PDA

View Full Version : General Messenger question....

Akinraze
July 30th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Hi, I am tetering between Windows XP and multiple versions of Linux, trying my damndest to make the change over, but I have a question I would like answered that doesn't have a direct impact to Ubuntu only...

I have multiple family members who I remotely access via MSN Messenger & Windowx XP and wonder if, GAIN I think the prgrams name is, is compatible to get this done flawlessly?

Hope that all makes since, lol.... \\:D/

bored2k
July 30th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Hi, I am tetering between Windows XP and multiple versions of Linux, trying my damndest to make the change over, but I have a question I would like answered that doesn't have a direct impact to Ubuntu only...

I have multiple family members who I remotely access via MSN Messenger & Windowx XP and wonder if, GAIN I think the prgrams name is, is compatible to get this done flawlessly?

If I ask something stupid forgive me, it's pretty late. Remotely as in via Internet ? Sure .. MSN, AIM, Yahoo, Napster, IRC, and some others.

heimo
July 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I'm not fan of instant messaging, but yes - gaim is something you should check for this purpose (installed by default in Ubuntu). It's msn-compatible and as far as I know, does support some other IM too. Some time ago I used amsn, I liked it more than Gaim.

GAIM:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/net/gaim
"AIM, ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN, IRC, Jabber, Napster, Zephyr, and Gadu-Gadu"

amsn:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=amsn&searchon=names&subword=1&version=hoary&release=all

bored2k
July 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Here's a nice image showing the power of Gaim:
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/3232/rejoice1zy.th.jpg (http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rejoice1zy.jpg)

Kvark
July 30th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Gaim gets it done, but not flawlessly. It can chat with msn and other chat programs but it is different then msn so it does not have exactly the same functions as msn. So when the msn user in the other end of the line wants to play the msn games or use some other odd extra function then you can't play along.

bored2k
July 30th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Gaim gets it done, but not flawlessly. It can chat with msn and other chat programs but it is different then msn so it does not have exactly the same functions as msn. So when the msn user in the other end of the line wants to play the msn games or use some other odd extra function then you can't play along.
Agreed. MSN Messenger 7 are mostly not supported. Winks are not support. The incredibly annoying shakes aren't present. You get to actually save some bandwith by avoiding buddies that express everything in animated custom icons. You don't get to share backgrounds. A few would say you get webcam and microphone support, but it's best to just tell you to avoid them. If you want voice chat, get Skype for Linux.

TravisNewman
July 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Here's a nice image showing the power of Gaim:
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/3232/rejoice1zy.th.jpg (http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rejoice1zy.jpg)
GACK! My MSN name is in that screenshot. Now everyone will know my secret identity! Wait a minute... it's the same as my forum screenname as well. Not to mention it's public if you go to my profile. OK, so not "GACK!" at all.

;)

bored2k
July 30th, 2005, 05:02 PM
GACK! My MSN name is in that screenshot. Now everyone will know my secret identity! Wait a minute... it's the same as my forum screenname as well. Not to mention it's public if you go to my profile. OK, so not "GACK!" at all.

;)
It's not like its panickedthumb_at_hotmail.com, so you're half safe ;).

sapo
July 30th, 2005, 05:20 PM
It's not like its panickedthumb_at_hotmail.com, so you're half safe ;).

Man.. i dont remember how many people asked me why my messenger email isnt @hotmail.com.

A lot say that they just created a hotmail account to use the MSN... lol.. i had one messenger account @bol.com.br and my actual is @xgn.com.br that is my website :-P

But still people believe that you have to have a hotmail.com email to use MSN messenger ](*,)

bored2k
July 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Man.. i dont remember how many people asked me why my messenger email isnt @hotmail.com.

A lot say that they just created a hotmail account to use the MSN... lol.. i had one messenger account @bol.com.br and my actual is @xgn.com.br that is my website :-P

But still people believe that you have to have a hotmail.com email to use MSN messenger ](*,)
I guess they're just acting blind from passport.net :?

poofyhairguy
July 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Can it get it done? Yes if you just want to chat. Flawlessly? No.

Luggy
July 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM
GAIM may not be semless, but who cares when you can have 4096 bit encryption!
And I think i'm alot better off not having handwritten messages or any of that other crap. When I do use Windows I still use GAIM.

bored2k
July 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
And I think i'm alot better off not having handwritten messages or any of that other crap. When I do use Windows I still use GAIM.
I agree. All those stuff make some of my nerves pop out. I hate msn7's features, so _much.

benplaut
July 30th, 2005, 08:00 PM
i'd say the best client for windows is Trillian... i love that program \\:D/

maybe i can WINE it ;-)

bored2k
July 30th, 2005, 08:03 PM
i'd say the best client for windows is Trillian... i love that program \\:D/

maybe i can WINE it ;-)
Yes you can. In Crossover Office it's officially supported.

benplaut
July 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Yes you can. In Crossover Office it's officially supported.

MUHAHAHA/ oh, i mean... good :roll:

DJ_Max
July 31st, 2005, 02:12 AM
eh, Gaim works fine. Not like I spend all day IM'ing people, or wanna see them on their webcam and junk.

Akinraze
July 31st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Thanks for all the responces

What I meant in the original post was, with XP, you can remotely access another persons PC, take control, do what you need, log off, this is really the only feature I am interested in with Gaim, not the chat features, I will more than likely be on the phone with the person while doing what I need to do, so the chat means nothing at this point, as long as the rest works.

Connecting XP to a Windows 9x system is not as seamless as XP, so that I would probably rely on Windows for anyhoot, just cuz I am sure it will be easier with both systems being Windows.

Again, Thanks all!!

AgenT
July 31st, 2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the responces

What I meant in the original post was, with XP, you can remotely access another persons PC, take control, do what you need, log off, this is really the only feature I am interested in with Gaim, not the chat features, I will more than likely be on the phone with the person while doing what I need to do, so the chat means nothing at this point, as long as the rest works.

Connecting XP to a Windows 9x system is not as seamless as XP, so that I would probably rely on Windows for anyhoot, just cuz I am sure it will be easier with both systems being Windows.

Again, Thanks all!!

To take control of a remote desktop you do not use an IM client. You use a remote desktop client (makes sense, huh?). There is one installed by default with Ubuntu called "Terminal Server Client" which is able to connect to many different remote desktop servers. The default Windows XP remote desktop server too, but that is just an educated guess. You may want to have someone confirm this.

Cool Tip: to see if you can connect the a Windows XP PC that has your configuration, why not boot up the Ubuntu LiveCD and use the client to connect to the PC? It will be slow because it will be running from the LiveCD but you will know if you can do it. All this without installing anything on your computer!

NeoSNightmarE
July 31st, 2005, 10:03 PM

I know, people ask me for my MSN handle. And I tell them what it is. And since it has @aol.com at the end they say "the one with hotmail at the end" and I tell them to try it and then dumbness sets in.

RastaMahata
July 31st, 2005, 10:17 PM
I would say "Install a vnc server in the windows machine, as Ubuntu already has a vnc client by default".

google for VNC ;)

AgenT
July 31st, 2005, 10:57 PM
I would say "Install a vnc server in the windows machine, as Ubuntu already has a vnc client by default".

google for VNC ;)

And it also has the ability to connect to other servers, not just VNC. Doing a simple search, it looks like the client present in Ubuntu has the ability to connect to two types of RDP (regular and v5): one of those is used on XP (not sure which). This means that he can connect to his XP machine without installing VNC on the other persons computer. He could, and it may be worthwhile, but he does not have to.

Curtisc
December 5th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Handwritten messages is one of the things I miss the most about MSN... that and the "personal messages" or sub-names or whatever they are (in italics). I use MSN to talk to everyone in my classes, and when you're trying to describe a circuit or something the handwritten messages help a lot. And the sub-names, people tend to use them for announcements (i.e. Party my place Friday). Is there a client for linux that does these things? I don't care about the nudges and stuff... and I tried mercury and it was intolerably slow.