PDA

View Full Version : from ubuntu to xubuntu thread

Gargamella
August 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I have done the migration from gnome to xfce simply installing xubuntu on my desktop, so that I would not have software or daemons from gnome.

I am very happy now.
With gnome I felt like a fat man dancing, now speed had boost up with xfce.

The only thing I don't like very much is the default xubuntu software, which seems to me a little poor in development. (I installed k3b and amarok)

Anyway I think I will keep Xfce, which is in my opinion my best choise, since I don't like kde and gnome is slow on my laptop.

I would like to read non-bashing comments on desktops, thanks

Andrea

fppl
August 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I've been thinking about installing Xubuntu on my dad's PC since Ubuntu works rather slow on his too. May I ask what your system specs are?

misfitpierce
August 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Yes Xubuntu or XFCE basically is really nice. I tried it and was thinking of going back.

blithen
August 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM
XUbuntu was actually the first *Ubuntu I used.
I switched to gnome a lot more features in the GUI

thisllub
August 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I prefer Thunar to Nautilus (but what isn't better than Nautilus?) and the XFCE themability is pretty good.

Gargamella
August 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I've been thinking about installing Xubuntu on my dad's PC since Ubuntu works rather slow on his too. May I ask what your system specs are?

Sure! My laptop is a lenovo 3000 c100 512mb ram pentium celeron M, so it isn't nothing so extreme (I use also beryl with my intel GMA 900 video card)

I prefer Thunar to Nautilus (but what isn't better than Nautilus?) and the XFCE themability is pretty good.

Me too like more thunar, very handy

BuffaloX
August 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM
Xfce is very nice, I like the way things are done, but it feels like not quite a finished product yet.

I'm using Xubuntu with Gnome on top of it.
My system is much faster now than with "normal" Ubuntu.

I got rid of lots of stuff I don't need, but unfortunately I lost a few features, compared to a standard Ubuntu install.

Drag and drop from Firefox to desktop doesn't work.
(great way for temporarily saving links you want to check out later.)
"weather report" in Gnome panel won't update.

Too bad parts of "Ubuntu Desktop" can't be removed without removing everything...

I can now much better appreciate the versatility of the default Ubuntu desktop. Because things I took for granted, doesn't just work by itself. :oops:
All I need now, is 15 years experience with Linux, like I had with Windows. :razz:

PS
Even with much less experience with Ubuntu I can do more now than I ever could with Windows.8)