PDA

View Full Version : I nearly drowned.

chrispche
August 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I was swimming at Margate in South Coast KZN, South Africa. A rip tide pulled me out. I tried to swim to shore but was running out of breath. So I thought to myself, I had better tread water and wave my arms around.

Two life guards came to my rescue and the trouble was they couldn't get out of the current. So they signaled for a boat to come and fetch us. Never been so far from the shore and so close to death.

I kind of look at life a little differently now not worrying about the silly things. Although I don't know how long that will last. I thought I would have given up smoking after something like that. Still struggling. I have been given a second chance by someone so I better start getting healthy.

DjBones
August 17th, 2007, 07:21 AM
goodness

i guess as helpful as linux is it doesn't make you any better at swimming haha... glad your still with us!

jrusso2
August 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I was swimming at Margate in South Coast KZN, South Africa. A rip tide pulled me out. I tried to swim to shore but was running out of breath. So I thought to myself, I had better tread water and wave my arms around.

Two life guards came to my rescue and the trouble was they couldn't get out of the current. So they signaled for a boat to come and fetch us. Never been so far from the shore and so close to death.

I kind of look at life a little differently now not worrying about the silly things. Although I don't know how long that will last. I thought I would have given up smoking after something like that. Still struggling. I have been given a second chance by someone so I better start getting healthy.

rip tides are usually narrow so instead of trying to swim in first try to swim parallel to the shore until you swim out of the rip tide then swim in.

BOBSONATOR
August 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM
goodness

i guess as helpful as linux is it doesn't make you any better at swimming haha... glad your still with us!

+1

What an experience.

heimo
August 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM
goodness

i guess as helpful as linux is it doesn't make you any better at swimming haha...

No it doesn't, but Linux can keep you away from dangerous activities like going outside. One should always have wired connection for situations like that.

Enough joking... Unfortunately I happen to know how it feels like to be inches from death, and I too had the life changing feeling after my experiences. It still affects me (even after several years), and I've seen other people who have changed after near-death experience.

Happy to hear that, chrispche, you're here to tell the scary story and it ends well.