PDA

View Full Version : Making a forum / Blog / homepage

Omnios
August 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hi I found a free web host site that looks pretty good so I am in the process of setting up and making a forum site wich will also probably have a blog and a homepage area. I am also going to look into a wiki later on.

I am looking for a free or open source furum package but would like it to look a bit different from the norm but as long as it looks good and is maintainable I may go that direction.

I also kind of want to integrate a blog like page to it for news etc. I set up a forum before but the web host went pay so kind of lost interest.

Anyone have any suggestions for interesting stuff?

tdrusk
August 19th, 2007, 08:32 PM
For the blog Wordpress is nice.

nickburns
August 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
phpbb is nice

Omnios
August 19th, 2007, 09:48 PM
For the blog Wordpress is nice.

K got
wordpress up and running so have to go write some stuff.

Thanks, laterz

Hossie
August 19th, 2007, 10:03 PM
If you want an all-in-one solution, you could try Drupal (http://drupal.org/), Joomla (http://joomla.org/) or Typo3 (http://typo3.org/). They all feature easy posting of articles, forums, blogs, and easy addons via modules.

LookTJ
August 19th, 2007, 11:07 PM
forum: SMF

Blog: drupal.

Omnios
August 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM
forum: SMF

Blog: drupal.

How is the drupal forum modual.

The main fuction of the site is for programming.

Omnios
August 20th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Hi anyone know of any pages done in Drupal. I have heard of it before and its supposed to be very flexible.

lyceum
August 20th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I can name one, but it is very popular. I am planing on using it on mine, if I can ever get it started....

LookTJ
August 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Hi anyone know of any pages done in Drupal. I have heard of it before and its supposed to be very flexible.
Check Distropedia.net, they use Drupal.

Omnios
August 20th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Drupal is impressive, its kind of funny as I was talking to a programmer developer on the go bus as I was reading a Python programming book and he mentioned Drupal.

I like the idea of Drupal as hopefully I will learn a lot. I also like the forum functions as it may be usefull for what I am trying to achieve.

I also want a full blown forum like php but want something different and functional in ways I have yet to see.

Thanks for your input guys!

reacocard
August 20th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I also like drupal, I use it myself actually. I'd link to the site but my server's down right now.

Anyway, there's a forums module for Drupal called uieforum that acts in a more-traditional manner, you might want to check it out.

Hossie
August 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Spreadfirefox is powered by Drupal. Also check out their Showcase section (http://drupal.org/forum/25).

DeadSuperHero
August 20th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I use Wordpress with SMF on mine.

reacocard
August 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM
My site is back up now: http://celerius.tuxfamily.org/

front page news/blog system is the Story module
forums are uieforums
wiki is a combination of a bunch of stuff as there is no dedicated wiki module

Its all fully-functional, feel free to look around.

Hossie
August 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
How can you give a node (e.g. your "get involved") a custom name (in the url)?

reacocard
August 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM
How can you give a node (e.g. your "get involved") a custom name (in the url)?

The 'Path' module allows this, you can set it in the options below the page editor.

Alternatively, you can use the 'Pathauto' module to automatically create url aliases based on the node type and name.

eukhost.com
August 21st, 2007, 03:24 PM
For forum, go for PhpBB - plenty of mods available for it and quite easy to install and maintain. Wordpress is good for blog.

Obor
August 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
I use Joomla and I'm pretty happy with it. Plenty of forum options etc.
...link in my signature if you wanna see how it works.

Hossie
August 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
The 'Path' module allows this, you can set it in the options below the page editor.

Alternatively, you can use the 'Pathauto' module to automatically create url aliases based on the node type and name.

Wow nice feature, thank you. :)

Omnios
August 26th, 2007, 05:34 AM
K struggling getting Drupal running on a free webhost server. I found a free server that requires banner adds that it worked on, problem with that was I was not impressed with the adds they put on the page.

I also found two free webhosts that seem really good and are free and do not require forced adds. Also they allow you to have your own adds. On of them would not allow Drupal file types because of security reasons and another that seems to be bending over back words to get drupal working.

This is pretty impressive for a free server.

WHAT you get:
- 7 GB disk space (store as many files as you need)
- 100 GB data transfer (all the bandwith you like)
- FTP account (upload files via ftp or file manager)
- 7 mysql databases (use them wisely!)
- PHP 5 (for those who need php to run scripts)
- No advertisements on your pages, ever!

I also found a content manager on line and am wondering is anyone is familiar with it, It is called Mambo and it is open source.

reacocard
August 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
K struggling getting Drupal running on a free webhost server. I found a free server that requires banner adds that it worked on, problem with that was I was not impressed with the adds they put on the page.

I also found two free webhosts that seem really good and are free and do not require forced adds. Also they allow you to have your own adds. On of them would not allow Drupal file types because of security reasons and another that seems to be bending over back words to get drupal working.

This is pretty impressive for a free server.

WHAT you get:
- 7 GB disk space (store as many files as you need)
- 100 GB data transfer (all the bandwith you like)
- FTP account (upload files via ftp or file manager)
- 7 mysql databases (use them wisely!)
- PHP 5 (for those who need php to run scripts)
- No advertisements on your pages, ever!

I also found a content manager on line and am wondering is anyone is familiar with it, It is called Mambo and it is open source.

Wow that is impressive, can we have a link to this host please?

As for mambo, never heard of it, sorry.

az
August 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Mambo is the precursor to Joomla. When the owners of the code turned to the GPL licence, but refused to integrate the development from the majority of the development community around the project, they forked into Joomla.

Joomla is regarded as being popular for single-use, personal sites, but Drupal has more power and extensibility under-the-hood. Usually, you have to pay for non-free Joomla modules if you want to add extra functionality. There are not many non-free modules for Drupal (if any at all?)

Drupal is more secure than Joomla (IMHO). The code is smaller and neater. It is also more centralized since there are not a lot of non-free modules for it. Just keep up-to-date.

Dark Star
August 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
My vote is for IPB :D Awesome options :D

Omnios
August 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Wow that is impressive, can we have a link to this host please?

As for mambo, never heard of it, sorry.

k pm me for now im going to have to ask admins ok as there are paid hosting advert on there pages.

Omnios
September 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
K got a free webhost from the buy who admins freeweb7 and managed to get Drupal installed and working. I have been playing around with it for a few days now and the amount of admin functions is impressive.

Drupal out of the box is misleading in functionality and there is huge usability by looking into the modules available for Drupal.

The main problem I found with Drupal is that most of the freehosts do not allow a lot of the drupal file types creating a situation where you can not install it.

So far I only have a under construction welcome page, so over the next week or so I am going to be setting up some websites.

I would recommend people to try drupal if they have a host that supports it as I am very impressed with it so far.

cheers

Omnios
October 2nd, 2007, 04:36 AM
Finally getting somewhere with Drupal. My page is a mess but im finally getting somewhere.

http://seekaboo.info (http://seekaboo.info/)

Hopefully I will have some content up this week.