PDA

View Full Version : Laptop pre-installed with Linux here in Germany!!!

jamyskis
August 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I know laptops with Linux are rare but available in the US, and that buying a laptop here in Germany with Linux preinstalled has been next to impossible.

Well - my girlfriend, knowing that I was looking for a cheap laptop, pointed to me a site on Quelle (a German catalogue ordering company). This was pure luck, as she doesn't know what Linux is (not been with her long :lolflag: ) and didn't notice LINUX written in big letters.

The catch - it's Knoppix - but still, better than having Windoze crap on it (and paying the Windoze tax). I don't think this is genuine Linux support from Quelle, rather that Microsoft only allows OEMs to bundle Vista now and this laptop would not be in any position to run it (despite being "Windows Vista (in)Capable)

aysiu
August 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Apparently, Dell is also selling Ubuntu-preloaded computers in Germany:
Ubuntu Dell Now In UK, France, and Germany (http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/08/07/2343235.shtml)

RaiD_5
August 18th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Wow,I just bought a laptop also; it had Vista on it... it took about 10 minutes to set up the user profile. I got fed up with it and flattened the hard drive and installed Ubuntu on it. WORKS SO MUCH BETTER! Too bad it wasn't pre-installed, i think the general public should turn to tux.

phen
January 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
today a friend asked dell in germany about ubuntu on other laptops than on the webpage specified.

they answered, that it is now possible to buy XPS laptops with ubuntu preloaded. is this news or old stuff? I didnt know and I think its great!

he saves around 100 for not buying vista