PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in new Ubuntu!

Dark Star
August 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Hey all
Just post the things you want in Ubuntu .. Like I need that Ubuntu comes in KDe as well as gnome like in installation screen we are asked that we need to install KDE or Gnome .. Like open SUSE .. and 1 more thing Ubuntyu should provide better stickers :D :guitar:

Hope seeing this thread there are some changes in Ubuntu by Developers :D
What says keep the suggestion coming :D :guitar::guitar::guitar:

Regards

Ozor Mox
August 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Like I need that Ubuntu comes in KDe as well as gnome like in installation screen we are asked that we need to install KDE or Gnome

What's wrong with burning a CD of Ubuntu and Kubuntu? Or installing Ubuntu and then kubuntu-desktop?

Dark Star
August 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Dude wvery 1 did not get have high speed broad band though I am blessed by that but we should keep a lay man in mind ;) Even people do not have net facilities and some ISP did not support Linux :x

Ozor Mox
August 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
That's true, but surely they still need to download either Gnome or KDE somehow? How does openSUSE handle it that involves less downloading then just choosing either Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Edit: If ShipIt did Kubuntu CDs, than that would be cool! Though when they are posting me a CD for free I wouldn't want to ask for too much!

Swarms
August 21st, 2007, 03:09 PM
One of the core parts of Ubuntu is that it's easy to use, if you prompt a completely new user with this question during installation, it would harm that image.

It works just fine!

monsieurdozier
August 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Video Tutorial on first Setup/Installation, then a shortcut on the desktop.

This would make it worlds easier to get started for people like me who did not have a previous user standing over his shoulder.

igknighted
August 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM
One of the core parts of Ubuntu is that it's easy to use, if you prompt a completely new user with this question during installation, it would harm that image.

It works just fine!

Easy to use should NEVER trump functionality. This is the main reason why the Ubuntu installer has always bothered me. By trying to "gloss over" the bootloader install, they make it incredibly difficult to properly configure grub (the "advanced" tab? and even that gives nearly no options by most distro's standards...). I think a true "advanced install" tab to allow users who know what the options are to control the install the way they want (and no, the alternate install disk is not an option... I need to test it before I install and downloading 2 cds to get what I want when it could easily be included on the live CD is, well, crazy)

But about KDE/Gnome... that is on the DVD image, correct? If it is not then it should be. One thing I love about Fedora is the choice between the various LiveCDs and then also the full DVD with everything. Pardus also does this, and OpenSuse is going this way as well.

You cannot put Gnome and KDE on one liveCD and also include enough apps to fulfill Ubuntu's mission. And you can't bump it up to a DVD for the default, because many do not have DVD burners/drives. In short, an official install DVD with all desktops would be awesome. I have never seen one, but I have heard of some projects that offer it. If one was adopted (at least by the community, canonical need not be involved) as official and posted prominantly then the OP's request could be properly satisfied.