PDA

View Full Version : Development Laptop Choices

Den1aL
August 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hey all.

Not sure if its ok to post this topic here but I need to reach some avid SA ubuntu people. If not please move this elsewhere.

I need advice on a laptop purchase. The lappie will be used primarily for development purposes and the occasional game ( dota and openArena ) . I want it to be as future proof as possible considering my price range so 2 Gig's of RAM is what I'm looking at.

I don't have a display adapter preference but i want to run a dual boot Vista or XP with Ubuntu Feisty and i've heard ubuntu has a few problems with ATI based mobility cards here and there.

My budget is maxed at about R13000. Currently I have been looking at an Acer Travelmate 5624WSMi and was very impressed with the specs. See link below for full specs

http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=7763

I've also looked at HP and specifically the nx 9420.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thx

stefanor
August 22nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Currently, the best supported graphics is Intel. And it will probably stay that way, for a few years.

IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads are probably the best laptops for running Linux. They are *very* well supported. (The people working on laptop support on linux all have ThinkPads)

HP is quite popular in South Africa.

But basically, if you get something with an Intel chipset, things *should* work well. If you get something else, it should work, but maybe not perfectly.