PDA

View Full Version : Just read the rationale on why Ubuntu defaults to BROWN

wersdaluv
August 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I know that this has been discussed for many many many times, but I just read a good rational on why brown is the color.

I found this page--> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth and it was stated that
Why is the default desktop in Ubuntu BROWN?

The overarching theme of the first set of Ubuntu releases is "Humanity". This drives our choice of artwork as much as our selection of packages and decisions around the installer. Our default theme in the first four releases of Ubuntu is called "Human", and it emphasises warm, human colours - brown.

Yes, that's rather unusual in a world where most desktops are blue or green, and the MacOSX has gone kitchenware. Partly, we like the fact that Ubuntu is different, warmer. The computer is not a device any more, it's an extension of your mind, your gateway to other people (by email, voip, irc, and over the web). We wanted a feel that was unique, striking, comforting, and above all, human. We chose brown. That's quite a high risk choice, because to render brown your screen has to render subtle shades of blue, and green, and red. Even slight variations from the norm can shift the "brown" substantially. But monitors and LCD screens these days are increasingly of a standard that we felt the risk was acceptable. In Hoary and Breezy we have gone with a richer, redder brown, based on feedback from lower-end laptop and LCD screen users.
Will brown always be the default desktop colour?

Unlikely that ANYTHING will be static forever, given that we expect Ubuntu to be around a long time :-)

Our current plan is that the Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06 if we hit our June 2006 release date goal) will be the last of this first "set" of releases. So post-Dapper we have the opportunity to define a new "feel" or overarching theme. It would be unlikely to be... blue. But it might be substantially different to the current Human theme. For the moment, let's stay focused on the road to Dapper, polish up the existing Human theme to the max for that, and then break new ground post-Dapper.

What can you say about the reasoning? Do you dig it? As for me, it made me go back to the Human theme and I tried to appreciate it.

LaRoza
August 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
What can you say about the reasoning? Do you dig it? As for me, it made me go back to the Human theme and I tried to appreciate it.

I understand the reasoning, and found the default to make sense, even if it didn't appeal to me.

I use Black and Grey for everything, and try to reduce the load of the GUI by disabling any glitter.

-EDIT Your post count is 666, be careful.

wersdaluv
August 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I understand the reasoning, and found the default to make sense, even if it didn't appeal to me.

I use Black and Grey for everything, and try to reduce the load of the GUI by disabling any glitter.

-EDIT Your post count is 666, be careful.

Hahahahahha.. I just noticed it too!! Wow.. the number of the beast! hahaha

moffatt666
August 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I left alone, my mind was blank
I needed time to get those memories from my mind.
I'm coming back, I WILL RETURN!
I will posess your bodies and I'll make them burn!

666, the number of the beast!
666, the one for you and me!

Guess the song and win a prize!*

*The prize may not actually be tangible.

swoll1980
August 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Brown rocks. My Cleveland Browns(NFL American Football Team) play tomarrow night
GO BROWNS

wersdaluv
August 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM

:lolflag:

blueturtl
August 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I like the default theme in Ubuntu. I've even found several background images that go very well with it. Finally it's not like you couldn't change it either, so is there really any reason to complain? Especially since they actually have a good reason to pick brown. I have never come across a good reason to prefer blue or green on a distro's website...

FuturePilot
August 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I like the reasoning. It makes a lot of sense. I like the Human theme. And I like that Ubuntu decided to be different and not follow everyone else with the blue:)

likemindead
August 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I like the default Human theme. When it comes to my computers, I'm all about functionality and performance over appearance. Eyecandy is fun, I suppose, but it's not of any real importance to me when computing, especially if it hogs any resources. I tend to lean towards minimalist aesthetics.

jrusso2
August 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I guess I am not Human enough, its the first thing I get rid of, is the color when I install.

I guess I am not human enough to like that ugly theme.

sw1995
August 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Dude. Maiden. Totally.

Npl
August 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM
warm & brown, sounds like **** and looks the same.
I ran a couple of weeks with the default theme and I couldnt befriend myself with it. its now blue, even if that means Im one of the clueless masses that dont care for any stretched philosophical reasoning why something has to look like **** :confused:

No offense to those that like the theme (on a purely visual base), but I found it to be one of worse designs I seen. But atleast the icons are nice :)

Epilonsama
August 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
i suppose theres nothing more human than s*ht. :lolflag:

Darkhack
August 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I didn't like it at first, but I could live with it. I try to change my desktop theme once a month. I think I'll go back to the default Humanity theme for October since that is when new versions are released and also October just seems like a very brownish month with pumpkins and leaves changing colors and all that good stuff.