PDA

View Full Version : Faster Boot Times Challenge

Corey
July 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
spotted this on OSNews: http://www.improvedsource.com/content/view/14/2/ Great Idea I think. Hopefully some Ubunteros will participate! Imporoved boot times is something that we could all benefit from.

super
July 28th, 2005, 08:03 PM
hey, this is an excellent idea. :grin:

before ubuntu i was using fedora core and there was a way to start the X server relatively early in the boot process and have the other services boot in the background. that way it would appear as if you system started almost instantly because you arrived at the GDM screen so quickly.

i had just been thinking about checking around to see how this could be done in ubuntu/debian.

so, any ideas from the ubuntu gurus? :wink:

Ride Jib
July 29th, 2005, 03:57 AM
I almost didn't give linux a shot because of how long it took to boot compared to windows. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and a long boot time is not the way to go!

bored2k
July 29th, 2005, 04:03 AM
I almost didn't give linux a shot because of how long it took to boot compared to windows. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and a long boot time is not the way to go!
My other OS boots faster, but once loaded, all the time it takes my to check in with my antivirus, anti-spyware tools and occasional hiccups/freezes makes my Ubuntu's waiting time sweet and little.

Ride Jib
July 29th, 2005, 04:07 AM
My other OS boots faster, but once loaded, all the time it takes my to check in with my antivirus, anti-spyware tools and occasional hiccups/freezes makes my Ubuntu's waiting time sweet and little.

Yes, I completely agree, which is why I have converted everything I own to linux. I was just saying, boot time struck me as rediculous after all the stories of how "great" linux is.

Also, while on the topic... is there some sort of GUI to manage services in Ubuntu? I don't know my way around well enough, and would like to disable a bunch of stuff on startup

darkoptix
July 29th, 2005, 04:57 AM
I am not a fan of windows... but It starts the fastest out of everything I have tried... a 10 sec boot owns... Just don't run the BS programs like anti virus, spyware thingy, firewall... It's all useless... faster to reformat.

bored2k
July 29th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Also, while on the topic... is there some sort of GUI to manage services in Ubuntu? I don't know my way around well enough, and would like to disable a bunch of stuff on startup
Boot up manager. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=75

poofyhairguy
July 29th, 2005, 05:08 AM
hey, this is an excellent idea. :grin:

before ubuntu i was using fedora core and there was a way to start the X server relatively early in the boot process and have the other services boot in the background. that way it would appear as if you system started almost instantly because you arrived at the GDM screen so quickly.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The fact that when I see my desktop that really means I have at least a minute before I can do anything with it is one of my least favorite thing about Windows.

If you want it though, its all libre software so go ahead.

bored2k
July 29th, 2005, 05:11 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The fact that when I see my desktop that really means I have at least a minute before I can do anything with it is one of my least favorite thing about Windows.

If you want it though, its all libre software so go ahead.
[off-topic]LOL that sounded just like Darth Vader's incredibly cheesy "Noö" in Episode III. On the other hand I agree, it totally get's me bubbly having to SIT and WAIT after I login to get it functional. I like the way things are now, a not as fast boot up, but hey, when I SIT and LOG-IN, it's all love :D.

sapo
July 29th, 2005, 06:31 AM
[off-topic]LOL that sounded just like Darth Vader's incredibly cheesy "Noö" in Episode III. On the other hand I agree, it totally get's me bubbly having to SIT and WAIT after I login to get it functional. I like the way things are now, a not as fast boot up, but hey, when I SIT and LOG-IN, it's all love :D.

i boot my pc once a month.. so why do it have to be fast?

btw.. i hated to play Nintendo 64 (i had a playstation) cause the loading time i used to eat, drink some coke... etc.. and without the loading i had to pause the game to eat a biscuit ](*,)

GeneralZod
July 29th, 2005, 09:17 AM
i boot my pc once a month.. so why do it have to be fast?

For you, it doesn't. For people will laptops, it does.

angkor
July 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I am not a fan of windows... but It starts the fastest out of everything I have tried... a 10 sec boot owns... Just don't run the BS programs like anti virus, spyware thingy, firewall... It's all useless... faster to reformat.

You have a 10 seconds boot on XP? Wo, cool I've only seen that on W98 on a totally clean install.

The boot-time in Ubuntu is fine with me, if I'd have a laptop I would definately compile my own kernel and boot into the console...then I would manage to have a 10 sec boot as well.

Kitty
July 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM
You have a 10 seconds boot on XP? Wo, cool I've only seen that on W98 on a totally clean install.

The boot-time in Ubuntu is fine with me, if I'd have a laptop I would definately compile my own kernel and boot into the console...then I would manage to have a 10 sec boot as well.
Com'on! Some people have laptops and do want to use them as "real" desktop. And some people do shutdown their computer (to sleep, not to waste energy...)
Fast boot is something we need as modern desktop. And that's what my friends see at first when I show them it's possible to use "something different than XP".

If you do not feel concern by this, if you never stop your computer, if you manage to log into the console, it's ok for me, but do not underestimate the general need for faster boot. I feel concerned, and I really really hope there will be progress in this area.

binary-boy
July 29th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Hmmmm.... think I'm gonna try disabling some startup tasks tonight!!

super
July 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
My boot time is 53 secs from 'Booting Ubuntu kernel xx.xx.xx' to GDM drum roll on my overclocked AMD 2400

the biggest chunk of time is spent on the hotplug subsystem. (about 15 secs) if i could could that down it would be booting even faster than XP. :grin:

AgenT
July 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM
A big reason why the PC (compared to MAC) seems to load forever is due to the bios (and this includes more than just the bios screen boot). Google around and you will notice open source bios' that fix this problem (of course, big companies don't like this because they like to lock you into their bios).

And that 10sec bootup is probably way over exaggerated. Don't think that it's even possible because of the bios itself needs like 5sec or so to finish booting. Maybe he has a goofy way of counting boot time (like from XP logo to when he sees desktop). Real boot time should be counted from the second you press the power on button the when your desktop is usable. Yes, usable. Because Windows is *not* usable when you first login. OS boot time should be counted from AFTER bios loads to usable desktop. Also notice that on Linux you have to actually login while on Windows you don't.

poofyhairguy
July 29th, 2005, 05:22 PM
For you, it doesn't. For people will laptops, it does.

I'd rather spend time getting ACPI to work then.

UbuWu
July 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
And that 10sec bootup is probably way over exaggerated. Don't think that it's even possible because of the bios itself needs like 5sec or so to finish booting.

My bios takes less than 2 seconds :grin: Actually it may be even shorter, as as soon as my monitor displays something on the screen, it is already in the grub menu. (I had a lot of trouble finding out how to get into the bios menu :) )