PDA

View Full Version : Plone 3.0 Released !!!!

WinterWeaver
August 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Just a quick notice for all Plone fans.

Plone 3.0 has been released. Ubuntu peeps need to use the Unified Installer to install it.
http://plone.googlecode.com/files/Plone-3.0-UnifiedInstaller.tar.gz

I'm not installing on my machine yet though... I'll set up a seperate server to play with it first, as I have important projects on the Old Plone. ^_^

neway... Have fun!!

WW

Zdravko
August 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
What is Plone?

tehkain
August 21st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Love plone. I just wish it came with better themes. It has more then a truckload of capabilities, but for the non web designers out there it is only pretty to a point.

WinterWeaver
August 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM
What is Plone?

www.plone.org

Plone is a Open Source CMS based on Zope... one of the best CMS's out there. Generally you wont here much about it, cause the majority of the community plays with Joomla and Mambo and stuff like that.

Personally, I Love plone. So I'm very excited about this new release.

:guitar:

Zdravko
August 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Hmm, nice. I am building my website. I would like to have the ability to post messages and news there. Is Plone a good choice for this?

WinterWeaver
August 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Definitely ... but there are a couple of things you need to know.

Plone uses the Zope Database (no MySQL etc.), which isn't that well known. You will need a web host that has Plone and Zope capability (and some places may be more expensive).

Of course you can try to set all of that up by yourself if you have your own webserver ^_^

Also, you have to be a little bit patient learning how to customize the graphics etc. It can be quite ... interesting? ... at first, but once you know how to do it... you can make it look like whatever you like.

for more advanced stuff... it helps if you know Python etc.

So I'd say, you can give it a go and see if it works for you.

you can install plone from Synaptic. It's in the repos... or you can follow the link at the top of the thread for the latest version. (but make sure the webhost supports the latest version if you do)

once you installed it on your localhost, you can fool around and play with it :)

Good Luck ^_^

forrestcupp
August 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
www.plone.org

Plone is a Open Source CMS based on Zope... one of the best CMS's out there. Generally you wont here much about it, cause the majority of the community plays with Joomla and Mambo and stuff like that.

Personally, I Love plone. So I'm very excited about this new release.

:guitar:

Ok, so what's a CMS and what is Zope? What's Joomla and what's Mambo?

I know, I know. Google it.

Polygon
August 21st, 2007, 02:25 PM
content managment system, lets you do cool stuff with websites and stuff

and at least joomla is open source as well, competition is good :D

Dark Star
August 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info ;)

WinterWeaver
August 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM
but Zope and Plone is soooooo nice ^_^ ... especially with tools like ArchgenXML, and ArgoUML to help create products...

(also ... interesting bit of info: Launchpad is Built on Zope. Not sure if that goes for the forums also?)

Polygon
August 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
only real problem, which the OP stated, is that not many people have even heard of the zope database.... and if you look for hosting, you usually see databases like mySQL and other popular databases, so the only real problem with it so far is that its not popular enough...

and even if this forum does run on zope (im not sure it does...) i know for a fact that vbullitin can run on other databases as well...

drj826
August 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
I don't like the idea of using the Unified Installer for a production machine because it seems less maintainable than using Ubuntu packages.

Is anyone working on a packaged version of Plone 3.0? If so, when do you think it will be available?

mahalie
November 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM
I don't like the idea of using the Unified Installer for a production machine because it seems less maintainable than using Ubuntu packages.

I'm with you on that! Why can't I just apt-get? Oh well. I'm going to try it. I've researched CMS options ad nauseum, and Plone is used on some sides I really like and has LDAP compatibility, which I need for the intranet.

Speaking of that (haven't searched exhaustively yet) anyone ever set up a production Plone site using AD/LDAP for authentication? That's what I need to do. (On Ubuntu of course).