http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bootchartf4jb7.png)

st33med
September 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM
EDIT: My boot time has gone up by overr 10 seconds, just by installing the new kernel, and reprofiling boot hasnt done anything :S

Have you disabled readahead? If you have profiled your boot, that makes the profile moot.

BLTicklemonster
September 21st, 2007, 05:04 AM
Okay, how do I delete them, the folder is not in my realm of permissions. Is it safe to chown var/log/~ to delete them?

reacocard
September 21st, 2007, 05:08 AM
Okay, how do I delete them, the folder is not in my realm of permissions. Is it safe to chown var/log/~ to delete them?

just do

sudo rm /var/log/bootchart/*

BLTicklemonster
September 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM
Thank you!

Scruffynerf
September 23rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Here's mine, Feisty running on the specs in my sig.

Sub 30 seconds (About 27?), and I'm pretty happy.

Running Gnome

Concurrency to shell, boot profiled, and followed a lot of the suggestions from TheeMan's Ubuntu Ultimate website, Here (http://ubuntusoftware.info/Howto_tweak_ubuntu_ultimate.html)

Cheers

markp1989
September 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Have you disabled readahead? If you have profiled your boot, that makes the profile moot.

how would i check if read ahead has ben disabled?

Scruffynerf
September 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
how would i check if read ahead has ben disabled?

Check your boot chart - if read-ahead had been disabled, then it shouldn't appear in the bootchart.

AbredPeytr
September 23rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Ok. Here's mine. Is this like modern art, or what? :-)

ahaslam
September 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Fast enough?

stevebakerj
September 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Here my testing setup

regomodo
September 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
i wonder if anyone elses is as slow as mine. 74 seconds!! Damn fsck

regomodo
September 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Fast enough?

how did you get bootchart to work in Arch. I can't find the bootchart folder

[edit] nevermind. figured it out and it looks horrendous. load-modules.sh everywhere. 87seconds

markp1989
September 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Here is my current boot chart for the laptop mentioned in my sig ;23sec is not bad, any one know where i can shave a few seconds off?

markp1989
September 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Check your boot chart - if read-ahead had been disabled, then it shouldn't appear in the bootchart.

yes it was disabled, i set it on again and it works fine thankyou

StreetSmart
September 24th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Heres mine, kinda slow for my lenovo R60. How can I make this process faster?

ahaslam
September 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Is that a laptop using wireless?
It looks as though it's waiting for a network response.

Scruffynerf
September 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Multiple occurrences of avahi-deamon?

What happens if you disable the service/session? I've not noticed a problem, but then my rig is a wired desktop.

markp1989
September 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
i got my desktop down to 22 seconds

all i did was
- readahead
- Reduce_tty_count
- reprofile your boot

kqueenc
September 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM
You guys have awesome computers.
It takes mine almost 40 seconds.

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM
You guys have awesome computers.
It takes mine almost 40 seconds.
Heh, Mine's not the best either...

TheeMahn2003
October 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks, I have added a few other tweaks to that page, I will not add anything that will bork your system, but please pay attention to the comments. Building a Gusty Ultimate will test that page against Gusty as well ;)

Thanks again,

TheeMahn2003
October 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Here's mine, Feisty running on the specs in my sig.

Sub 30 seconds (About 27?), and I'm pretty happy.

Running Gnome

Concurrency to shell, boot profiled, and followed a lot of the suggestions from TheeMan's Ubuntu Ultimate website, Here (http://ubuntusoftware.info/Howto_tweak_ubuntu_ultimate.html)

Cheers

Thanks, that is fast for the chip you have, do you have sata? The #1 thing slowing your boot is NTFS, I assume you dual boot, you could remove it from start up, and if you need to access that partition you could use your NTFS Configuration tool, probably would shave 3 secs off your boot time. but if you use that drive / partition all the time I would leave it be.

Thanks again for the kudos.

xat_
October 5th, 2007, 01:10 AM
http://xat.uguu.us/feisty-20071001-2.png

Loading 9 partitions; 6 ntfs, 1 ext3, 1 swap, 1 smbfs.

foxy123
October 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I have upgraded to Gutsy and my boot-up time jumped from 37-40 sec up to 56-60 sec.

markp1989
October 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
gusty boots so fast, here is mine with no boot optimization done, i wonder what boot optimizations will be discovered for gusty, and if they will be effective

25 sec in to gnome

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Here's mine with a powerful boot optimization, no GUI ;)

Paul820
October 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Heres mine with no boot optimisation and GUI. Running gutsy now so i thought i would post again.

Paul820
October 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Ok, so it never appeared :lolflag: Here it is, i don't think i press upload.

bobbocanfly
October 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
My new gutsy bootchart. My fesity ones were utterly shocking, about 55s to 1minute 20s on a bad day. Disabed GDM on startup ,also a couple of other stuff that i will never need, like bluetooth and wireless.

odnalro
October 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
22 seconds without optimization

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Here's a history of mine:

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Here's a history of mine:...and two more:

Frak
October 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM
...and two more:
We don't aperciates showoffs around these joints ;).

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
We don't aperciates showoffs around these joints ;).I honestly don't even know if my figures are good or bad?...comparatively speaking.

Frak
October 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM
I honestly don't even know if my figures are good or bad?...comparatively speaking.
Your speeds are faster than mine while yours has a GUI and mine boots to a very minimal installation ;)

RAV TUX
October 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM
Your speeds are faster than mine while yours has a GUI and mine boots to a very minimal installation ;)Cool, Thanks for letting me know my $3000 purchase 2 years ago from Dell wasn't a complete waste. ;)

Frak
October 21st, 2007, 11:22 PM
Cool, Thanks for letting me know my $3000 purchase 2 years ago from Dell wasn't a complete waste. ;)
:lolflag:

stalker145
October 22nd, 2007, 02:21 AM
I think I'm going to cry... I went from about 40 seconds in Feisty to this ](*,)

I ask the pros: what the heck did I do wrong? This is a standard install with a few added programs and no system "tweaks" of any sort.

Thanks.

RAV TUX
October 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
I think I'm going to cry... I went from about 40 seconds in Feisty to this ](*,)

I ask the pros: what the heck did I do wrong? This is a standard install with a few added programs and no system "tweaks" of any sort.

Thanks.Wow!...that is bad.

reacocard
October 22nd, 2007, 02:39 AM

Thanks.

That's really odd, looks like usplash is using all your cpu. Try this: when you start up, press ESC to get the grub menu, then press 'e' to edit, move down to the kernel line, press 'e' again to edit it, and remove the word 'splash' from that line. Press enter, then 'b' to boot. If that gives you a better time, just remove the splash option from defoptions in your menu.lst to keep the change permanently.

Scruffynerf
October 22nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
That's really odd, looks like usplash is using all your cpu. Try this: when you start up, press ESC to get the grub menu, then press 'e' to edit, move down to the kernel line, press 'e' again to edit it, and remove the word 'splash' from that line. Press enter, then 'b' to boot. If that gives you a better time, just remove the splash option from defoptions in your menu.lst to keep the change permanently.

Alternatively, re-install usplash, or change what the splash image is.

I run a fairly custom rig off IDE drives, and I usually get around 27 seconds to GUI and all done. The only time i've seen a bootchart like that is when fsck decides it's time to do over one of the drives every nth boot.

puccaso
October 22nd, 2007, 03:26 AM
Everybody, attach your boot charts!

how on earth do u get a 20second boot time? what is that about..

check this

rand0m
October 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
20 seconds on a new optimized Kubuntu 7.10 install. Besides booting faster than Feisty (gnome, xfce, or kde), it's noticeably snappier, smoother, and doesn't run like KDE ontop of a gnome distro. Only downside is I can't break 20 sec without sacraficing services I need to use :grin:

steveneddy
October 22nd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Ok!!

Rhubarb
October 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
:D wow, gutsy is fast on my PC here.
No optimisations, 17sec boot time including entering my user name and password on gdm srceen.

reacocard
October 22nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
now down to 23 seconds on my two-year-old laptop with optimizations, not bad at all.

takes longer to log in than to boot :mrgreen:

Scruffynerf
October 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
Feisty, heavily customised install: 27 seconds.

andrewabc
October 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Here is my bootchart on new gusty with a couple installed programs.
22 seconds.

What is all the k stuff at bottom of bootchart?
I installed amarok the other day, does that mean it has to load lots of kde stuff when booting? I use regular gnome ubuntu. If using amarok means loading a bunch of kde stuff, any recommendations on a good gnome player? (link?).

I notice in running processes there are 5 different kdeinit programs running.

See anything that is slowing it down lots?

stalker145
October 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM

I'll definitely try that when I get home to my computer. Thank you for the advice.

Funny thing is that I have yet to see a Gutsy splash. The screen goes black through the whole boot process until GDM.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Scruffynerf
October 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
22 seconds.

I installed amarok the other day, does that mean it has to load lots of kde stuff when booting? I use regular gnome ubuntu. If using amarok means loading a bunch of kde stuff, any recommendations on a good gnome player? (link?).

Yes, if you use amorak, then there's a bunch of KDE stuff needed to make it work.

An alternative in the repo's that people seem to like is Exaile

andrewabc
October 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Yes, if you use amorak, then there's a bunch of KDE stuff needed to make it work.

An alternative in the repo's that people seem to like is Exaile

Thanks. I noticed a thread about it and the screenshots look nice. Will try. wow only 500kb download as well.

stalker145
October 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
That's really odd, looks like usplash is using all your cpu. Try this: when you start up, press ESC to get the grub menu, then press 'e' to edit, move down to the kernel line, press 'e' again to edit it, and remove the word 'splash' from that line. Press enter, then 'b' to boot. If that gives you a better time, just remove the splash option from defoptions in your menu.lst to keep the change permanently.I'll definitely try that when I get home to my computer. Thank you for the advice.

Funny thing is that I have yet to see a Gutsy splash. The screen goes black through the whole boot process until GDM.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

WOOT!! IT WORKS!!

OK, i have to give you the rundown here. A summary of attached images.

#1 Yesterday, Me crying.

#2 YEEE HAW, it friggin' works :D

#3 CRAP!! I forgot to make the changes permanant.

#4 Made the changes permanant :)

#5 Profiled the boot... dropped another second... wheee ;)

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It helped tons.

P.S. Sorry for all the pics, I just wanted to illustrate the madness that is going from almost 3 minutes boot times down to 27 stinking seconds ;)

reacocard
October 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
22 seconds.

the k junk at the bottom is just kernel stuff, nothing to do there. The chart looks pretty dang good, you're one second faster than I am. :D You could try reprofiling your boot if you haven't already (and maybe moving the readahead to the background, it coincides with udev surprisingly well), but that's the only tweak likely to yield a perceivable difference on that hardware.

Scruffynerf
October 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
the k junk at the bottom is just kernel stuff, nothing to do there. The chart looks pretty dang good, you're one second faster than I am. :D You could try reprofiling your boot if you haven't already (and maybe moving the readahead to the background, it coincides with udev surprisingly well), but that's the only tweak likely to yield a perceivable difference on that hardware.

How do you move readahead to a background? I thought that it was by default ?:confused:

reacocard
October 23rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
How do you move readahead to a background? I thought that it was by default ?:confused:

no, by default readahead runs w/o anything else allowed to run at the same time because that is more efficient on many systems. However, I have found that on my system, moving it to the background actually increases performance. On my system, it sped up the boot by about 7 seconds. To do this tweak, open /etc/init.d/readahead and change this:

log_begin_msg "Reading files needed to boot..."
if /sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --quiet \
to this:

log_begin_msg "Reading files needed to boot..."
if /sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --background \
and then edit /etc/init.d/readahead-desktop so that this:

log_begin_msg "Reading files needed to boot (second stage)..."
if /sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --quiet \
becomes this:

log_begin_msg "Reading files needed to boot (second stage)..."
if /sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --background \
save the files and reboot. Note that I have not tried this on any systems except this one, so it may not actually improve the time. If it doesn't, just reverse the edits to go back to the old way.

Scruffynerf
October 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Many thanks reacocard - I'll have to try this out.

Scruffynerf
October 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Well, here it doesn't seem to have made a difference to the overall time - still 26/27 seconds, however the profile of the bootchart is quite different.

Fig 1 is running readahead normally, Fig 2 is readahead running as background. My hardware specs are in my sig.

reacocard
October 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Well, here it doesn't seem to have made a difference to the overall time - still 26/27 seconds, however the profile of the bootchart is quite different.

Fig 1 is running readahead normally, Fig 2 is readahead running as background. My hardware specs are in my sig.

Interesting, your readahead is set differently from mine. Mine runs before udev, so it can run in the idle time while udev waits on the hardware (this is where my speedup comes from), which on yours, it runs after udev, which negates the benefit. You can try to figure out how to move readahead before udev (it involves editing /etc/rcS.d, my readahead is S01, udev is S10), or just be happy with what you have and switch it back to foreground as that's better in your current setup.

Yes
October 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Meh, it seems a bit slow, but I suppose it's not bad.

Pixel
October 23rd, 2007, 11:46 PM
Nothing special :p

Scruffynerf
October 24th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Interesting, your readahead is set differently from mine. Mine runs before udev, so it can run in the idle time while udev waits on the hardware (this is where my speedup comes from), which on yours, it runs after udev, which negates the benefit. You can try to figure out how to move readahead before udev (it involves editing /etc/rcS.d, my readahead is S01, udev is S10), or just be happy with what you have and switch it back to foreground as that's better in your current setup.

Interesting... I just got thoroughly lost in my own filesystem.

Eventually found some files that look like it, under the directory you indicated.

There's a S01Readahead, a S10udev and a S39readaheat-desktop. All are links to scripts. Now, I'm not exactly confident about how all this works, so I might just leave well enough alone.

reacocard
October 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Interesting... I just got thoroughly lost in my own filesystem.

Eventually found some files that look like it, under the directory you indicated.

There's a S01Readahead, a S10udev and a S39readaheat-desktop. All are links to scripts. Now, I'm not exactly confident about how all this works, so I might just leave well enough alone.

Those sound right, so why is it doing them in a different order....? I don't know, probably best not to mess with it.

boast
October 28th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Here's mine on a 1.8ghz AXP.

It shows 32 secs, but it takes forever for my screen to load up to desktop :(

Habo
October 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Ok, and now.. the slowest one: :(

Something is gone wrong, but no solution atm.

reacocard
October 29th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Ok, and now.. the slowest one: :(

Something is gone wrong, but no solution atm.

ouch. It looks like there's an insane amount of CPU use going on, and only one processor is being used as well. You could try enabling concurrency (search the thread for tips, there are tons of them), as that would let both CPUs be used which could cut the time almost in half, but with that processor I really don't know why it's taking this long.

rand0m
October 30th, 2007, 06:35 AM
As far I as I know, the concurrency tweak doesn't work in Gutsy. Breaks a couple things for me.

Habo
November 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM
ouch. It looks like there's an insane amount of CPU use going on, and only one processor is being used as well. You could try enabling concurrency (search the thread for tips, there are tons of them), as that would let both CPUs be used which could cut the time almost in half, but with that processor I really don't know why it's taking this long.

I didn't have that problem about one week ago. My boot time was about 1,5 min. It comes suddenly, without any system or hardware changes.

Habo
November 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Because there was no solution vor my probelm I decide to reinstall Ubuntu and now:

:)

Habo

markp1989
November 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
here is mine

any one know what the IRQ-X... is at the bottom?

Rinzwind
November 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
0:27 seconds.

Dell Inspiron 9300 1.86Gz with Gutsy 7,10.

I still need to tweak it: I see cups among the bootscripts and have no printer. The boot is including start of mysql so I can't say I'm disappointed,

The only thing: gnome takes to long to boot. Can this program scan gnome for me too?

I am still new to this and also need to read the rest of this topic but if anyone sees anything weird I'd like to know ;)
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.dfa857f95b.png (http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?dfa857f95b.png)

Humph
November 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
First one is my desktop machine, as detailed in my sig. Second is my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro v3505 Laptop.

Edit: Forgot to say what a damn cool utility bootchart is! Never seen anything like it before.

Lostincyberspace
November 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
this is really neat I never realized how fast it was till now

klange
November 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I think I win for longest *regular* boot cycle.
Gutsy on my laptop. Dual 1.73ghz, 1gb of ram.
Total time: one minute, forty five seconds.

reacocard
November 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I think I win for longest *regular* boot cycle.
Gutsy on my laptop. Dual 1.73ghz, 1gb of ram.
Total time: one minute, forty five seconds.

not really, bootchart appears to not be stopping when it should, if you examine the chart closely, gdm/xorg starts up at about 30s, on par with many other people's untweaked results.

aaargh486
December 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Do I win? Do I get a prize now? :)

30 sec from BIOS to GRUB (that's gotta something wrong)
17 sec from GRUB to login
few seconds to login

ushills
December 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Any suggestions to improve this, specs for box 1 in sig.

bobbocanfly
December 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Quite proud of this one. Got it down from 20 to 18 by disabling the laptop stuff but dont want to take any more out as this is my desktop and i want all the GUI tricks i can get :D

nat6138
December 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Not too shabby considering the specs of my laptop aren't the greatest.

dimbulb1024
December 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm in at 22 seconds

neoraptor
December 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Here is mine :

How could I improve it? How could I tweak it? How could I disable some services (eg : I have no printer, so I would like to disable cups)

bobbocanfly
December 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Here is mine :

How could I improve it? How could I tweak it? How could I disable some services (eg : I have no printer, so I would like to disable cups)

Use BUM (Boot Up Manager) (sudo apt-get install bum) to remove services from startup. A lot of it is Laptop/Wireless stuff which obviously, if its a wired desktop, is totally useless.

neoraptor
December 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Thank you.
Is there no way to improve gnome startup speed?

markp1989
December 14th, 2007, 04:15 PM
boot up time is fast, i just wish i could speed up login time,

i tried this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565651 but didnt make much difference, does anyone know how i can speed up login time, i am currently using compiz fusion effects, and i have noticed every time i login the panels appear, then disappear, resulting in a login time of about 30seconds which is longer then my boot time

~LoKe
December 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I'd like to get 20 seconds or under. Is there anything on the list that I could afford to remove?

Lostincyberspace
December 17th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I'd like to get 20 seconds or under. Is there anything on the list that I could afford to remove?
I used this how to and I sped up about 10 seconds
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491

I don't know if that is of any help though? You don't have to many extra processes. The best thing you could probably do to speed up your time right now is upgrade your processor.

~LoKe
December 17th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I used this how to and I sped up about 10 seconds
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491

I don't know if that is of any help though? You don't have to many extra processes. The best thing you could probably do to speed up your time right now is upgrade your processor.

I used that guide, actually. Worked out pretty well. =]

As for upgrading the processor...well...I can't really afford much faster than my 3.6GHz Q6600. =p

reacocard
December 17th, 2007, 03:12 AM

you're already at 22s, it's difficult to improve on that. the part between 'S20exim4' and 'update-binfmts' might have a few things you could remove (privoxy seems to be taking a few seconds on its own), but everything else is pretty much needed. (except for sysklogd and klogd, but those are so tiny you won't get more than a fractional improvement)

For those looking to speed up their login time, not just boot time, take a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565651). It sped up my login time immensely.

new2*buntu
December 17th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Here is mine with Linux Mint XFCE 4.0 (I know it says Gutsy Gibbon). I have applied no tweaks and it was done with the laptop in my sig. I am satisfied with my 36 seconds, though.

Lostincyberspace
December 17th, 2007, 03:59 AM
My latest reboot configuration I have since removed a few more processes. Not to bad I hope to shave another second or two off.

coolbrook
December 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Without any optimization I get 0:29 on the first PC in my sig. I noticed my desktop wallpaper didn't load. I had to run a couple of terminal commands to start up my wireless. I'll have a look at what I can tweak. I don't wanna break anything.

fatality_uk
December 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Somethings gone wrong with mine? Duel boot error maybe?

coolbrook
December 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM
OK so I did some tweaking and it showed 0:30, now it's at 0:27, but now I'm getting a HAL failure error. When I try to reboot, I click on the green man and it takes about 15 seconds for the exit options to come up. I also noticed that I don't see my normal file system icon any more. Just 'dev'.

coolbrook
December 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM
OK so I did some tweaking and it showed 0:30, now it's at 0:27, but now I'm getting a HAL failure error. When I try to reboot, I click on the green man and it takes about 15 seconds for the exit options to come up. I also noticed that I don't see my normal file system icon any more. Just 'dev'.

I changed concurrency from shell back to none and that removed the error and that terrible (actually almost 30 second) lag after clicking the green man.

Dr Small
December 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM
My system finally rebooted, so here is my bootchart.

reacocard
December 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Somethings gone wrong with mine? Duel boot error maybe?

MS windows in 29 seconds on a PIII?

:lolflag:

-grubby
December 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I had not idea that my boot time was so low (36 secs) I thought it was higher

Lostincyberspace
December 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM
You might be including login time for your estimate.

popch
December 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Racing computer with 1GHz. Zero to 100 in 31 secs.

new2*buntu
December 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Here is mine (untweaked and on the system in my sig):

Adtk
December 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Anybody got any advice on why my load is quite so slow?

(Given that the machine is old, can it run any faster?)

Running Ubuntu 7.10
Pentium4, 1.8 Ghz
2 GB RAM
Boots of an old (40 GB) IDE drive
also has a PCI SATA II card with 2 500 GB drives (Software RAID 1)

mellowd
December 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
20 seconds. untweaked. This is my server and doesn't load X of course.

reacocard
December 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Anybody got any advice on why my load is quite so slow?

(Given that the machine is old, can it run any faster?)

Running Ubuntu 7.10
Pentium4, 1.8 Ghz
2 GB RAM
Boots of an old (40 GB) IDE drive
also has a PCI SATA II card with 2 500 GB drives (Software RAID 1)

looks like you're having that odd usplash issue. next time you boot, try this: at grub (right before the pretty ubuntu progressbar starts up, but after the BIOS), press ESC to get the menu (if necessary), then press 'e' (for 'edit'), then use the arrow keys to select the 'kernel' line, press 'e' again, and use the arrow keys and backspace to remove the word 'splash' from this line. Press enter, and then press 'b' to boot with this modification. If you boot is much faster now, you can make this permanent by editing your /boot/grub/menu.lst file's defoptions line to also not have 'splash' in it, and then run 'sudo update-grub' in a terminal.

Adtk
December 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
reacocard, many thanks!

Will try that shortly. I don't actually get any progress bar ....

This is what I see:
Bios boot up
Raid card
Grub count down
then black

eventually kicks in to the desktop (I have auto login enabled)

I'll try your suggestion and let you know.
Many thanks for the suggestion!

Adtk
December 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
reacocard,

Wow, that seems to have halved my boot time!

And rather than a black screen for a minute I now at least have feedback.

Many thanks for the solution!

m0rphex
December 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Here is my Debian. It's minimalistic since this box is pretty old :D But how could I improve the disk throughput speed? Otherwise I'm pretty proud of the time :cool:

reacocard
December 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Here is my Debian. It's minimalistic since this box is pretty old :D But how could I improve the disk throughput speed? Otherwise I'm pretty proud of the time :cool:

do you have DMA enabled on the drive? (hdparm -i can tell you) If not, enabling that would probably give you a substantial speed increase.

m0rphex
December 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah I have it enabled :/

p_quarles
December 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
A few minor tweaks, and I'm sure I could get it loading up faster if I tried. Meh. I'm lazy.

mozillar
December 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Managed to get down to 22 seconds. If only I could reduce the 12 second time from power on to grub starting. Still, 34 seconds from pressing the power button to a usable desktop is plenty fast for me. :)

-grubby
January 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I just can't get it under 35 seconds!

Spanarn
January 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Is 23s ok for a lapptop?

Its an HP nx9420 and i have 2GB or RAM, and I changed the hard drive to a Seagate Momentus 7200.2 ST9200420ASG 16MB 200GB

hdparm with unmodified settings gives,
Timing cached reads: 1984 MB in 2.00 seconds = 992,30 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 174 MB in 3.02 seconds = 57.54 MB/sec

/Daniel

Waappu
January 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi

Here is mine

~LoKe
January 6th, 2008, 08:09 PM
16 seconds. Gotta try to hit 15!

revenant_org
January 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM
here is mine;

mcduck
January 7th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Here's one from my laptop with Core Duo 1,6GHz, 1GB of RAM and a horribly slow 5400rpm hard drive..

I haven't really bothered turning any services off, so I could probably easily cut some seconds off the time. But I think 29 seconds is quite OK anyway..

Waappu
January 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
16 seconds. Gotta try to hit 15!

HI

Did you get below 16 ?

Here is mine "normal" boot

You can see there is Oracle and ssh that slow things down =)

~LoKe
January 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
HI

Did you get below 16 ?

Here is mine "normal" boot

You can see there is Oracle and ssh that slow things down =)

Nope, 16 is still my lowest. Time for desperate measures!

iPower
January 8th, 2008, 12:13 AM
mine :)

AbredPeytr
January 14th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit (Ubuntu Studio)

HP Pavilion dv5053EA, ATI Radeo Xpress 200M
AMD Turion, 1GB RAM, 20 GB Linux/55 GB Windows

-grubby
January 14th, 2008, 02:13 AM
32 seconds! at least it's an improvement

kodak
January 14th, 2008, 03:07 AM
any good?

hhhhhx
January 14th, 2008, 03:26 AM
http://stashbox.org/71730/gutsy-20080113-1.png

rahul_bhise
January 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
hear is mine i have problems while booting up. like scrambled images, blank screen, crashing. though not every time

Waappu
January 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
hear is mine i have problems while booting up. like scrambled images, blank screen, crashing. though not every time

Hi

See if this helps
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy#Fix_Slow_boot.2Ffaulty_splash_screen

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
yay 24 seconds not to shabby for not doing any thing to it yet.

aaargh486
January 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I'm going to post a new one. I compiled about every driver I needed hardcoded in the kernel. Next time I booted:lolflag:

It looks like letting udev and readahead work at the same time could save a couple of seconds. I'll be back.

p_quarles
January 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm going to post a new one. I compiled about every driver I needed hardcoded in the kernel. Next time I booted:lolflag:

It looks like letting udev and readahead work at the same time could save a couple of seconds. I'll be back.
We have a winner. Good work. :)

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
11 seconds wow that is fast I wonder if it is possible to boot in 1 second.

reacocard
January 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
11 seconds wow that is fast I wonder if it is possible to boot in 1 second.

probably not, unless you stripped out almost everything and had a VERY fast disk to boot from. 11 seconds is quite impressive.

Lostincyberspace
January 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I was thinking maybe solid state hard drives and reconfigureing the kernel might even have to rewrite the kernel to run multiple things at a time on boot better.

andrewabc
January 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
25 seconds with a buggy Hardy.

gotthardt
January 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Here's mine:

~LoKe
January 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Now I have to beat 12 seconds? DAMN IT!

~LoKe
January 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
14seconds. Gonna recompile the kernel and hopefully get a few seconds.

markp1989
January 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM

thats excellent, would love it if i could boot that fast, well done!!

here is my chart, 19 seconds

~LoKe
January 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
13 seconds. I tried a few things, guess a re-compile is necessary.

markp1989
January 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
how did you people get your boot time down to about 11 seconds?

let me know your secret

~LoKe
January 25th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Do I win?

~LoKe
January 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Come on, someone beat me! I need motivation to cut it down even more.

markp1989
January 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Come on, someone beat me! I need motivation to cut it down even more.

tell me how you got it that low in the first place, and i mite be able to

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Do I win?
It is currently a tie 2 people have an 11 second boot time

~LoKe
January 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
It is currently a tie 2 people have an 11 second boot time

Who else has 11 seconds? People are saying 11 seconds for this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4186194#post4186194) guy, but his image clearly says 12.

Gigamo
January 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I had expected it to be faster. :(

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
@Loke:I was mistaken You are the current winner.

tuebinger
January 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Well, here's mine... I guess there's no competition from me.

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I just did mine without tweaking 25 seconds isn't to bad

markp1989
January 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
here is my current boot chart, does anyone know what i can cut out or change to make boot faster?

Kevbert
January 26th, 2008, 10:11 PM
My 64bit Ubuntu bootchart.

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 10:12 PM
recompile the kernel? I also have a few howtos I am going through right not to see how fast it can boot up. Once I am done I will post the linkss.

~LoKe
January 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I got 11 seconds with the unmodified 2.6.24 32bit kernel. So I didn't get the speed from there. On that topic: which modules in the kernel take up the most time, that are usually unnecessary?

markp1989
January 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
recompile the kernel? I also have a few howtos I am going through right not to see how fast it can boot up. Once I am done I will post the linkss.

never compiled a kernel before, so im kinda nervous doing it, but il give it a go

here is the spec of my machine what would i have to disable/enable to help boot time:
acer aspire sa85 f870
2gb ram
intel celeron D 352 3.2ghz
motherboard: ECS 661fx-m7 REV1.2a Details here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135171

Gigamo
January 26th, 2008, 10:48 PM
How would I go about recompiling my kernel to increase boottime? And how would it increase boottime? I'm kinda new to this. :D

I'm using a T7700 laptop CPU if that is any help, currently booting at 24 seconds. I have followed the guide to turn unnecessary services off.

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
You should also follow this guide
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=254263&highlight=boot
Before you recompile the kernel
I am right now working on getting initNG to work It inst loading my network card for some reason? or bootchart but that should be easy to fix.

Gigamo
January 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM
You should also follow this guide
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=254263&highlight=boot
Before you recompile the kernel
I am right now working on getting initNG to work It inst loading my network card for some reason? or bootchart but that should be easy to fix.

Hmm, that didn't really help. Instead, it gave me a 6second longer boot. :D

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 11:43 PM
did you remove profile after booting through once the profile one will be longer but you need to only boot and then reboot without for it to work right

Gigamo
January 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I just added the word profile to my boot line, it hung for a while on "preparing to profile boot sequence". then I logged in (no gdm) and sudo shutdown -r now. And that reboot was 6 secs longer than the one before profiling. :)

~LoKe
January 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I just added the word profile to my boot line, it hung for a while on "preparing to profile boot sequence". then I logged in (no gdm) and sudo shutdown -r now. And that reboot was 6 secs longer than the one before profiling. :)

Check for the cause in your bootchart. It shouldn't increase boot time.

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
You need to reboot before you log in for it to work right I believe.

Gigamo
January 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
You need to reboot before you log in for it to work right I believe.

Well, I cant reboot without logging in unless I press the reset button. I'm not using GDM so logging in doesnt start X or anything else, it just brings me to the CLI.

My bootchart shows like 15 seconds of readahead and nothing else. Maybe its a bootchart from the profiling boot? That would be weird since I only have one bootchart from those 2 reboots (1 normal and 1 profiled).

Lostincyberspace
January 27th, 2008, 12:16 AM
have you rebooted since? Because it is the time after that you get the benefits.

Gigamo
January 27th, 2008, 12:19 AM
have you rebooted since? Because it is the time after that you get the benefits.

Yes. I'll explain again.

I rebooted my pc, entered grub boot options, added profile, and did the profile boot. Then I rebooted again (with shutdown -r now from the fullscreen bash), and this boot was also longer than before the profiling. After that I didn't reboot yet, no.

However, I only have one bootchart from one of those two boots (don't know which one, they were both longer). The only thing I know is that the bootchart says 30 sec and before it was 24sec. :D

Gigamo
January 27th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I just rebooted again now, and now its 36 seconds. This is nice.

From 24 seconds to 36 seconds :D

phenest
January 27th, 2008, 12:53 AM
From 24 seconds to 18 seconds.

I do believe we need some ground rules if this is to be a competition. Some here are claiming fast times, but they are not booting to a graphical screen.

Can anyone suggest how to get my times down?

~LoKe
January 27th, 2008, 12:54 AM
From 24 seconds to 18 seconds.
Some here are claiming fast times, but they are not booting to a graphical screen.

So we should be required to use GDM to qualify? :confused:

I think the single requirement is that you must have a fully functional system after booting.

phenest
January 27th, 2008, 01:05 AM
So we should be required to use GDM to qualify? :confused:

I think the single requirement is that you must have a fully functional system after booting.

The reason I say this is because someone has claimed 12 seconds WITH xorg, and the 11 second was without.

Perhaps 2 groups: Those with xorg and those without.

Gigamo
January 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
So I guess I know whats causing my longer boot time now; its "readahead-list" taking up fifteen seconds, and nothing else happens while it does that. How do I disable this?

Lostincyberspace
January 27th, 2008, 11:23 PM
In this howto you can do it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491&highlight=boot

Gigamo
January 28th, 2008, 12:05 AM
In this howto you can do it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491&highlight=boot

Should have known to look there, I followed that guide earlier and enabled readahead :lolflag:

Thanks! Back at 25 sec now.

Lostincyberspace
January 28th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Your welcome I figured you just forgot to look there. You might try initNG to get down even faster.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=144831

Make sure you make a new section for it in grub or else it could be hard to trouble shoot.

markp1989
January 28th, 2008, 05:42 AM
im using initng, and it cut my boot time from 20 sec to about 13/12, but i dont know how to get bootchart to work with initng, any one has any ideas?

here is my default.runlevel config file:

daemon/acpid
daemon/dbus
daemon/syslogd
net/all
system
system/alsasound
system/alsasound/cards
system/alsasound/mixerstate
system/console-screen
daemon/hald
system/usb
system/swap
system/modules/depmod
daemon/gdm
daemon/NetworkManager

anything i can cut out or add to increase boot time?

Lostincyberspace
February 4th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Here is my latest 13 seconds not bad for no tweaks though.

gletob
February 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM
any tips on speeding up my boot time? I disabled the bluetooth stuff since I don't use bluetooth

Milos_SD
February 16th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Here is mine:

Intel Core2Duo E6550 2.33 Ghz
2x1GB dual channel 800Mhz
WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA2

Is this good for this system? I didn't used any optimizations. :)

k2t0f12d
February 16th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Here is mine:

Intel Core2Duo E6550 2.33 Ghz
2x1GB dual channel 800Mhz
WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA2

Is this good for this system? I didn't used any optimizations. :)

Not too shabby

EDIT: removed attachment, see the image in the next post provided through a third party host.

k2t0f12d
February 16th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Without nfs and samba daemons :D

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5931/bootchartqh2.th.png (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bootchartqh2.png)

tehquickness
February 16th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Dell Inspiron 9100
P4 3.2 Ghz
1Gb Ram
Linux Mint 4.0

What are the depmod and readahead-list processes doing?? Those seem to access the disk the most.

http://ryangathmann.com/gutsy-small.png (http://ryangathmann.com/gutsy-20080215-4.png)

k2t0f12d
February 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM
If Im not mistaken, depmod is loading kernel modlues that drive your devices.

Superkoop
February 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM
First one to the left is the chart before any optimizations. The second one is after I disabled some stuff, there may be some other things that I don't use, but under 30 seconds is plenty good enough for me. =)

markp1989
March 6th, 2008, 11:56 PM
i think i have my boot down to around 11 seconds, using icebuntu and initng, but i dont know how to use bootchart to time initng, any one know how i do this?

ElEdwards
March 8th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Here's mine. Is it good? :)

andrewabc
March 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Ubuntu hardy beta 1.
1.8ghz pentium4, 768 mb ram (just put another 256mb in yesterday).
Takes 48 seconds to start.

spupy
March 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Whoa, mine is so short (as in height). Something is fishy, it normally is ~5s shorter.