PDA

View Full Version : Converted to Ubuntu

tyggna1
August 17th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I joined the forum site about a month or two ago. I fell in love with Ubuntu right from the first time I used the live CD. I've always been a tech geek, and had tried to make the jump to Mandriva linux (back when it was still called mandrake) but to no avail.

I'm making this post to share a success story, and invite others to do the same.

My failures:
I knew just about everything there is to know about windows--seriously--and I have the certification to prove it. My first failure was comparing the two of them. Windows has its advantages, and some major setbacks that I could never overcome--despite my proficiency with a soldering gun.
After I installed and updated Ubuntu, I thought, "Okay, what drivers am I going to need to update?" That was my first mistake. Ubuntu couldn't recognize my wireless card, and I tried using Ndiswrapper, only to find that my card wasn't supported in it, and that it was based on an old set of Orinoco drivers. I tried to "install drivers" only to corrupt and bust my kernel. I probably punched in my command wrong, and it was probably a simple fix, but my first account on the forum site wouldn't let me make any posts. I wanted to ask questions, as I knew someone would have answers, but that just wasn't possible--despite several pleas to the forum admin.
Not knowing very well how Linux works, and figuring that it wasn't much of a big deal, I reinstalled Ubuntu on my computer. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I learned from that experience that what I thought were "drivers" were really just lines of code in the kernel could utilize. I didn't let that setback get to me.

My success:
I didn't give up. I wanted to learn, and I was willing to learn. Therein was my biggest success with Ubuntu. I learned how to add repositories, including non-public repositories. I learned a few things about converting source code into a program (though I still have a long way to go). I spent $20 to get a new Mini-PCI Wireless card that was listed on a compatibility site for Ubuntu. I still haven't gotten it to work--but I'm about to reinstall my kernel for the first time, and I suspect that will give me the success I'm looking for.
By this time I was hooked. I was an addict to the intuitive interface. I was completely hooked on the enormous amounts of free quality software. I almost cried with joy when I looked at the add/remove list after I had added two repositories. I was willing to spend money to feed my habit--but completely ecstatic that I really didn't have to. At this point, I decided to move from being a simple addict to being a dealer.
I carry a burned copy of Feisty Fawn everywhere I go, now. I've passed out more than 10 copies, and my wife (who has virtually no tech-experience) uses Feisty and loves it. I know very little about Linux still, but that will change with time and usage. I know enough to do what I need to do.
I prefer Ubuntu over Windows now--even though I can make windows sing and dance at the press of a button. I'm seriously considering the CompTIA Linux+ exam--after a few years more experience. If I would've known that such a high quality operating system was out there--I would've made the switch years ago. Now that I have--I have been able to make my computer do things I never would've dreamed of doing in *******, thanks to the wonderful users of the Ubuntu forum site.

Because of Ubuntu--my computer does what I want it to, and does it well. I am a true convert--and now dyed in the wool. I don't ever want to go back. I want to push software developers to compile and sell a Debian based Linux distribution of their games. I want to learn more about WINE, and see if there's anything I can do to increase the number of programs that it's compatible with. I want to help people if I can, and I want to learn and take correction when I need it. I would dare go as far to say that I am a better person because of Ubuntu Linux--and I feel like spreading the word.

I look forward to many years of learning and using Ubuntu--and keep hoping that one day I'll be able to give back some of what the Ubuntu community has given to me.

Please, if you have any similar stories/feelings or comments, add them to this thread. I'd like to know that I'm not alone in this.

ThinkBuntu
August 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I use this laptop for everything under the sun. Music...Office...Internet...but more than anything, I use it for web development - mostly HTML and CSS, along with some PHP and JavaScript.

I've been from distro to distro, but for the moment, Ubuntu is a nice balance for me. I have my Mac as a backup and for emergency compatibility issues, and in a pinch I can get a lot done quickly in Dreamweaver, etc.

dougfractal
August 17th, 2007, 12:47 AM
If your compiling kernels already
try "Gentoo" its bleeding edgy tecky heaven or Sabayon Linux a gentoo derivative.

ThinkBuntu
August 17th, 2007, 01:02 AM
If your compiling kernels already
try "Gentoo" its bleeding edgy tecky heaven or Sabayon Linux a gentoo derivative.
I doubt that using Ubuntu's holding him back. With a bit of effort, I bet you could turn Ubuntu into Debian Sid or even Lenny, if that makes the system more customizable. After a foray into Portage via Sabayon for a weeks, I've determined that administering a Gentoo system is strictly for masochists, geeks with chips on their shoulders, and those who need a certain kind of system that Arch can't give them... (I would say Slackware, but Gentoo has package management).

Matthew Wiebelhaus
August 17th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I use it for my homework i dont now whats keeping me from going back to windows but i just cant for some reason.............

tyggna1
August 22nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
it's the addiction, man, the addiction!

I think I feel my hands shaking nervously now whenever I boot into windows--I got to have my daily ubuntu fix!

vishzilla
August 22nd, 2007, 04:58 AM
well, linux on the whole gives me better internet speeds, windows with the antivirus, spyware scanner is really irritating ](*,)

Dropbear
August 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
well, linux on the whole gives me better internet speeds, windows with the antivirus, spyware scanner is really irritating ](*,)
I find that too. Linux seems to be able to squeeze a bit more speed out of my adsl connection.

zeDuffMan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I find that too. Linux seems to be able to squeeze a bit more speed out of my adsl connection.

Same here, but it's not the odd few kB. My connection is 350kBps faster on Ubuntu, even though I never ran any security software on Windows.

rharriso
August 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
I mostly use mine for software development education. Getting the GNU compilers to work on Ubuntu is way easier than Windows, and If I forgot to install a package Feisty tells me exactly how to get it, its awesome

aquavitae
August 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I doubt that using Ubuntu's holding him back. With a bit of effort, I bet you could turn Ubuntu into Debian Sid or even Lenny, if that makes the system more customizable. After a foray into Portage via Sabayon for a weeks, I've determined that administering a Gentoo system is strictly for masochists, geeks with chips on their shoulders, and those who need a certain kind of system that Arch can't give them... (I would say Slackware, but Gentoo has package management).
I used gentoo for about a year or so, and while I'm sure its possible to completely transform ubuntu, its not as easy to do so as with gentoo. There's nothing difficult about administering a gentoo system if you know what you're doing, and that means learning what makes linux tick. If you don't want to learn that, stick with an easier system like ubuntu, but if you do want to, using gentoo (or better still, LFS) will force you.

tyggna1
August 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Well, I'm still getting used to Linux as a whole--as I am a ******* convert. Ubuntu is pretty easy, and I'm getting comfortable in it. I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

Everyone says that you should find your own "flavor" of linux--and I like the way Ubuntu tastes right now.

Of course, I'm open to suggestions. What I really want from a linux is:
Repositories -gotta have 'em
GUI - I like the CLI, but having the monkey-see-monkey-do option open helps
Compact - I got a small hard-drive (28gigs) and no money to upgrade
Educational - will give me an arena to better learn Linux, and to learn a lot more
Easy to setup - I just don't want to spend a lot of time here. I don't mind if not everything works out of the box, but most things should.
Programming - I putter around typing code from time to time, and this is a bonus.
Web - While I feel that Linux, as a whole, does this better than *******, browsing capability and the ability to configure my wireless card (based on Orinoco drivers) is essential to me.

Ubuntu does this and does it well, but are there any other distributions that could satisfy that criteria?

tyggna1
August 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM
can I get this moved to testimonials?