PDA

View Full Version : Things That Make You Love Linux

RaiD_5
August 18th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Well, I couldn't find a thread like this, im sure there are but oh well.

Things that make me love linux:

* You can run 1 application or 100 applications and it STILL runs at the same speed!

* no errors what-so-ever

* It's FREE

* Can run on ANY box, even my 386 :)

* Comes with anything you ever need for work productivity

* VERY simple and logical once you learn

* Never gets old, always something to do or update

* Every year i am amazed at what the linux community is trying to accomplish, you guys works SO much harder than M$; i've seen this new distro which is trying to handle .exe files!

* I emulated M$ in linux and M$ ran FASTER in linux virtually than being a real OS

* i love the linux architecture, how it is setup is lovely - no searching through strangely named directories/folders

* one of the best parts is the humor in certain distros, especially the older versions of mandrake (Tux everywhere)

* I love Tux! he is the ultimate symbol of knowledge!

Also i would like to say thank you to everyone who makes these projects possible, i have learned so much about hardware, trouble shooting, data recovery, and much more by using linux distros.

1/0
August 18th, 2007, 09:25 PM
From using Linux for 12 years now I've got to say that what I love the most is that its open source so you can change things for your needs.

I really like the possibility to log as much or little as you want. Try that in Windows...

Usually you don't have to pay money to upgrade and with some intelligent distros you don't even have to burn a cd or anything to update. You only have to enter one line.

There are more than one window manager! You don't have to have a menu in the panels.

Its a Finnish-Swedish guy who invented it as a hobby. LoL.

glosman15
August 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Things I like:
-takes up less hdd space
-uses less resources
-most things are free
-everything is stable
-has everything I need to be productive
-complete customization
-constantly updated

Things I hate:
-Audio CD's do not play unless i use sound juicer to play them
-Ati drivers suck ***
-firefox is slow sometimes

harlan
August 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
The thing I like most about GNU/Linux is that you learn Computer Science while you use your home system.

Kitsun
August 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM
-Easy to backup my data, because everything is in correctly named dot directories in my home folder, no more backing up select registry entries.
-Using Winkey or Alt and mouse buttons for resizing windows (favorite feature actually)
-Virtual Desktops/Workspaces/Etc
-Don't have to pirate anything
-Amarok!
-Nicer GUIs
-Benefits of a terminal

miggols99
August 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Things I like:

KDE :D
Amarok - Plays music and looks good doing it
Arch Linux - Fast, customizable and let's me choose what to include
Fast - My comp doesn't go crazy when I'm browsing (it's silent at the moment :)) but of course it does when I compile stuff...
Customizable - I can get a dock if I want. I don't have to have a "Start Button" and I can have any window manager I like
Compiz Fusion :p

Things I don't like:

Bad ATI drivers
Can't go on all websites (Windows only websites) which use Windows only plugins

FuturePilot
August 18th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Oh, there's so many. Where do I start? :p
*I love finding a nifty little feature that doesn't have an equivalent in Windows.
* The terminal
* Programs don't crash and in the rare event that they do, they don't take the entire system with them
* Speed! :lol:
* Customization

That's all I can think of for now.

adewale
August 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Its Free
It allows me run beryl on an old pc
I've never done an update since i've been using linux
Broadens my knowledge
A big thatks to you guys and God bless

j1mmy-1
August 19th, 2007, 12:40 AM
It's got nowt do with Micro$oft

freeflyer57
August 19th, 2007, 12:42 AM
MUSIC= hippies

Technology= Linux

It's a revolution, man!

1/0
August 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
When I come to think of it, I can't remember thinking of using Windows as fun. That's what GNU/Linux has brought to me, fun! Its like when I was programing in Assembler 64 (yes, its on a cassette) on the c-64. That was tricky, since I was young, but fun.

Something tells me this thread going to be long...

RaiD_5
August 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Bad ATI drivers

i found a distro that does ATI: openSuSE, i had same problem with ubuntu (my only problem :lolflag:)

phrostbyte
August 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Package management
Customization (no need to hax0r your machine's system files to change a theme)
Free (as in freedom) <-- This is important to me cause I like to share
Compiz Fusion + AWN dock <-- sexy as hell
Package management
Powerful built-in CLI

DeadSuperHero
August 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM
The innovation feel to it. In Windows, it's not very inspiring at all, you just use it to check email, talk online, and play/make some games.
But with Linux (Ubuntu especially), you get this feel that you can do anything. Don't like how something runs? Crack it open, fix a little code, then recompile it. You can even contribute back your changes.
Also, it's helped me brush up on my computer knowledge, as well as history of GNU/Linux (and Open Source in general)
And of course, I love the beauty of my Compiz Fusion. My windows duck around other windows. Take that, Vista!

jrusso2
August 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Things I like about Linux,

No coerced forced upgrades.

Stability

Lack of spyware, malware and virus

Free

I don't feel like every time I install something I have to worry thats its going to wreck the whole system.

Fonon
August 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I love Linux because:
-Its easy as heck to install new software
-It almost always runs at full speed
-Low System Spec requirements
-Open Source
-Always Being Worked on
-Tux!
-Friendly community
-Can do most things that Windows can, and what it can't, you usually have an alternative
-Awesome GUI