PDA

View Full Version : How is Guild Wars?

Andrewie
August 20th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I was just wondering what people thought of guild wars? From what I read it sounds a lot like Diablo and Phantasy Star Online.

keyboardashtray
August 20th, 2007, 03:33 AM
As far as the player vs. environment it is terrible - utterly trash. There is no crafting, essentially no interior to buildings, no immersion, no real character development as you can respec (and pretty much must respec) your character for every given mission. The instance based questing is nice for a few factors, such as not competing for a boss, treasure, etc. The world has a two dimensional feel to it, there are times where you need to get down a small cliff and cant because there is no jumping, it is full of invisible barriers.

The in-game economy is practically non-existent, there is little incentive to trade, especially early on.

Player vs. player is Guild Wars greatest strength, but it plays like a game of magic cards, where you pick 8 skills to have on your bar, and that is it, your only other action is attack. The game is very fair, though, the classes and skills are pretty balanced, and you can create a level 20 character to pvp, and skip the pve environment. Gear is also balanced, there is no grinding for gear if you want to pvp.

Depressed Man
August 20th, 2007, 03:41 AM
I personally like it. But that's because there's no grinding (as the previous poster mentioned level 20 cap). The rare items are rarely (in fact pretty much usually) not going give you an advantage over other plays. I like being able to respec my character's attributes and skills. The storyline is pretty good too (at least I enjoy it).

Plus you don't have to pay once you buy the game itself (you have to buy the expansions if you want to play in those lands). So no monthly fees. :)

Andrewie
August 20th, 2007, 04:18 AM
what does grinding mean?

Depressed Man
August 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Just having to kill monsters over and over to gain exp (and items) to level. In Guild Wars while you do kill monsters and bosses (they aren't worth much exp), you gain the most exp from finishing the missions and quests.

Andrewie
August 20th, 2007, 04:34 AM
ok killing monsters for 4 years of my life has never been a fun thing. so does this game have a diablo feel to it or more of a wow feel?

Depressed Man
August 20th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Dunno, I haven't played either. Though I can definantly say it does not have a World of Warcraft feel. Though I would imagine it'd be closer to Diablo (reading its Wikipedia description).

Guild Wars can't really be soloed though. I mean you can try (you'll just not likely be very successful). So you'll usually wind up playing with other people or henchmen (AI controlled allies) and/or heroes (your personal controlled allies that you can setup).

goumples
August 20th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Guild Wars is second rate when compared to WOW or Daoc.

The novelty wears off fast.

keyboardashtray
August 20th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I agree with Depressed Man that the story is actually good, it is just the whole world (player vs. environment) doesn't have a fun feel to it. It is too simple, not easy, just that it doesn't have interactiveness that a good RP game - online or not - should have. The player vs. player has no contenders, though - the balance is great. But, unlike, say WoW, there is no real in-world PvP. You'll never get that feeling of trekking through dangerous terrain, hiding from enemy players, making real alliances, turning the tables on a foe, getting saved or saving a person. There is no spontaneity. In Guild Wars, you are either in a Town (and they are all alike) with a ton of people just standing around or in an instance, where you'll never bump into friend or enemy.

I have criticisms of all the MMORPGS I've played - believe me, WoW is ripe with problems of its own and I don't currently play any (although I'd love to find a good one).

I do have to take issue with hype about Guild Wars "no monthly fees". They release expansions fairly often, that if you are to be involved/stay competitive in the game, you pretty much have to buy. Not to mention all the back expansions to buy. It is cheaper in the end, but ultimately I wouldn't get into it because you think it is the "budget" MMORPG, I bet when expansions are taken into account, you probably pay five bucks a month.

I honestly don't know Diablo or Phantasy star. The game play is similar to a trading card game like Magic cards, because, whereas in a regular RP game, you would learn skills/spells/attacks that are always at your disposal, in Guild Wars you have a spellbook of multiple skills that you select 8 of before a mission/battle. They are full of combinations and counters to those combinations.

As far as grinding goes, well, one could argue the only reason you aren't grinding in Guild Wars is because the level cap is 20.

Depressed Man also makes a good point about solo playing: in Guild Wars, you HAVE to have a party to level eventually. Whether this is other people or Artificial unIntelligence, that is up to you. World of Warcraft you could solo to max. You won't want or have to, but it makes for always something to do. I myself only made it to the 50s a few times, but I could see that there were plenty of quests I could do.

To be fair, WoW lacks balance, some classes are better than others, it is much much much too gear based, all of your stats are specific to the equipment you have, and it is hard to customize your character just the way you want. It might have crafting skills (the ability to make items, etc) unlike Guild Wars, but they also lack balance and are pretty slim pickins. WoW is also a much bigger time sink.

By the way, if you go WoW, play Hordeside, you won't regret it.

Andrewie
August 20th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I don't think I'm getting guild wars anymore, I wasn't to sure about this game, and your posts proved my worries

Polygon
August 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM
eh, i enjoy guild wars. there is actually a story so the pve is kinda entertaining. But honestly ive played both wow and guild wars and the combat is essentially the same, the only difference is that in wow you have a higher level cap.

wow you can solo, gw you cant

yes you cant jump in gw, you have to walk around.

i dont know what you mean about character development, you buy /find armor and weapons for your character, its essentially the same thing as in world of warcraft.....

and pvp is a blast, since its so balanced, only level 20 cap, classes cancel out each other, its quite fun

i dont know. Id try it out on a friends comp if you can, i personally enjoy it and i also enjoy not having to shell out 15 dollars a month for a game that i already bought... once you buy the game and create your account, your account lives on forever whether you get the expansions or not.

Mazza558
August 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I'd wait for Guild Wars 2. I love the original and think the PvP side has a lot more depth than people think. I agree the PvE gets tiring after a while, but it's still a good value game for the price nowadays, and the graphics are still top-notch compared to WoW. It has its own genre really, a Co-Operative Online Role Playing Game. That, along with the fact that it's free to play after the first purchase is why it's sold 4 million copies to date.

A lot of people's dislikes about the first GW are being solved for GW. This includes:

-Free roaming
-Instanced areas
-Dynamic storylines
-Improved AI
-Jumping and Swimming
-A high level cap
-Companion system which lets you go solo
-Level not mattering as much
-Seperate PvP and PvE

...So I'm looking forward to the betas in mid 2008. Maybe you could try it then?

der_joachim
August 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
I was just wondering what people thought of guild wars? From what I read it sounds a lot like Diablo and Phantasy Star Online.

I've been playing it for 18 months now, both PvE and PVP. I have 2 out of 3 chapters. As stated before, it has both PvP and PvE modes. The graphics are quite nice, although IMHO they could have used less soft focus. It's not the 70s.

A lot of former Diablo poeple work for the GW team now, so here's your parallel with D2. I have only played WoW for 30 minutes, so I cannot give a good comparison. One advantage of GW is no monthly fees though. You only pay once.

The only real problem I have is that it refuses to play nice with wine since the last major update. It never really has, but since the last major update, I boot into XP again.:(

Depressed Man
August 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well technically you can jump in Guild Wars. You just can't use it to get anywhere.

/jump :P

And yeah, if you keep buying the expansion packs then yeah it's pretty much the same as paying a monthly fee (I think slightly cheeper? Dunno I forget the comparasion).

Though I don't play MMORPGs to much, I see them as to big of a time sink and it has little to no productivity results (not to mention I hate grinding with a passion. It makes me wonder how I played Runescape as a kid). So Guild Wars is pretty nice since I can stop whenever I want (not having to worry about being how far I'll fall behind in level and equipment) and when I feel like playing again several months later. Get back to it, maybe buy the expansion packs on sale or something lol.

haggus71
August 22nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
OK. First off, there is no comparison in price. WoW you pay what....ten to fifteen dollars a month? You can go to Target and get all three Guild Wars games for $60. That is a big difference in price.

As for graphics, I think it's personal taste, but I believe the artwork is much better in Guild Wars than the overly cartoony characters in WoW. The combat movements of characters on WoW can't compare to GW.

GW was designed originally to be primary a pvp game with a pve aspect to set up the background. It was gamers that wanted more pve that caused them to put more into pve, and eventually start GW2. They have regular skill balancing to promote a challenging PvP environment, with different levels of style, from carebear RA to ruthless GvG battles.

True, it isn't too conducive to going solo, though I have a few solo builds which can get through most areas. Through the missions and PvP, it encourages teamwork and blending of skills to help the group. Hence the name Guild Wars. You join a guild.

The only beef I have is that Ihave to keep Microcrack on my comp because of the reliance of DirectX in the game, and the bots in the game due to reliance on Microsoft servers. Dumbies.

Polygon
August 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
whats that about microsoft servers?

but guild wars runs most excellent in wine. Simply set winecfg to emulate a windows 98 enviroment, get a copy of Gw.exe so it can download all teh files, and once it is done, launch guild wars like this:

WINEDEBUG=-all wine "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -dsound -dx8 -noshaders -windowed

if it runs well enough you can try taking -dx8 off, i personally run with dx9 at around 17-20 fps. It works almost perfectly.

Acglaphotis
August 22nd, 2007, 09:26 PM
GW rules. 'Nuff said.

Dimitriid
August 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
The no grinding comments were not true in the beginning, you had to go through all the PvE stuff to unlock all skills which is usually a good advantage for teams in PvP, dont know if they already got rid of that and you can just jump right into level 20 all skills now.

bonzodog
August 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
What about Free open source native-to-linux MMORPG's?

Is there anything that people would recommend from them?

I was looking at Planeshift.

Andrewie
August 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
What about Free open source native-to-linux MMORPG's?

Is there anything that people would recommend from them?

I was looking at Planeshift.

the fsf was going to buy a game, but all of a sudden no one talked about it so my guess is they lost it. If your looking for the game the best you can do is buy windows games and buy a copy of cedega. At the very least it shows there is some interest in games.

I went out and got 2 copys. When for me and one for my brother, so we can both play. Its pretty good, and I can run it in linux. For only 29.99 its hard to pass by.

Polygon
August 23rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
yeah, the game the fsf + community donations wanted to buy was Ryzom, and it actually looked REALLY cool, but the courts awarded the game to some german company. sad.

http://www.virtualcitizenship.org/

Depressed Man
August 23rd, 2007, 01:10 AM
The no grinding comments were not true in the beginning, you had to go through all the PvE stuff to unlock all skills which is usually a good advantage for teams in PvP, dont know if they already got rid of that and you can just jump right into level 20 all skills now.

You can start a PvP account and then it comes with a level 20 character (With some free skills). Though you do have to play PvP to get the rest of them. But yeah, it didn't use to be that you could just play PvP to unlock skills.

They also made it so when a new game comes out, you can pay for an unlock pack (cheaper then the game with PvE in it). It unlocks all the items and skills for you (but you can only use it in PvP and can't get to the PvE world).