PDA

View Full Version : Linux Credit Card

euler_fan
August 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Linux Credit Card (http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/08/21/0320208.shtml)

It hit slashdot but I thought it deserved to get brought up here too.

This is actually a really cool idea. Most of us have cards and use them regularly. The fact that there is no cost to any of us is really cool too.

I would imagine if enough people got these cards they could expand the number of projects they support.

curuxz
August 21st, 2007, 08:39 PM
cool idea but if they support stuff like wikipedia I would never give money to it.

Don't get me wrong I use wikipedia a lot but it is a very corrupt project that has many failings and I dont see how it benefits the open source movement one bit. Even its software mediawiki is a pain in the *** because it does not use standard markup, wikimarkup is terrible!

euler_fan
August 21st, 2007, 10:34 PM
cool idea but if they support stuff like wikipedia I would never give money to it.

Don't get me wrong I use wikipedia a lot but it is a very corrupt project that has many failings and I dont see how it benefits the open source movement one bit. Even its software mediawiki is a pain in the *** because it does not use standard markup, wikimarkup is terrible!

I'm sure if the list of supported organizations expanded many of us would find at least one project we either didn't like or never use. I don't see myself ever using several of their supported projects.

I think though that even if they support a few we don't like the whole community would be better off because of how many people do like and use the projects they support.

I'd just like to see Ubuntu, Keypass, Truecrypt, and a few others on the list too :)

Footissimo
August 22nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
I may sign up if it comes to the UK...but, please, not Tux - there are plenty of decent FOSS logos around..just not Tux.

http://www.linuxfund.org/img/usbank-card.jpg

FuturePilot
August 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
What's wrong with Tux? I love Tux.

triptoe
September 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
It's pretty cool... It would be cooler if you could vote which charity specifically within linux it goes to though....