PDA

View Full Version : How can I convert someone to Ubuntu?

Majorix
August 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
I tried to convert my best friends using Windows to Ubuntu.

Let me give you some examples, starring 3 of my best friends, my girlfriend and my sister:

Friend #1. This guy's family wants him to study for his lessons at the university, so he is not allowed to play games etc. So I thought it could be easy to convert him. I offered him to come to his house myself, do everything myself, and install him a dual boot system with Ubuntu 7.04 and Windows Vista in case he can't live without it. He first said ok, but as the time came closer, he said "can we do it later please".

Friend #2. This guy mainly uses office tools and surfs the web on his comp. But he also plays C&C 3, PES6, and one other game I can't remember of. Since I wasn't sure if all games would work under Wine, I offered him a dual boot. He said no.

Friend #3. This one is a game-o-holic. Since I positively knew he wouldn't be happy with Ubuntu alone, I offered him a dual boot too. But he said no too.

My Girlfriend: She only uses internet, minimal office, watches movies and plays mp3's on her computer. I once told her that if she ever needed to format her pc, I could do it for her and install Ubuntu and teach her how to use it. Her comp got screwed up once, but I later learned that she brought it to comp shop and got it reformatted there. God I was so angry.

My sister: She just started playing around with comps a few months ago. Since she is not that much used to XP or other Windows products, I thought I could convert her. She knows almost nothing about computers. When she uses XP or Vista, she gets her computer filled with viruses spyware etc in a matter of 1 month and asks me to reformat it. I did it numerous times, and one time I asked her if she wanted to give Ubuntu a go. You know, I told her how it had no viruses, how it could do anything she wanted to (play mp3's, surf the web and play flash games) so she said ok. I installed Ubuntu on her comp. But in less than 1 week, she asked me to remove it. She said she didn't like it. I donno why.

I offered all of these people complete support from myself (I am quite knowledgeable about comps and Linux), told of the great people here and how they help people bla bla, told them how Ubuntu could handle everything they needed, didn't force them to use Ubuntu only (gave them their M$ ***** on dual boot), they are the closest people to me but I couldn't convert any of them.

What am I doing wrong? Do you have any ideas regarding these half-mindless(!) people?

Thanks for reading this long post.

rickyjones
August 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
What am I doing wrong? Do you have any ideas regarding these half-mindless(!) people?

Yes, I do have an idea. Don't call them half-mindless people. Just because someone is happy with their current setup does not mean they are mindless. Not everyone needs to convert to *nix. Show them the benefits by using your own computer.

No one likes to have things forced down their throats. The best idea I can give to you is to live by example. If *nix is superior then people will want to switch based on seeing others use of it. Show people how easy it is on YOUR computer.

That is the best advice that I can give to you. Operating system choice is just that... a choice. Let others choose for their own sake.

Thanks,

-Richard

csimons
August 21st, 2007, 07:55 PM
You may want to read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People", the de facto Bible of salesmanship. In a nutshell, you can't force your wants on others. Even if you tell them all about the open source movement, in the end, Windows might work fine for them, and they may not have any reason to move out of their comfort zone and change it.

In the end, they probably just don't care one way or another. It's like telling people how cruel fast food chains are to animals, or how corrupt politicians become for working with lobbyists for campaign cash. It may be true, but when it comes right down to it, people don't have the time and energy to care.

Carnegie would have you find a way to appeal to the beliefs and passions of the person, and show them how your solution is more consistent with the beliefs the person already has. This way, in their mind they would feel better by buying into your solution.

lepz
August 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
Friend #1 tell him this is a one off offer, later will cost him mucho wonga.

Friends #2&3 give up, unless kidnap and threats are an alternative? ;)

Empath
August 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Mine was much easier

For my bro: I showed him Beryl's cube and Pidgin and mentioned it will be faster plus more secure
For my bro's girlfriend: It was basically "install it because I'm not gonna keep dealing with your virii and spyware every month"
For my coworker: I showed them Beryl's cube and mentioned how he can do pretty much everything he can under windows but without having to worry about spyware and virii.
For another coworker: I mentioned it was free and will let her do all of her office work as well as the excellent support.

Basically know the people who you're recommend it to. Like why they use computers, things they find cool.. Stuff like that.

Lord Illidan
August 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't say anything unless they have a problem. Then I'll start the "conversion". I am not in favour of the word conversion, though. It is not a religion. Ubuntu is an alternative, a solution to a problem that Windows cannot solve.

That's the technique I used, and I have the whole family, dad, and sisters on Ubuntu. I also make it pretty easy for them - I do all the configuring stuff.

Otherwise, let people be. Forcing someone to use Ubuntu only leads to resentment.

LaRoza
August 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM
A similar question came up in the Cafe and I said:

"Shut mouth, give disk"

I stand by that.

Lord Illidan
August 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
A similar question came up in the Cafe and I said:

"Shut mouth, give disk"

I stand by that.

Nope. Shut mouth, give disk won't work on newbs. You have to help them most of the time.

LaRoza
August 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Nope. Shut mouth, give disk won't work on newbs. You have to help them most of the time.

I mean, let the disk do the talking.

It is too easy to preach, instead of giving technical support. So, let people try it, with minimal talking, and offer help, instead of trying to convince them their OS is no good.

Majorix
August 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yes, I do have an idea. Don't call them half-mindless people. Just because someone is happy with their current setup does not mean they are mindless. Not everyone needs to convert to *nix. Show them the benefits by using your own computer.

No one likes to have things forced down their throats. The best idea I can give to you is to live by example. If *nix is superior then people will want to switch based on seeing others use of it. Show people how easy it is on YOUR computer.

That is the best advice that I can give to you. Operating system choice is just that... a choice. Let others choose for their own sake.

Thanks,

-Richard

I didn't call them mindless, just half-mindless.. And there was a ! at the end of that word, meaning its not meant seriously. They are my closest people after all.

I would like to show them the things on my comp, but they don't even want to look :(

You may want to read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People", the de facto Bible of salesmanship. In a nutshell, you can't force your wants on others. Even if you tell them all about the open source movement, in the end, Windows might work fine for them, and they may not have any reason to move out of their comfort zone and change it.

In the end, they probably just don't care one way or another. It's like telling people how cruel fast food chains are to animals, or how corrupt politicians become for working with lobbyists for campaign cash. It may be true, but when it comes right down to it, people don't have the time and energy to care.

Carnegie would have you find a way to appeal to the beliefs and passions of the person, and show them how your solution is more consistent with the beliefs the person already has. This way, in their mind they would feel better by buying into your solution.

Wow philosophy lol... I suck at it :p

Friend #1 tell him this is a one off offer, later will cost him mucho wonga.

Friends #2&3 give up, unless kidnap and threats are an alternative? ;)

Haha your ideas are funny :)

Mine was much easier

For my bro: I showed him Beryl's cube and Pidgin and mentioned it will be faster plus more secure
For my bro's girlfriend: It was basically "install it because I'm not gonna keep dealing with your virii and spyware every month"
For my coworker: I showed them Beryl's cube and mentioned how he can do pretty much everything he can under windows but without having to worry about spyware and virii.
For another coworker: I mentioned it was free and will let her do all of her office work as well as the excellent support.

Basically know the people who you're recommend it to. Like why they use computers, things they find cool.. Stuff like that.

I know these people quite well, so thats not a matter. And wish I was as lucky as you.

Majorix
August 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM

It is too easy to preach, instead of giving technical support. So, let people try it, with minimal talking, and offer help, instead of trying to convince them their OS is no good.

Ok so you mean I have to show them my laptop or what?

Lord Illidan
August 21st, 2007, 08:23 PM

Ah, that's different. Yes, I agree there.

ddrichardson
August 21st, 2007, 08:27 PM
The best way to "convert" someone is to listen.

Listen to what they need and what they wish to avoid. For example someone who surfs the net only and is worried about viruses - show them how secure Ubuntu is and how it has familiar tools.

At the end of the day its about killer apps. The only one I've found do far is Amarok. Windows based music players are terrible. If you have a large collection of music and want a good program to playback you can't beat it (or Exaile for that matter).

I've converted a few because of Amarok.

Also as a final caveat - be careful who you put Ubuntu on for - unless you want to spend your entire life answering technical questions ;-)

samb0057
August 21st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Be patient and wait. Some day, one of them (or all of them) will call you and say "my computer is infested with spyware" or "I have a virus".

That's where Ubuntu comes in. The good thing about Ubuntu is that it's not the best because it has the best marketing and most persuasive advertising, but simply because it is better.

Don't force Ubuntu on anyone. The difference between Ubuntu and Windows is that Ubuntu can survive simply by being what it is, whereas Windows only survives because it is crammed down everyone's throats.

syssyphus
August 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
just give up... seriously....

windows / linux is like the matrix / real-world, you can't make people get out, they have to want to get out. if you try, you just make things worse.

let linux adoption grow organically, we are not in a race here.

Dragonbite
August 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
You don't.

Let them see how happy you are.
Let them see that your system never goes down.
Let them see you have software that does everything you want, and it's free.

Let them suffer with their virii and spyware.
Let them shell out money to get their PC fixed.
Let them shell out a small fortune for the latest version of software.

Offer them soda from the money you've saved from not having to spend those gawd-awful prices.

When they get fed up, and see you don't have that problem or pay out the nose, when they get a clu they'll ask.

Then you have them.

DjBones
August 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
i agree with syssyphus on this one,
open source is not in a rush to take the market by "convert or die" tactics haha
the people who are going to use linux will find it themselves. most people if they are not happy with windows/mac being closed source and drm ridden they'll look for an alternative.

i think it is a little hard to let the cd do the talking, because in my opinion -- aesthetically and functionality wise -- default ubuntu is a little clunky compared to vista/leopard.
((now before you tar and feather me lol.. in my opinion linux is waay better with a little work haha))

whats the big deal though?
its just an operating system.
they are gonna start thinking were like mac people ;]

wolfger
August 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Right. "Here. Put this in your CD drive and reboot your computer. I think you'll like it. Give me a call if you have any problems.":popcorn:

ddrichardson
August 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
Have you considered reverse psychology?

Walk about with an Ubuntu CD and every time someone comes near it hide it behind your back. Refuse to tell them what it is when they ask, at first. After some remonstration say its an Ubuntu CD but that its "not for them".

Make remarks about Windows being for everyone and Ubuntu for special people - then refuse to let them install it because, well they just aren't the right sort of person.

Also after you've caught them installing it laugh maniacally.

You may also want to consider some other things for your world domination plans - like killing your enemies imediately; not giving your armies helmets that cover their faces; keeping the source of your power in a locked security deposit box in a major bank.

perce
August 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
Let them see how happy you are.
Let them see that your system never goes down.
Let them see you have software that does everything you want, and it's free.

It won't work. Someone told me he's not using Linux because he has no time to waste. In the same time he was sinking in a dependency nightmare trying to upgrade LaTeX on Windows.

ssam
August 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
refuse to help with windows problems (easy for me as i know very little about windows admin).

refuse to install pirate software for people.

show them something that they can't do otherwise. thinks people might be impressed by:
* all in one instant messaging.
* amarok (not a fan myself but some people go mad for it)
* compiz
* blender/gimp/scribus (something where their choice is pirate photoshop or use the gimp (if they dont respect the photoshop licence would they respect the GPL?))

put some free software on their windows. once they are using this changing to linux will be trival. the opencd is a useful resouce (always carry one with you) http://www.theopencd.org/

em007a
August 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM

This is some of the best advice. A friend recently had a hard disk failure and no restore disk from HP. I told her about Ubuntu and that if she wanted Windows she would have to call HP and obtain a legit copy. She did. (I think they only charged her around $29 and it arrived the next day).

However, she also had me install Ubuntu (dual boot) and she hops back and forth. Her kids use the computer also so they have exposure to both environments. The seeds have been planted.

julian67
August 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
I tried to convert my best friends using Windows to Ubuntu.

....... 3 of my best friends, my girlfriend and my sister:

Beat the crap out of the biggest meanest one. Scream a lot and make sure to use very bad language until he/she agrees to do whatever you say. The other two will be easier, probably just a hard stare (train yourself to not blink) and a sudden movement will do the trick.

st33med
August 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM
Beat the crap out of the biggest meanest one. Scream a lot and make sure to use very bad language until he/she agrees to do whatever you say. The other two will be easier, probably just a hard stare (train yourself to not blink) and a sudden movement will do the trick.

This would work... until somebody sues for physical abuse/assault.

Majorix
August 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Have you considered reverse psychology?

Walk about with an Ubuntu CD and every time someone comes near it hide it behind your back. Refuse to tell them what it is when they ask, at first. After some remonstration say its an Ubuntu CD but that its "not for them".

Make remarks about Windows being for everyone and Ubuntu for special people - then refuse to let them install it because, well they just aren't the right sort of person.

Also after you've caught them installing it laugh maniacally.

You may also want to consider some other things for your world domination plans - like killing your enemies imediately; not giving your armies helmets that cover their faces; keeping the source of your power in a locked security deposit box in a major bank.

Hahaha this one is by far the funniest reply I have seen here. Thanks for making me laugh :lolflag:

refuse to help with windows problems (easy for me as i know very little about windows admin).

show them something that they can't do otherwise. thinks people might be impressed by:
* all in one instant messaging.
* amarok (not a fan myself but some people go mad for it)
* compiz
* blender/gimp/scribus (something where their choice is pirate photoshop or use the gimp (if they dont respect the photoshop licence would they respect the GPL?))

put some free software on their windows. once they are using this changing to linux will be trival. the opencd is a useful resouce (always carry one with you) http://www.theopencd.org/

From now on I won't give Windows support, thats a good idea. Also no pirated software. Thanks for the ideas.

DjBones
August 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
oh, i almost forgot!
i accumulate old computers ((belive i have seven at the moment lol)).. and for my friends who aren't really into computers but just want to instant message and myspace/facebook/flash-games they still work great haha.. its nice if they don't have a computer of their own and aren't supposed to mess with their family's.
i've been sticking to xubuntu and puppy depending on the quality of the computer. once they see the cool things that you need better hardware for, it gets them interested in computers and linux!

although im not sure if giving people computers will work out for everyone else haha

syssyphus
August 21st, 2007, 11:17 PM
I have pretty much given up on converting my family.... honestly it is a pain in the *** getting new laptop hardware that will work 100% with linux anyway, I would not wish that on them.

my mom called the other day and said she wants a new pc, i told her to get a mac.

yeah, i am jaded.

GFree678
August 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM
If you are a nefarious sort... deliberately infect their system with spyware/trojans/anything to slow down/muck up their machine. When they come begging to you for help, stand upright, shoulders firm, and say in a loud booming voice "I don't care, I don't have those problems, I USE LINUX!"

Then they'll be all like: "WOAH!!!", and start to cry... and then you can convert them. :)

EDIT: The above suggestion is not recommended for anyone.

ddrichardson
August 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM
If you are a nefarious sort... deliberately infect their system with spyware/trojans/anything to slow down/muck up their machine. When they come begging to you for help, stand upright, shoulders firm, and say in a loud booming voice "I don't care, I don't have those problems, I USE LINUX!"

Then they'll be all like: "WOAH!!!", and start to cry... and then you can convert them. :)

EDIT: The above is not recommended for anyone.

Illegal in the UK and highly irritating - as anyone who logged on to the network at Napier University in '94 to be greeted by the "**** ****** is a talentless wa***r" message being scrolled down the screen will tell you.

likemindead
August 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I have pretty much given up on converting my family.... honestly it is a pain in the *** getting new laptop hardware that will work 100% with linux anyway, I would not wish that on them.

my mom called the other day and said she wants a new pc, i told her to get a mac.

yeah, i am jaded.

I disagree. I'm 100% Ubuntu as of a month ago on both my HP desktop and my Acer laptop. The only trouble I had was with my laptop's wireless, but a quick search through the forums fixed that! This community makes Ubuntu what it is--a great endeavor pragmatically and philosophically. :)

Dragonbite
August 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
I like that... refuse to install pirated software.
That leaves most of the people I know with not much.

tszanon
August 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
"Converting" people is a no-no. It's more of a case where you don't give up, but you don't try either.
My sister bought a new computer. Since the pirated WinXP that came with it got infested, my brother told me to install Ubuntu there. I installed Edgy. Since it couldn't recognize her digital camera, in the end my brother installed another pirated WinXP there. :(

My father bought a new laptop. It came with a trial version of MS Office, which, after activation, informed me it would work until the end of July. I installed OpenOffice and I believe it's being used, since he hasn't bought Office yet (after all, I would be the one who would have to install it). And after seeing the "disastrous" experience my sister had, he says GNU/Linux doesn't work. :(

My brother himself, after seeing my computer (without Compiz/Beryl), told me he wanted it too. I gave him the cd, I even told him I could install it for him, but now, months later, he still uses WinXP. :(

My girlfriend is afraid of using Ubuntu, saying she doesn't know much about computers and would not know how to solve the problems that may rise. I don't understand her, since if any problems occur in Windows, she doesn't know how to fix them either. :)

That's my story. Don't "force" Ubuntu on them. Just do the marketing. When you face those situations where people complain that their computers are always infected, that they need a better Office suite, and so on, be friendly, but take the chance and say how better Ubuntu and FOSS are at dealing with such common problems.

hardyn
August 22nd, 2007, 06:41 PM
you can't

its like dealing with an alcoholic; you can only encourage them when they are ready to make a change.

UI-Freak
August 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Why should you? Religious people talk about conversion. It is just an OS with limited software support. Without a big advantage, like its free and they are poooor, then there is no big reason. Enjoy what you like, but don't preach too much.

satx
August 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
You could try an exorcism...

tszanon
August 23rd, 2007, 02:34 AM
You could try an exorcism...
Man, this made me :lolflag: