PDA

View Full Version : The underlying difference between CF and Beryl

FuturePilot
August 21st, 2007, 04:48 AM
Am I the only one noticing more CPU usage with Compiz Fusion? This is strange. It seems that CF handles everything differently than Beryl did. For example, if I were to move a window around the screen with Beryl, my CPU usage only increased 1-2%. Now with CF if I move a window around the screen, my CPU jumps up to 30%. What the heck? If I make it rain with Beryl, my CPU was only affected by 1-2%, but if I make it rain with CF my CPU jumps up to 50%.

Now I'm thinking that Beryl offloaded these things to the GPU while CF is giving it all to the CPU. So does anyone know if the underlying code has been changed to give everything to the CPU? What gives?

I like CF a lot better but simple things like moving a window seem to eat my processor now.:(

SunnyRabbiera
August 21st, 2007, 05:28 AM
to be fair its still developing, so I am not surprised

mrgnash
August 21st, 2007, 07:16 AM
I haven't experienced that problem. CF seems much faster to me overall than Beryl did.

eentonig
August 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM
for me CF works a lot faster as well. It might be that it uses more cpu, but I don't care for the moment

Gargamella
August 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM
My opinion is that it is better to try CF only when it will be a little more stable, otherwise crashes and problems will make you hate it

tehkain
August 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
Am I the only one noticing more CPU usage with Compiz Fusion? This is strange. It seems that CF handles everything differently than Beryl did. For example, if I were to move a window around the screen with Beryl, my CPU usage only increased 1-2%. Now with CF if I move a window around the screen, my CPU jumps up to 30%. What the heck? If I make it rain with Beryl, my CPU was only affected by 1-2%, but if I make it rain with CF my CPU jumps up to 50%.

Now I'm thinking that Beryl offloaded these things to the GPU while CF is giving it all to the CPU. So does anyone know if the underlying code has been changed to give everything to the CPU? What gives?

I like CF a lot better but simple things like moving a window seem to eat my processor now.:(

Direct rendering vs indirect rendering too

forrestcupp
August 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
to be fair its still developing, so I am not surprised

That's true, and I'm getting tired of all of these projects that never make it out of beta. First we had Compiz and Beryl, and everyone warned that they were beta. Then when Compiz was finally starting to get mature, and just almost out of the scary stage, they scrap it all and start back at the beginning with Compiz/Fusion. And now once again we have to hear everyone say that it's just in the beginning of development, it's beta, it will have problems and bugs.

I'm not bashing you, SunnyRabbiera. You didn't say anything wrong. I just wish these open source developers would come to the realization that it's ok for a project to make it out of beta and still go on.

FuturePilot
August 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM
I know CF is still Beta and all, but since it was a merger of Compiz and Beryl, what happened to the low CPU usage of Beryl? I also find CF a lot faster than Beryl but I'm just a little confused as to why it seems to be eating my CPU when I simply move a window around.:confused:

TheOtherLinuxFreak
August 21st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Maby CF uses the cpu more aggressively to speed it up. Mine doesn't do this though, weird.

FuturePilot
August 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
Are you using the Loose Binding setting? I tried it and it seems to have greatly reduced the CPU usage. Anyone know what that does exactly?
I also found this. Seems to confirm what I'm experiencing
http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?p=22132
Also here too
http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=2196

st33med
August 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
it's ok for a project to make it out of beta and still go on[/b].

I read on Wikipedia that some developers don't go beyond beta stage.

BDNiner
August 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Compiz Fusion runs great for me. It never crashes, I mean ever. I have had my computer running for about 43 days now without a reboot and still no crashes. I have found that if i come out of sleep mode and then immediately try and spin the cube, or drag a window with wobbling on then there is some slow down. Or if i have 6 or 7 programs open and close one of the larger programs then there will be some slow down with the flames, but not too much. I am afraid to update it, I updated compiz on wednesday and everything frooze for a second, you know when the screen goes dark. But i left it alone for about 1:30 minutes and it came back, i didn't have to reboot or anything.

reacocard
August 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
For me its the exact opposite. Beryl would cause my CPU to step up to 1700mhz (from 600mhz) and stay there with about 30-50% use, but with CF my CPU stays at 600mhz and under 20% use.

EDIT: however, CF seems to leak more memory than Beryl. Oh well, with 1gb I guess I have some to spare...