PDA

View Full Version : palm vs pocket pc

weverjames
August 19th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I am thinking about buying a palm. I have a pocket pc, but I don't like the windows os anymore.
However, I know pocket pcs have more powerful processors than palms. I had the palm lifedrive for 1 month and it died. After that I read reviews and I realized this was not an isolated problem of lifedrive. Thanks gad I was still under the store warranty.
I don;t know if other models have the same problems.
I don't know if there are other options for pda running linux os. However, all the medical software that I need to run, run just in palm os or windows mobile.
I don't know what ubuntu mobile would do, if there are no companies doing software for ubuntu mobile. What would be the solution that ubuntu will have for consumers that need to run applications that are just sold in the main 2 plataforms.
I will await for advice.

:::
August 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
At the moment, I think there is no real alternative to either Garnet (the current PalmOs) or Windows Mobile.

However, both Palm (probably called "PalmOs" again) and Access ("Access Linux Platform") are working on a new linux-based mobile OS that will be able to run Garnet-Applications.

A while ago, there was also a project to create a free PalmOs-Clone. If I remember right, the name was "knose", but as far as I know they gave up quite quickly...

There is also a Garnet-Emulator, you can download from Access' website. They state it runs on "unix computers", so it might also work on a linux-based PDA.

As for other linux-based PDAs, there are Nokia's "Internet Tablets" and the (upcomming) "OpenMoko", but they are probably both not able to run the applications you need...