PDA

View Full Version : White lithium bicycle grease as thermal paste?

izanbardprince
August 19th, 2007, 03:30 AM
They have this stuff at Wal-Mart dirt cheap, I wonder how well it would work, anyone?

wolfen69
August 19th, 2007, 04:19 AM
i would absolutely NOT use it.

Nano Geek
August 19th, 2007, 04:21 AM
I would not recommend it ether.
Unless it was made to transfer heat, it probably won't.

izanbardprince
August 19th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I decided to head to Radio Shack tomorrow and buy a tube of Artic Silver 5, I've heard good things about that stuff.

Anyway, it looks like it works a lot better than that cheap silicon grease that eMachines used on that Sempron.

HermanAB
August 19th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Any kind of grease, even vaseline, will help with heat transfer and metal filled molybdenum grease would probably be fine for a processor. However, the trouble is the high operating temperature. Even car bearing grease would still get very soft and may run out.

Anthem
August 19th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Go with Arctic Silver. It's not that expensive, and one tube will last you for a while.

There' s no reason to torch a $200 processor because you wanted to save $5 on paste.

goumples
August 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I'd definately err on the side of caution with this one.. it may well work out, but as others have said I couldnt justify the risk.

K.Mandla
August 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Peanut butter works well. But not chunky.

crazy_driver_78
March 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I can't recommend using it either, but I have successfully used it to stably overclock a K6-III+/450ACZ to 600MHz with a monsterous copper heatsink with a 1.6Amp Xeon fan bolted on.

Bezmotivnik
March 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
It's an interesting question.

I've never understood why thermal grease is and always has been so insanely expensive, nor have I ever been thoroughly convinced of the miraculous claims made for some brands of it.

Back when I was doing amp repairs, a tech friend had a HUGE tube of the MILSPEC stuff he'd gotten at a surplus sale at the local Air Force base. The government must have spent $1000 on it. It was the largest tube of anything I've ever seen, before or since.

I always save the little packets that come with stuff.

The thing I really hate about the silver stuff is that it bonds the heatsink to the CPU with only a little less tenacity than epoxy. I've had some mishaps trying to get coolers loose, even when at operating temperatures.

gn2
March 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM
The one I would be tempted to try is the copper grease used on brake components.

http://tinyurl.com/3bb2yr

But I would only try it on an old P2, not a C2D!

futureproof
March 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
ive always been told that paste is better than grease

solitaire
March 7th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I'd stick with the paste.

Although i spent 4 hours "lapping" my Heatsink to a mirror finish to get an extra 5c cooling :D

I was not gonna skimp on £5 for a tube of thermal paste :D