PDA

View Full Version : Excitement about Gutsy

conphara
August 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I'd like to read people's comments on how excited they are about the upcoming release of Gutsy.
My general feeling is that people were more excited about Feisty than Gutsy. Is that true in any way, or?

Myself personally: Well, I am VERY excited about Gutsy. I'll love to see what the new kernel can do to my laptop's battery life (laptop mode/detect/Intel's powertop) and the performance of Gnome 2.20.
I really like to mess around with Business Intelligence in the new OpenOffice 2.3. Xorg's 7.3 with autodetection of monitors. The new intel i810 driver for my laptop. And lastly the Ubuntu developers' adds to a better userinterface and ofcourse Compiz Fusion by default.

In short: I CAN'T wait.
So, I'm a lot more excited about Gutsy than Feisty.:popcorn:

What about you???

tseliot
August 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm moving this thread to the Cafe since it's not a request for support

GFree678
August 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I am, just like I was in the leadup to Feisty.

Moreso than Feisty? Not yet, the release date isn't close enough. :)

synthaxx
August 16th, 2007, 02:07 PM
When they finally shoehorn Xorg 7.3 in so i can finally (hopefully) configure my displays with ease, i'll get so excited i'll pass out.*

* Any promises made here are not redeemable, and do not reflect the meaning, reality, or promises of myself or anyone.

Polygon
August 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM
the FINALLY fixed the problem where keyboard volume controls change teh volume of the wrong channel. they FINALLY made it so i can choose which channel to control with my keyboard volume buttons..... i have been waiting for them to fix it since breezy!

RomeReactor
August 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I actually am more excited about Gutsy than I was with Feisty: Xorg 7.3, DisplayConfig-GTK, Bullet-Proof-X, Friendly-Recovery, and a better Network Manager, among a lot of other improvements (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy). I think they're even implementing the relatime patch (http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148) in Gutsy, so we'll get faster systems.

All that, plus a whole new wallpaper! What's not to like? :biggrin:

Bungo Pony
August 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I was really excited about Feisty since I was waiting for Ubuntu to catch up with the hardware support for my new PC. Edgy didn't run very well on my new PC. Everything's working nicely with Feisty. If anything, Gutsy will be more like an update to make things even nicer.

I'm looking forward to the next LTS version. I'll probably end up staying with that instead of upgrading every six months, unless something *really* cool happens. ;)

reacocard
August 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I agree there's a lot of exciting stuff in gutsy. I think the reason excitement seems (is?) so low is because a lot of it is behind-the-scenes work.

Nexus...
August 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I unfortunatly started using LInux around the time when Dell started introducing it on their production line, since then I have seen massive changes I am looking forward to the new release of Gutsy, and among all the other changes did I read it rightly....will my on keyboard volume controls finaly work? :O

ThinkBuntu
August 16th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'm more concerned about the upgrade breaking my system in some way than anything else. But upgrade to Feisty went fairly smoothly, although my network stopped working at the time.

There are times when I wish Ubuntu were a rolling release, but I can't complain about something that's free and useful.

goumples
August 16th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I bet Ubuntu's servers are gonna be slammed on Gusty's release day :lolflag:

Yes some of the new improvements if they go over well, are gonna be sweet.

SQuark
August 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM
A bit off topic, but:

The new intel i810 driver for my laptop.

have you tried using the intel driver instead? Just install xserver-xorg-video-intel (it will probably ask to remove ubuntu-desktop) and edit your xorg.conf. It worked wonders for me!

Now on topic: I'm very much so looking forward to Xubuntu Gutsy!

blithen
August 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Like all of you, I am extremely excited for gutsy. I just got into linux about 2 month ago with Fiesty, and already most of my (small) problems with ubuntu are going to be fix, and even exceeded. I CAN'T wait!!!

Lord Illidan
August 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Interested? Hell I am..

about Xorg, better wifi, I hope, and definitely powermanagement, as I hope to get a lappy this winter.

cobrn1
August 17th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I'm quite looking forward to gutsy... I was *really* looking forward to it, but now I've upgraded the pc, I no longer need a non-standard driver (the newer kernel includes one) so it's less of a jump than it would have been.

Also, it looks like gutsy might not have compiz by default afterall, due to technical difficulties that may not be resolvable in time...

OTOH, gutsy will include some very nice features, like the newer Xorg, newer kernel (always a treat) and various other things...

I'm *really* looking forward to gutsy+1 though. That'll hopefully have all the features that were missed out this time. Also there are few things I really hope they add, ie, option for HD encryption when installing, option in the live CD to backup MBR, fix MBR, and the option to boot into a commandline would be nice. A fix installation option would also be nice (like MEPIS). Basically, there are a number of nifty features that the other distros have that'd be really nice to collect together and put into gutsy+1 - It'd really complete it and make it feel worthy of being the 2nd LTS release.

riven0
August 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I was really excited about Feisty because I felt Edgy needed a lot of improvements. But now that Feisty more than passed my expectations, I'm feeling pretty calm about Gutsy. I'm perfectly happy sticking with Feisty if Gutsy turns out to be a disappointment.

Dimitriid
August 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I bet Ubuntu's servers are gonna be slammed on Gusty's release day :lolflag:

Yes some of the new improvements if they go over well, are gonna be sweet.

Its better to use torrent in this instance. After its properly seeded ( shouldn't take too long ) its actually better to have high traffic.

lyceum
August 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I hate to say this, but I think 7.04 seemed to have more hype because 6.10 was not as "edgy" was some thought it should be. Don't get me wrong, I loved 6.10, it was a step up from 6.06, but 7.04 blew both of them out of the water. 7.10, will it be all that? I think so. I really thought "what more can they do, just update?" but I really think that 7.10 is going to be awesome, and I cannot wait. The Compiz Fusion and the things they are doing to the Theme program look just fantastic! I really think that 7.10 will push Ubuntu out there even more and really help sell the OS. Not to dis other distros, Ubuntu is willing to do what it takes to meet the needs of its users. It is not willing to sell out to MS. I really think that in a few years time Ubuntu will be the new Mac, Canonical the new Apple.

:guitar:

stijngysemans
August 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
This still are some issues that will not be addressed (as far as I know of) in gutsy: an improved ubuntu-migration-wizard and others.

I do like the integration with tracker though.

Hopefully gutsy+1 can benefit more from this integration than just "a search tool". We must maximize our profit of using tracker: adjusting f-spot and ryhthmbox to automatically scan your pictures and music for instance!

mgmiller
August 18th, 2007, 12:11 AM
they FINALLY made it so i can choose which channel to control with my keyboard volume buttons..... i have been waiting for them to fix it since breezy!

A couple of people mentioned this. I also had my keyboard volume controls suddenly start trying to control the wrong channel. It's easy to fix. Go to System > Preferences > Sound and on the Devices tab, look at the bottom under the Default Mixer Tracks and Device. There will be a list of tracks. Under it, it says " Select the device and tracks to control with the keyboard..." Mine had somehow changed to the surround track for my keyboard control. Just high lite the Master and your keyboard controls should work again.

Hex_Mandos
August 18th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I'll probably just install the Beta, and upgrade from there. I think there are TONS of cool stuff in Gutsy (new -and bulletproof- Xorg, Compiz Fusion and a usable Gnash player by default, fast user switching). But maybe we should start raising some hype... I'll probably add a Javascript countdown to my blog.

Teh Dust
August 18th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I'm calmly waiting for Gutsy. Feisty was jam packed with so many new features that I wanted, such as the restricted drive manager and easy codec installation that I couldn't wait for the release. Gutsy makes those features better and adds even more but at the moment, I would be just fine staying with Feisty.

Am I excited for Gutsy? A bit.
Will I wait all night for the release as I did with Feisty? No.

phrostbyte
August 18th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Gutsy has improved mouse cursor animations. It's very pretty.

picpak
August 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I hate to say it, but this is the least excited I've been about a new release. Configuring Xorg through a GUI is something I did in SuSE almost three years ago. I can't say I've seen any much-hyped features that I'm really interested in. I'll still upgrade though.

sdowney717
August 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/composite-by-default

composite by default when available looks good, hope it makes it.

kesomir
August 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Playing with the alpha releases of gutsy, it looks like a nice set of improvements for the home user.

I'm more eagerly anticipating the LTS release where hopefully some "enterprise" improvements will be made / isssues fixed.

<cough>no removable usb storage for ldap users bug & no easy ldap setup</cough>

That and some easy to deploy SMB / School (non ltsp) servers which are in the blueprints -> dang openldap is a PITA to setup ;)

g2g591
August 18th, 2007, 11:33 PM
So far I like the alpha, but so far for Kubuntu at least, it just seems kinda bland

picpak
August 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Composite by Default has a higher priority than bullet proof X?

Something's not right here.

likemindead
August 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I'm always excited!

LOL :) :mad: :confused: :guitar: :KS :popcorn:

reacocard
August 19th, 2007, 02:28 AM

It may not, there's a lengthy discussion about it on ubuntu-devel right now. The current consensus seems to be leaning away from having composite by default, but it will at least as easy (if not more) to enable composite as it was in feisty.