PDA

View Full Version : Salutations!

starlightit
August 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone!

Brand new to the forum, brand new to Linux. As a matter of fact I am installing Ubuntu 7.04 as we speak (83%). Will be the very first time I have so much as laid eyes on a Linux platform. Look forward to getting to know all of you and getting to know Linux!

xyz
August 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hey everyone!

Brand new to the forum, brand new to Linux. As a matter of fact I am installing Ubuntu 7.04 as we speak (83%). Will be the very first time I have so much as laid eyes on a Linux platform. Look forward to getting to know all of you and getting to know Linux!

Hi and Welcome! Glad to have you here. Let us know how it goes.

fyllekajan
August 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Hey!! It can be a bit tricky at first, but you'll get the hang of it. Nice to have you on board. Have fun! :popcorn:

southernman
August 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Hey everyone!

Congrats and Welcome!

As long as you understand that Ubuntu isn't a "replacement" for Windows, it IS merely an alternative... you'll be just fine! And... if you run into trouble just post your troubles into the appropriate support forum. A lot of helpful people stop in to help others.

bapoumba
August 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Bienvenue !
Welcome aboard starlightit.

LanDan
August 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
welcome to the other side!

leedsdevil
August 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Gratz on a new journey! i hope that you feel the same way everyone else feels about Ubuntu. i know that this community is very!! helpful. ok welcome and enjoy

original_jamingrit
August 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Welcome. Hope your experience goes well, be sure to stop by the forums if you need any help getting adjusted, whenever the manuals and docs aren't helping.

kellemes
Welcome!
Your world will never be the same again..:guitar::guitar:

GFree678
Greetings. You've got an avatar and sig already (with no extra posts) which is more than I can say for myself, so you'll fit right in. :)

starlightit
August 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Completely impressed already both with ubuntu and the forums. Very nice welcome guys, Thank you! As far as the AV and signature, i thought the Sith Lord Avatar was appropriate as apparently I have joined the dark side.

As far as first impressions with the OS, by habit initially went to install open office and it's already there! Evolution mail...piece of cake! flash Firefox plug in accessing network drives and printing, smooth as silk....I think i'm sold! This all in the first ten minutes.

kellemes
August 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Always expect trouble.. :popcorn:

GFree678
August 20th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Remember to active your copy within 30 days!

EDIT: The above is not to be taken seriously, just in case someone does. :)

starlightit
August 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah, does anyone have a Genuine advantage activation crack for 7.04?

kellemes
August 20th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Just recompile the kernel.. and you're done.

Arwen
August 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Welcome on board!I have ubuntu 7.04 for almost two months and I could say there's a solution to almost every problem so feel free to post questions,ubuntu community is big and someone can help you work it out.Have fun with your new OS :-)

DeadSuperHero
August 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Hey, welcome to the boards. Hope to see you around!

starlightit
August 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Well been an interesting first day with Linux, seems the biggest problem I've found is VERY slow browsing, and when pulling updates it kills my entire network, so have her unplugged for now til I sort out the slow browsing issue. Been through countless Firefox tweaks, and disabled IPv6 but no joy yet. Again thanks all for the warm welcome, and it looks to be an interesting ride!

Bungo Pony
August 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Try using the Opera web browser. I find it faster than Firefox.

starlightit
August 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah I've tried every suggestion on every forum out there including installing opera, but no luck so far, still pretty bad connectivity problems. Be working on it today.

xyz
August 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Well been an interesting first day with Linux, seems the biggest problem I've found is VERY slow browsing, and when pulling updates it kills my entire network, so have her unplugged for now til I sort out the slow browsing issue. Been through countless Firefox tweaks, and disabled IPv6 but no joy yet. Again thanks all for the warm welcome, and it looks to be an interesting ride!
Hi again,

I think you should start a new thread in the Beginners Forum about this because your questions no longer pertain to your Salutations thread.

I'm only saying this because you'd get better help there and of course...Search!

Best of luck!

mips
August 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM

If you disabled IPv6 system wide and still experiencing slow browsing then check out your dns settings/servers.