PDA

View Full Version : Tips for an Install Party?

MarieTeresa
August 20th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Hey Ev'rybody,
I've been running Ubuntu since January as my first Linux install on my own machine, and it's been awesome. I'm a computer science student, and I'd like to have a little install party in October to help some of my other female cs friends get Linux on their own machines, not just use it in the computer labs.

Anybody have any tips for a first-timer what makes a good install party? Technical, time scale, supplies, etc?

Thanks!
Marie

rharriso
August 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM
pretty much the same thing you'd have at any other party. Drinks, food. Make sure you don't just leave them at the front door with software. Make sure that they get all of the packages that will make their OS most functional. Have a theme design contest if you think you'll have time. Show them a couple of useful tips and tricks you have learned.

Also, have something else to entertain everyone while the OS is install, you don't want to be sitting around doing nothing for 30 minutes.

Thats all I can think of. Good Luck.

popch
August 20th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Please remind everyone to backup their data (or even their disk partitions) before doing something irreversible.

A server with a largish disk might be handy.

Sammi
August 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
LAN Internet would be very helpful for updating after the initial install getting getting all those extra packages to make the system fully functional.

You could possibly prepare a list of useful packages to get.

popch
August 20th, 2007, 09:47 AM
LAN Internet would be very helpful for updating after the initial install getting getting all those extra packages to make the system fully functional.

You could possibly prepare a list of useful packages to get.

Isn't there a way to cache those packages within the LAN? Otherwise, each update would be fetched over the WAN mutliple times.

Spr0k3t
August 20th, 2007, 09:56 AM
One thing I've done in the past is to backup the personal data to a DVD or two for the newer users. If it's small enough to fit on a CD though, I would drop it onto a CD.

It's also good to demo a few packages based on their interests... but mix it up a bit and go off the beaten track. Show new Linux users all the different ways to install software and how to compile programs from the terminal.

If everyone is familiar with Linux, mix it up a bit and go with a completely different distro, or demo how to do "cool things".

frup
August 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM
1) I think giving a thorough tour of how to use synaptic would be good, most people are just so clueless about synaptic. This includes apt and sources.list ofcourse

2) A bit of music fun social atmosphere, nothing too distracting for people trying to concentrate.

3) Desks.

4) Compile a manual together with helpful information, such as what program does this, this is the ubuntu alternative to this, these are cool games, blaah blaah this could include the link to ubuntu forums etc. Make this as a document that they can have in their home folder too.

GFree678
August 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM
My God, this is so damn geeky, even for me. :)

Altarbo
August 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Be sure to have plenty of cannibus. Everyone knows that Linux users are communist thugs with no respect for the law.:wink:

Seriously though, I have no idea. I've never heard of install party before. But it sounds real bizarre and cool, and I wish I lived where ladies thought it was fun to get together and install Linux.:cry:

ukripper
August 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Nice way to pull ladies, invite them on party and show linux...:guitar:

popch
August 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Please forgive if you have already thought of it; it is really a simple thing:

Power cords with a sufficient number of connections. Fuses. How much power are all those PCs going to consume, and is the power supply in your room or home up to the task?

MarieTeresa
August 22nd, 2007, 06:03 AM
Awesome everybody! Thanks so much!

BOBSONATOR
August 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Open Source Meals?

steven8
August 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Open Source Meals?

Gotta know what's in 'em. :)

If you have any connections at a local business or library with a meeting room, that may be a good idea. Their power source may be better equiped to handle the load, plus you'd have more elbow room.