PDA

View Full Version : What to do when Gutsy is released?

cookieforyou
August 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I have used Feisty since it was released and it runs Gnome and KDE much exactly as I could ever want, from the apps to desktops to conky, and I would hate to have to start all this over again when Gutsy is released.
What I do NOT want is to have to dual boot Feisty and Gutsy.....seems pointless somehow.
So what do I do when Gutsy is released?

bobbocanfly
August 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I used a 6.10 installer disk as i couldnt be bothered to make a 7.04 one and Ubuntu said i could do a full distro upgrade from 6.10 to 7.04 in the same way you would just update one of your standard apps. Not sure if this is the case with all of them (Standard to LTS releases might be different)./

starcraft.man
August 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Don't upgrade? Seems simple enough to me. You can keep Feisty until the support ends...

infoseeker
August 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I have that *insane* desire to try the newer releases when they appear. I am in the same predicament :D

OoooMatron
August 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Dual boot it, copy over the important parts of your home and directory and when you rae happy with it remove the old partition.

ajgreeny
August 18th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I agree with ooooomatron. It's what I have done for the last three or four version upgrades as I never quite trust the first release of a new OS for my main system. Once I'm happy with the new version the old one goes.

Polygon
August 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
backup my home folder to my usb drive. boot up the gusty live cd, delete the old home partition, recreate it and then reinstall.

Depressed Man
August 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I'd normally stay with the existing OS (I've learned never to break working technology). But Gutsy has additional battery saving abilities :(. Though right now brightness control doesn't work in Gutsy while it works in Feisty with the fix I found. (for some reason for other people it works in Gutsy).

potrick
August 18th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I tend to keep my home directory in a seperate partition. This way when update comes (or when I bork x.org) a reinstall keeps all my old settings and documents if I mount the directory properly. It works like a charm.

goumples
August 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm gonna do a clean install of Gusty on the day of its release.. this might not be feasible for everyone but I like to try new stuff straight away.

cody50
August 18th, 2007, 10:22 PM
does anyone know the most common reason for a borked upgrade? I heard it was additional third party repositories. what do you think/know? I have the WineHQ one to get the latest version of wine but i'm not sure if that would break things like automatix sometimes does for upgrades.

BOBSONATOR
August 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Im going to go fresh on this one. like always.