PDA

View Full Version : Let me get this straight...

jpr13
August 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I have been reading a lot about Ubuntu and I have learned that:

There is no need for a firewall unless I am running internet services, if I don't, all my ports are secure by default.

No virus scan needed, no viruses exist for linux.

LInux never needs to be defragged.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!

Jason

aysiu
August 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Well, there are disadvantages, too. Ubuntu is not the free and secure version of Windows. Ubuntu has its own sets of problems:

* Most commercial software does not have a Ubuntu version
* A lot of peripherals do not work with Ubuntu
* Ubuntu sucks without an internet connection
* Installing software outside the repositories can be a lot of trouble
* Firefox doesn't allow you to preview images when you upload them to a website (Firefox in Windows does, however)

The list goes on.

Every OS has its pros and cons. Right now you're focusing on the pros. Many newcomers focus only on the cons. When you've used Ubuntu for a while, you'll notice both the pros and the cons equally.

moore.bryan
August 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I have been reading a lot about Ubuntu and I have learned that:

There is no need for a firewall unless I am running internet services, if I don't, all my ports are secure by default.

i don't know if the term "secure by default" is completely accurate; but, yes, the ports are closed by default.

No virus scan needed, no viruses exist for linux.

a few exist, but only in theory

LInux never needs to be defragged.

afaik, not exactly... linux does this automatically every x-number of boots with fsck

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!

welcome to every day of my life...

;-)

jedijf
August 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The brown pill.

We were waiting for you to get it, after the other thread.

We do realize that old habits are hard to break. It's not your fault, you only knew (previously) what you needed to know to keep your windows system usable.

Relax, and enjoy a secure, true multi-user os.

Keep this in mind: Software may utilize certain services that may become exploitable. Keep your software up to date and that will prevent as many exploitable options as possible. Other than that, you are as secure as possible.

cookies
August 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Well, there are disadvantages, too. Ubuntu is not the free and secure version of Windows. Ubuntu has its own sets of problems:

* Firefox doesn't allow you to preview images when you upload them to a website (Firefox in Windows does, however)

The list goes on.

Every OS has its pros and cons. Right now you're focusing on the pros. Many newcomers focus only on the cons. When you've used Ubuntu for a while, you'll notice both the pros and the cons equally.

Well there is this:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KGtk+(Use+KDE+Dialogs+in+Gtk+Apps)?content=36077

If you have Firefox running on KDE or all the necessaries needed for KDialog, you can use this app for KDE File Dialogs in GTK apps and then got to View > Thumbnail previews in the file selector.

But that's off topic.

But Linux has viruses (Like 12, and none in the wild)
Yes your ports are secure, but as soon as you run any web server/ web service type thing, they aren't.

Linux only fragments drives when they are full, to find space.
(Or so I've been told, never filled a drive before myself)

kriebz
August 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Sorry to respond to a responder, I'll get to the parent next:

IMHO...

Most commercial software doesn't have a GNU/Linux version. I can live with that. Some businesses can't, but most home users can. Who wants to go shopping for software these days.

I can't really think of too many. Wireless cards... PDAs and smart phones are a pain.

:s/Ubuntu/any computer/

Once a new user actually stops being affraid of the Add/Remove program, I don't think he'll be looking to install from other places... although my sister did install Real Player with 0 trouble... no idea why.

I can see how this is useful... never used it myself on any platform.

carusoswi
September 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Sorry to respond to a responder, I'll get to the parent next:

IMHO...

Most commercial software doesn't have a GNU/Linux version. I can live with that. Some businesses can't, but most home users can. Who wants to go shopping for software these days.

I can't really think of too many. Wireless cards... PDAs and smart phones are a pain.

:s/Ubuntu/any computer/

Once a new user actually stops being affraid of the Add/Remove program, I don't think he'll be looking to install from other places...

The Ubuntu community really needs to get over that sort of notion that the reason Ubuntu doesn't replace XP on most computers is because users are somehow inadequately familiar with Ubuntu. See my posts above. I don't consider myself a power XP user. The software I mention is readily available to anyone willing to pay for it (and to some who get it in other ways). It won't run on Ubuntu - and I can understand that. Ubuntu isn't Windows and, that said, remarkably runs quite a few windows applications. The problem is that there is plenty of functionality that isn't yet offered in Ubuntu. More free than free doesn't matter if there are daily tasks that one needs to perform on a computer and those tasks can only be done (or can be done better) in XP.

I paid a lot for the proprietary Windows based software that I mentioned in my previous quote. I would gladly ditch it if I could find something of remotely close functionality in the Linux world. So far, that functionality just isn't available.

I'm not Ubuntu expert, but, I can find my way around well enough to obtain and install what functionality there is. If programs like Wavelab and Vegas (and, yes, Photoshop 9) existed in the Linux world, I would have them. They don't.

So, to suggest that my problems with Ubuntu are me, and that, when I am more familiar with installing Ubuntu aps that I will outgrow my need for XP is simply not correct.

Don't mean to rant at you, but, I do get tired of hearing that.

Ubuntu is great, but I cannot afford to give up those few pieces of software that occupy 90 % of my computer time.

Caruso