PDA

View Full Version : How many people on this forum pray to Linux before they go to sleep?

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I Just made a switch to Linux at home mainly because I'm used to using it at work, and I like the programs I entered the forum earlier today to ask about cnr when a filled the title bar I got a hit on the same question. I checked it out. And it was pretty crazy how everybody got all insane about linspire. no one even tried to answer the question they were just trying to guilt and brainwash this person into not using the software of his choice (like a cult or something) . For a community thats always talking about freedom, making someone feel evil or stupid for wanting to use cnr does not seem very free to me. Did I just find a bad post or is this the way things are in the Linux community. If thats the case I'll go back to the other guys at least they don't make me feel guilty for using an Ipod :(

Nebby
August 18th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Firstly, like you said, the community is about freedom. People can choose what software they want, and people can choose to dislike any software they want. And you can choose not to pay attention.
Also, what forum was this on? Because if you go on a Slack forum asking for help with Linspire, help is not exactly likely.

DamjanDimitrioski
August 18th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I only prey to one god, Me.

GFree678
August 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I think you mean "pray", not prey. I certainly don't whack on the camo gear, grab a rifle and stalk out my operating system every night. :)

DamjanDimitrioski
August 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
When i press power off on my Linux, it turns off in a second,
cause i fixed the fan's.

Spr0k3t
August 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Linux is a cult unfortunately. However, so is every other group out there with fanatics involved. Since the CEO of Linspire left and they agreed to the Microsoft IP scandal, there will be many people against them for those very reasons. Quite sad really, but there are fanbois wherever you go... not just in Linux.

starcraft.man
August 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I Just made a switch to Linux at home mainly because I'm used to using it at work, and I like the programs I entered the forum earlier today to ask about cnr when a filled the title bar I got a hit on the same question. I checked it out. And it was pretty crazy how everybody got all insane about linspire. no one even tried to answer the question they were just trying to guilt and brainwash this person into not using the software of his choice (like a cult or something) . For a community thats always talking about freedom, making someone feel evil or stupid for wanting to use cnr does not seem very free to me. Did I just find a bad post or is this the way things are in the Linux community. If thats the case I'll go back to the other guys at least they don't make me feel guilty for using an Ipod :(

Many people have a bad taste in their mouth when they hear Linspire what with Carmony's "letters" to bad mouth every other distribution who criticized him/refused to sign a deal with MS as "pirates". Oh and lets not forget that Ubuntu's nothing but a "cannibal". All of this being ironic because Linspire then went and based 6.0 on Ubuntu. So yeah, I suppose a few people are resentful of Linspire (and even some of their members who look down on others with some of the same mentality).

As for the question, I believe the thread your talking about was asking when it's coming. The answer is, nobody knows, whenever it gets there. There isn't anything wrong with synaptic, for information on using it hit up the blue link in my sig.

Oh I might add that this "freedom" your talking about includes freedom of opinion and to dislike any given project (like me not liking Automatix and promoting Synaptic/Aptitude), even to promote against it if that's what you feel. No one however will censor or remove the choice to use, that goes against freedom (unless removal as a supported feature is a community/distro choice, which case it would be fine).

A note: IMO, Linux isn't a cult because it doesn't have one leader at the top manipulating everyone... there are way too many important people. It also grants far too much freedom with respect to software. Apple is closer to it in this respect. There will however be fanboys or other such people everywhere... you can simply ignore them (another freedom).

Backharlow
August 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
It's a trade-off. Sometimes (here) you have to exercise social tact within the community and not inflame the wrong people. But in exchange, there is a wealth of information at your disposal, and the fact that it costs nothing is just a given. When you said..

...I entered the forum earlier today to ask about cnr when a filled the title bar I got a hit on the same question.
Just the fact that you found exactly what you were looking for here when you were still asking the question should be some indication that things do get done. Social injustices do get righted. The system works on its own. You just have to have a bit of faith, and again tact.

Ozor Mox
August 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
My only suggestion to you would be not to choose your operating system based on the reaction from some posters on a single thread of these forums. Even if you did do that, you would still only be deciding against Ubuntu, and not the countless other Linux distributions. But as it happens, most people I think agree that Ubuntu has one of the friendliest communities around and if the odd fanboyish reaction deters you from here, then it looks like you might end up with a computer without an operating system! (Or at least it definitely won't be OS X! :))

likemindead
August 18th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Many Ubuntu users are going to be quite zealous about the OS and community. And in a community of this size, as with any, you are going to have folks who aren't very tactful or who say things without considering how it might come across.

Don't give up on Ubuntu or this community. A couple of months ago, I'd never even heard of Ubuntu--and now I are one! Seriously, this is a great place to be in human history. Really.

Andrewie
August 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
just find all the fan boys and add them to your ignore list, you won't get the help when they actually have something smart to say but you can enter threads with out dealing with their cultish ways.

phenest
August 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Did he say iPod? We'll have none of that here! Only joking ;)

We are a community but we are also commited to the growth, well being, and protection of Linux, and not just peoples freedom.Some just get a little over excited.

phrostbyte
August 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Well they have the freedom to not help you. Remember mostly everyone here isn't getting paid to help. How many people have you personally helped with Linux?

HermanAB
August 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hmm, the majority of people on these forums are very young. You have to forgive them for that. They'll grow up eventually.

Anyhoo, I don't pray to Linux - I use RAID1 and do rsync with cron.daily, so I can sleep without having to say prayers...

swoll1980
August 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I have never used a forum before (I always new what I was doing) I visited some other forums MS and OSX. These forums have fanatics on them too. Guess I never knew how serious some people were about software. To much free time on there hands I guess

Lord Illidan
August 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Hey I do have an ipod...I just formatted it with Rockbox :P

You'll find all sorts of people here, I don't like Linspire, but I don't hate it neither. I do love Linux, and the philosophy behind it, but I don't regard it a cult, just a very good community which I am proud to be part of.

Ozor Mox
August 20th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I have never used a forum before (I always new what I was doing) I visited some other forums MS and OSX. These forums have fanatics on them too. Guess I never knew how serious some people were about software. To much free time on there hands I guess

While I agree with you to an extent and am not defending the zealotry that goes with all of the operating systems (and indeed other software), I think that it's a bit of a generalisation when people call them sad or say that they have too much free time and so on. If people are on a forum for an operating system, they probably have an interest in computers, and anything that you have an interest in you are going to develop an opinion and some kind of passion towards. Add to that that people generally care less about what they say over the internet because they cannot be seen in person, and it isn't really all that surprising that you see it a lot on computing forums (or probably anywhere else on the net really). Your average Joe who doesn't know what the operating system is and who's 4 year old computer is still running the original installation of Windows XP is not going to be posting on Ubuntu Forums.