PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu behind the times on USB installing

Stephed6124
August 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM
I've tried to several of the USB install posts, None of the worked for me. I have Ubuntu as dual boot on my laptop & desktop and love it. I would like to have it on USB for my work laptop.

The bottom line is Ubuntu USB installing options suck. Well, they are none exsistent.

I've tried both DSL, DSL-N and Puppy all these OS's install to USB devices without a hitch. You just hit"install to USB and it works".

I've been using Puppy from the work laptop, gave up on the USB Ubuntu install.

Why can't there be a USB drive installer for Ubuntu. Sometime like a LiveUSB installer is badly needed.

Is there any plans to make a USB installer?

Ed

FuturePilot
August 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
I've tried both DSL, DSL-N and Puppy all these OS's install to USB devices without a hitch. You just hit"install to USB and it works".

That's because those distros are designed to be installed on a USB drive. Ubuntu really isn't designed to do that.

Stephed6124
August 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the Info.

Is there any know future plans for an Ubuntu based USB OS or an Ubuntu Derivatives like DSL or Puppy????

ED

dwabra
August 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
I'd also be very interested to get a UBUNTU USB distro, and I'm not the only one :). I've tried and failed with UBUNTU as well, but would prefer the more fully feature UBUNTU over the smaller options if it was available in a reliable way.

What about UBUNTU makes it hard to run off of USB media instead of a hard drive? There's certainly enough space...

David

vexorian
August 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
the thing is that if you could install it on USB it would probably be too heavy, I think that even slax wich is meant to be portable gets amazingly slow boot time when installed to USB.

Tundro Walker
August 24th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Ah yes...but installing it to your iPod...now THAT's another story! :)

A guy did a blog about installing Ubuntu to a 15gb partition on his Creative Zen Vision:M, and I've been half-tempted to try it. My only problem is, I think IT at work disabled booting from USB on my computer (I didn't see the option selectable after scouring the BIOS setup).

See, you sneak a USB key into most jobs, the IT dept will be suspicious you're trying to install something. But, you sneak an iPod or other mp3 player in, and they'll just think your downloading mp3's (which most will turn a blind eye to, since they do it themselves). Little do they know you're actually using your mp3 player to boot your comp into Ubuntu.