PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Linux Software? When libraries don't play nice with each other?

deadowl
August 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I've run both GNOME and KDE. I think my biggest frustration is that GTK apps and KDE apps don't integrate in each other's desktop environments very well. I stopped using KDE and switched back to GNOME because I find GNOME's desktop superior. However, I still prefer Kopete to Pidgin and Amarok to any other audio player.

What bothers me, however, is that there's no agreement on HIG between KDE and GNOME. I think that GNOME's is a bit more reflective, but still needs work (ex. try opening Evolution on a 800x600 screen. Fortunately, this will be included in the new HIG).

Also, even more irritating, when running KDE apps in Ubuntu with minimal libs, themes aren't inherited at all.

This isn't limited to KDE. There are a lot of different programs that use different libraries and don't integrate at all. Examples include Mathematica, and more recently I d/led SongWrite from the repositories. Both of these examples end up with the same style as each other, but it doesn't match my GNOME style on Ubuntu.

Functionally speaking, this isn't too much of a problem for the majority of people.

Aesthetically speaking, this will deter the use of software not written with the specific GUI library, despite being functionally better.

Who's working on all of this?