PDA

View Full Version : Why should I buy a new PC?

Neo40
August 20th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Hi,

I just like to know what do you think about my machine. Actually, it's a pretty old PC: 1.2 Ghz Athlon with 800 MB of RAM, 40GB HDD and a GeForce 4000 MX video card.
Well, I find my machine pretty fast and I'm not really a hardcore gamer. So, I'm thinking to buy a laptop (Dell, Inspiron 1420). But except it's a nice toy, do I'll see a big difference in applications I use? What are the advantages with the new machines on the markets versus my old one?

Thank you for your comments!

ps: sorry for my bad English

tdrusk
August 20th, 2007, 11:01 PM
You will notice a performance boost.

Make sure there is a thread for the wireless card you want to use.

Paul133
August 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM
800 MB of HD or 800 MB of RAM? If it's the former, how much RAM do you have? If it's the latter, how large is your HD?

K.Mandla
August 20th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Unless you're just itching for something new, I'd keep the old one. I've been using Linux on a 1Ghz machine with a decent graphics card for the past year, and I haven't run into anything yet that I wanted to do that required a new machine.

If it's just a graphics bump you want, try a different video card. I used to have one of those 4000s, and they're not bad, but there are lots of better ones available, and for cheap.

macogw
August 21st, 2007, 12:02 AM
That's not old.

izanbardprince
August 21st, 2007, 12:14 AM
Seriously, just go to Newegg and get some close out parts, you could probably get a system at least 4 times as fast without going over $200.

kuja
August 21st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Looks kind of old. I wouldn't have the patience to use it. Just being honest.

NilsE
August 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM
There are 3 reasons to buy a new system:

1) The old one just died and is not worth fixing

2) The old one won't do everything you need to do based on speed, graphics, or other capabilities.

3) Well, I really want a new one.

So, the choice is yours but there was also some other good advice about going to Newegg, PCRush, or one of many other places that have surplus parts and upgrade.

My problem is I am a number 3 kind of guy:lolflag:

abrianb
August 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM
It really depends on what apps you are running. I use a Pentium 3 powered IBM T-20 for open office and its fine. The processor is scalable from 550 to 700mhz. It runs mostly at 550. My home system is 1.4 mhz and I am thinking of upgrading to get better speed when photo editing. You could do a lot of web surfing at 1mhz.
Not alot of quick photo edits.

goumples
August 21st, 2007, 01:18 AM
I still have an old packard bell, 133mhz p1, 16 megs of ram, running windows 95 and i still use that thing.

BoyOfDestiny
August 21st, 2007, 01:39 AM
Hi,

I just like to know what do you think about my machine. Actually, it's a pretty old PC: 1.2 Ghz Athlon with 800 MB of RAM, 40GB HDD and a GeForce 4000 MX video card.
Well, I find my machine pretty fast and I'm not really a hardcore gamer. So, I'm thinking to buy a laptop (Dell, Inspiron 1420). But except it's a nice toy, do I'll see a big difference in applications I use? What are the advantages with the new machines on the markets versus my old one?

Thank you for your comments!

ps: sorry for my bad English

General speed boosts here and there.

If you do heavy duty multitasking, audio/video encoding/decoding, work with large images, like to compile things (oh how I can max out my laptop with make -j2 ;) ), or emulating a legacy system (that always has nice overhead) you should see much improvement.

If you use your box for surfing, writing email, etc (why would someone need even a GHz for that is beyond me...) your machine will likely last you 6-10 years if the hardware keeps on truckin'.

Up to you, you can always have 2 machines right? One is a "backup" ;)

Neo40
August 21st, 2007, 02:14 AM
Thank you for your all comments. I can't upgrade my machine because my motherboard can't support more than I have (CPU and video card).
So, I think I'm going to buy a new toy. :)