PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Chat

jpr13
August 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Does anyone use chat software in Ubuntu?
With Audio and Webcam support?
Which is the best?

Jason

jedijf
August 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Applications --> Internet --> Gaim

Gaim is now called Pidgin, but in 7.04 its listed as Gaim.

Support for most protocols and audio, not sure about webcam support.

raja
August 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Gyachi was supposed to be the yahoo messenger clone, but I think development is sort of stuck.
aMSN may be the only application with webcam and sound support. For now, this is the only thing for which I have to boot into windows.

loell
August 19th, 2007, 12:11 AM
gyachi development is quite alive and kicking

freeflyer57
August 19th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Gyachi is amazing it lets me voice chat, IM and webcam with my girlfriend.

raja
August 19th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Gyachi is amazing it lets me voice chat, IM and webcam with my girlfriend.

Maybe I should look it up again !

freeflyer57
August 19th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Maybe I should look it up again !

I use GYachE improved v.1.0.5. There is a more current version, I believe. But I like how this version workd with my computer. One thing I have learned in Linux is if it works leave it alone for the time being.

scrooge_74
August 19th, 2007, 12:23 AM
kopete also has webcam support

ajc37
August 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Gyachi is great, i can do just about everything i was doing with yahoo chat the problem i have is that i can't broadcast with my webcam. I have a logitech quick cam messanger which works in kopete, Ekiga, i can receive images from buddies online but when i "start my webcam" i get a blank screen and it's available to them. Will i have to recompile to enable V4L2?.

loell
August 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
you could try this build with v4l2 enable , see if it can show up your webcam (http://gyachi.sidetrack.googlepages.com/gyachi_sidetrack_v4l2_i386.deb)

villegasgreg
August 20th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Gyachi is great, i can do just about everything i was doing with yahoo chat the problem i have is that i can't broadcast with my webcam. I have a logitech quick cam messanger which works in kopete, Ekiga, i can receive images from buddies online but when i "start my webcam" i get a blank screen and it's available to them. Will i have to recompile to enable V4L2?.

try sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0

ajc37
August 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks, the installation went well but i still can't use my webcam. My friends now just see a black screen as before it was just unavailable. i did download gyach enhanced 1.0.7 rpm and all the plugins from sourcefourge.net. converted them to .deb with alien and installed those and everything worked, now when i "start my webcam", i can see myself in the preview pain but in 4 frames that can't decide which one it wants to stick with and in different colors, lol. when i send an invite to view my cam to my friends, they are able to see me but in this weird 4 frame deal. And now this morning, both 1.0.5 and 1.0.7 are unstable. 1.0.7 more so, it just crashes for no reason. Any ideas?, i'm using a logitech quick cam messenger, Should i get a different cam?. i do have a nexxtech cam for my laptop.

But like i say i have no problem using my cam in kopete but i do like having the yahoo features that gyach provides

Thanks,
Ajc37