PDA

View Full Version : new planet

panickedthumb
July 30th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I haven't heard much about this, but on the radio (BBC World Service to be exact), which wasn't coming in well at the time, I heard that there's a 10th planet that has just been discovered and confirmed. EXCITING! They haven't named it yet. It's twice as far from the sun as Pluto, which would explain why it hadn't been noticed yet. When I was a kid, I was a total space geek, so this is exciting. Granted, by the time my space-geekiness wore off, I was still pre-teen so I never REALLY got into any hardcore space knowledge, I jsut thought it was cool as hell ;)

Spoofhound
July 30th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I haven't heard much about this, but on the radio (BBC World Service to be exact), which wasn't coming in well at the time, I heard that there's a 10th planet that has just been discovered and confirmed. EXCITING! They haven't named it yet. It's twice as far from the sun as Pluto, which would explain why it hadn't been noticed yet. When I was a kid, I was a total space geek, so this is exciting. Granted, by the time my space-geekiness wore off, I was still pre-teen so I never REALLY got into any hardcore space knowledge, I jsut thought it was cool as hell ;)

they're saying its actually bigger than pluto, and takes abour 595 years to orbit the sun. I used to have a big solar system chart on my bedroom wall as a kid. I think there was some relative scaling - to fit this new planet on the chart, I think my old bedroom would have to be rebuilt. It is really cool that we can still find new stuff like this - now we just need to wait for the loch ness monster and the yeti.

BWF89
July 30th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Well if it's bigger than Pluto, and scientists consiter Pluto to be a planet than they have to make it an official planet.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Bigger_than_Pluto%2C_possible_10th_planet_found

KrisDwyer
July 30th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Well if it's bigger than Pluto, and scientists consiter Pluto to be a planet than they have to make it an official planet.

Now what about those formulas we learnt in skool...
M VEM JASON P?

panickedthumb
July 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM
m vem jason p? I don't think that's right ;)

Kvark
July 30th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Scientists don't consider Pluto as living up to the requirements for being a planet. It was given the planet status before and it would cause confusion to take it back. So "If it's bigger then Pluto..." doesn't mean much. Some theories even predict that there is a whole swarm of objects, of which many are bigger then Pluto, orbiting around the outher realms of our solar system.

sonny
July 30th, 2005, 03:11 PM
It doesn't matter if it's bigger than pluto... it has to be colder, because it's farer to the sun than pluto... :?

KrisDwyer
July 30th, 2005, 03:21 PM
m vem jason p? I don't think that's right ;)
M - Mercury
V - Venus
E - Earth
M - Mars

J - Jupiter
S - Saturn
U - Uranus
N - Neptune
(Pronounced Jason, so ner :P)

P - Pluto

panickedthumb
July 30th, 2005, 03:34 PM
aaahhh. I always pronounced it mvemjsunp. kinda like "mmvemmjsunp" But I'm weird like that.

KrisDwyer
July 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM
aaahhh. I always pronounced it mvemjsunp. kinda like "mmvemmjsunp" But I'm weird like that.
s'all right... i live in australia, we had diff teaching regimes...

sonny
July 30th, 2005, 03:48 PM
s'all right... i live in australia, we had diff teaching regimes...
For a moment I thought, that's easy, teacher's in Mexico should use it, but then a realize, that we don't speak the same language... and the first part would be unpronouncable in spanish:
MVTM???? It's like MTV Music but spell backwards, anyway kids that age don't speak english (unless they're in a bilingual school), but they sure hasn't heard about MTV at that age, so perhaps teachers should teach the planets names wen kids are about 15 years :wink:

macgyver2
July 30th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Scientists don't consider Pluto as living up to the requirements for being a planet. It was given the planet status before and it would cause confusion to take it back.

Some do, some don't, actually. Personally, I don't and I don't like the "confusion" reasoning. There have been plenty of other reclassifications of objects, both in astronomy and in general...