PDA

View Full Version : Which one is better?

beckham
August 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Which of the two laptops is a better one: DELL or ACER?

vinod_potty
August 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Acer is more suitable for normal users.

Dell is basically for Enterprise Computing needs.

Sef
August 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Acer is more suitable for normal users.

Dell is basically for Enterprise Computing needs.

Not correct. Dell has laptop computers for normal users too.

Both are good computer companies.

LookTJ
August 20th, 2007, 08:22 AM
depends on what you need and what you're looking for.

bluenova
August 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
You can't just compare Dell against Acer, it would depend on what you were looking for. But in Dell's favour they ship with Ubuntu pre-installed.

alanandhispc
August 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
There's only one way to tell.........FIGHT!

got to love harry hill...

miggols99
August 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I heard that Acer are going to have some kind of Linux (Ubuntu?) preinstalled on some systems. But not in the UK :( Or has it already happened?

fppl
August 20th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I think it's just a matter of preference. My dad had an Acer and it was pretty good. Now he has a NEC, which is also pretty good.

I'd personally go for a Dell. Just my taste.

aimran
August 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Notwithstanding pre-installed Ubuntu, I would think that Dell's hardware interfaces with Linux more readily than Acer. Anyone care to elaborate/disagree?

Arwen
August 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Whatever you choose,have in mind the technical support each company offers.
Several companies offer laptops with very good performance(toshiba,acer,dell,fujitsu-siemens..) but it depends what features you'd like for a laptop to have. I own an Acer Aspire 5003 WLMi and I'm very satisfied with it.I've also heard very good comments about toshiba,so check it out.

likemindead
August 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM
My laptop is an Acer Aspire 3003LCi and the only issue I've had with Ubuntu was with the wireless. Luckily, some gracious geniuses in our community have it all worked out. Just follow this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405990) and get this program (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php) and you're all set! Actually, I'd recommend Wicd Manager no matter what your setup.

Dark Star
August 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Believe it or not.. Dell cost more but awesome support and product .. I own 2 Dell laptop and both are outstanding :D So better buy Dell :) Acer is not bad but after all .. It takes little to acclaim you life :p So buy Dell :D Ubuntu lappy :D

Spr0k3t
August 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Notwithstanding pre-installed Ubuntu, I would think that Dell's hardware interfaces with Linux more readily than Acer. Anyone care to elaborate/disagree?

I have to agree there. However, make sure the laptop you get does not use a broadcom wireless chipset. Also, check to make sure the graphic controller is either Intel or Nvidia based for best compatibility. Acer may be cheaper, but you have to watch your components.

I would also like to throw in a vote for ZaReason and System76 in your considerations. Granted those systems are Asus rebranded devices, but they come with support and both support the communities.

popch
August 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Disagree. Used an Acer, worked like a charm and without any tweaking. Motherboard kaput, not Linux's fault.

GFree678
August 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Let's settle this properly people...

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?&word1=DELL&word2=ACER

eukhost.com
August 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Both Acer and Dell are good in their product range. In the end it comes down to how much are you willing to spend and which one gives you the most or the best for your money.

beckham
September 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the advice..