PDA

View Full Version : Faster internet peformance. Linux or MS?

lancest
August 16th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I have noticed many times in the past that Linux and Firefox load web pages much quicker than Windows. On various hardware too. My wife still uses XP and I was reminded of this yesterday. XP was much slower. Anybody else notice this?

ry4n
August 16th, 2007, 01:16 AM
As far as i know it is pretty well known that Linux in general runs faster than Windows. I think the reason for this is that it is not a hardware demanding as windows.

LookTJ
August 16th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Could have made a poll. Hopefully the staff will do so.

I will say Linux.

If you post this on MS forums, people on there would say Windows.

juxtaposed
August 16th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I've noticed no difference at all in loading time of pages.

Mazza558
August 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM

Same here. Though Ubuntu handles my wireless card on my laptop better than Windows, I get 6x the download speed on Ubuntu.

jdrodrig
August 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I get faster initial connection to my router under Linux.....but in terms of everyday page loading I cannot help but thinking all the AntiVirus, Firewalls and other filters in MS hurt performance....

Having said that...I still like MS fonts better...and for continue on-the-screen reading that matters a lot to me...

Cochise
August 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM

neither have i but when downloading via bittorrent or with wget i can see its much faster in linux

lancest
August 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
"If you post this on MS forums, people on there would say Windows."
Funny thing is 90% of those people have never tried Linux! Most of us Linux users have used Windows though and we are better able to make comparisons. I have tried various Linux's since 1997 and have mostly always found them faster performing on internet. Above comments make sense also.

angryfirelord
August 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I think the issue is not if Linux is generally better than Windows, but how much crap is using the internet on Windows. I've cut down on some services and now my torrents run at the same speed on Ubuntu.

SunnyRabbiera
August 16th, 2007, 01:47 AM
to be truthful it really depends on the situation.
I have seen windows being lightning fast sometimes, even with IE's problems.
but linux can top it easily in some cases I have seen

Compucore
August 16th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I did a quick comparison on one computer with a windows hard drive and a linux drive. (Basically my laptop where I can switch the hard drive out. Its all the same hardware. 1 gig ram, ATI 16 meg video card, 10/100 cat 5 and a wireless b connection. And a 20 gig and a 20 gig. Where windows is on the 20 gig amd linux on the 30 gig drive. I find that linux loads the pages under firefox better than windows. But thats my personal preference.

Compucore

JAPrufrock
August 16th, 2007, 02:18 AM
When I had an ISDN connection Ubuntu was a whole lot faster, and it always connected, probably because I could configure /ppp/options. Now that I have ADSL I'm not sure which is faster because I avoid using Windows like it was the plague.

thisllub
August 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Go to microsoft's home page in IE6 and Firefox under XP.

Firefox loads the page about 4 times faster.

gumjo
August 16th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I didn't notice that much of the difference in page loading times, one thing is for sure the firefox interface is much more responsive on Windows.

laxmanb
August 16th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Not really. Plus, firefox feels slower than IE7 and momentarily hangs while loading some pages.

slimdog360
August 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Mac (except when firefox freezes up every now and again)

original_jamingrit
August 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I much prefer surfing the Internet of Linux, but I do sometimeshave to wrestle with the gnome-network-manager when trying to connect/disconnect from wireless.

Arwen
August 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Generally I've noticed firefox or opera loads faster than IE,too.What astonished me is that when I download a big file, iso or a program,I still can browse using firefox without any significant loss of speed.On the other hand when I do the same thing in XP,it's like connection freezes.

MellonCollie
August 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I see no difference in terms of speed.

tigerpants
August 16th, 2007, 12:43 PM
There are known and acknowledged internet speed problems between XP Pro and Home editions. I used to have Home on one machine and Pro on another and the difference was very very noticeable. Home ran like a dog with no legs.

The fastest internet rendering I have ever experienced was with BSD. It rendered and loaded pages in milliseconds. Nothing I've used since has been able to replicate those speeds. Slackware is the next fastest in my experience. But I guess its down to connection and hardware really.

regomodo
August 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM

same

Frak
August 16th, 2007, 04:00 PM
No difference.

Tom Mann
August 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Not quite internet performance, but setting my wireless dongle up as a permanent connection to my router has increased the speed of my connection by a whole magnitude on my Ubuntu box, which was a little quicker than Windows in the first place.

finalzero
January 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Interesting topic.

I have noticed substantial speed gains under Linux compared to a Windows environment (XP and Vista Ultimate).

My hardware is setup as follows:

Hardware Router + Modem (Vigor 2600+)
LAN connection for the main computers to the router/modem
2 Laptops have wireless connection to the router/modem

ADSL Speed: 8mbit (tested @ 7600 download, 286 upload using www.speedtest.net)

In Windows I average around 650kbs download speeds and rarely see higher speeds however in Linux (Ubuntu or Debian.. currently running Debian 4) I have noticed speeds averaging 815kbs - the max speed for my current setup.

This is a consistent speed under Linux and to me proves there is a massive overhead in Windows, namely the networking architecture is flawed or a large chunk of our bandwidth is being used for other purposes.

Microsoft argue the overhead is from error corrections etc but I think this is a load of bull as Linux employs the same IP4 standard and has no problems transferring files between PC's or receiving files from the tinterweb.

For large downloads I now use Linux simply because the speed is faster and I get a more consistent connection i.e it won't tail off and suddenly stall.

Lostincyberspace
January 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I get a 2-3 Mbyte speed increase in Linux versus windows. from speedtest.net.

swoll1980
January 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
It's firefox not linux when I use firefox on windows it load pages much faster than IE7 I think it's the Phishing filter that slows the IE7 down

Sam
January 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I've read somewhere that the TCP stack in Linux was more efficient than in Windows.

insane_alien
January 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM
they are equal when i'm not running all sorts of antivirus stuff on windows and flashy eyecandy on linux. but even with these eneabled the difference is only a few milliseconds.

Lostincyberspace
January 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
It's firefox not linux when I use firefox on windows it load pages much faster than IE7 I think it's the Phishing filter that slows the IE7 down
I ran it through Firefox in both multiple times.

Polygon
January 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
from speedtest ive noticed MUCH faster speeds in linux.

but in both windows and ubuntu i can max out my dl speed (900 kb/s) so i guess it doesnt matter

Lostincyberspace
January 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
from speedtest ive noticed MUCH faster speeds in linux.

but in both linux and ubuntu i can max out my dl speed (900 kb/s) so i guess it doesnt matter
Ubuntu is linux.

Cavalryman
January 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
My experience has been that Firefox running in Windows is fastest by a very narrow margin, followed by Firefox running in Ubuntu, then Internet Explorer in Windows. The difference is not enough to make me want to run Windows, so my Internet surfing is almost exclusively Firefox in Ubuntu.

Ultra Magnus
January 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM

+1 - honestly can't tell the difference - I think there is probably a greater difference on the same platform depending on what applications you use than there is between ms and linux. For one thing I have noticed that downloading with wget is significantly faster than downloading with firefox but the same is also true with the windows version of wget.

qazwsx
January 8th, 2008, 09:34 PM
My sister says that Linux is much quicker loading web pages (Firefox). I haven't noticed it.

Download rate is equal.

swoll1980
January 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
they are equal when i'm not running all sorts of antivirus stuff on windows and flashy eyecandy on linux. but even with these eneabled the difference is only a few milliseconds.

The difference on my pc is very noticeable I'm talking like 2-3 times faster

lancest
January 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Recently In an internet bar we set up several Linux desktops and found them to be much faster accessing the internet than on nearby Windows machines. (Also my friend tells me Linux can access many multiple same provider email accounts concurrently. And Windows can't) Haven't tested that though.

Polygon
January 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Ubuntu is linux.

i meant ubuntu and windows.

jrusso2
January 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Overall Linux is lighter on resources and therefore faster then Vista or XP.

Thats what makes it appear to be faster in loading pages.

If you have a lighter version of Windows on the same machine like W98SE or even Windows 2000 it would appear just as fast.

b0ng0
January 8th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Generally faster in Vista for me. Plus firefox loads faster as well :p

eljoeb
January 8th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I've noticed very little difference in web site load times. However, my pings in games (Enemy Territory, Warsow, and Quake 4) are substantially worse in Linux. My guess is that this can be fixed (I've heard of compiling a low latency kernel with something called preemption... not sure how though) but out of the box, I choose Windows for my online gaming.

inversekinetix
January 9th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I noticed no difference at all between platforms, only between applications. I've yet to find anything that maxes out my connection, with well seeded torrents the connected clients get maxed out well before my connection does.

Flying caveman
January 9th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I can't tell the difference myself, but when I got my brother to use Ubuntu, he said that he thought it was way faster:grin:

jespdj
January 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
On my computers, there is no difference in Internet download speed between Windows Vista, XP and Ubuntu 7.10. My Internet connection is 6 Mbit/s (download), so the max. theoretical download speed is 768 KB/s. When downloading large files, I get up to around 700 KB/s in practice on both Windows and Ubuntu.

I think it is meaningless to answer the question "Faster internet peformance. Linux or MS?" in general. The differences are most likely much more determined by the hardware (network card or modem) and drivers that you use. One particular card might have good Windows drivers and crappy Linux drivers, or the other way around. You can't say in general that for any kind of hardware either OS has faster Internet performance than the other.

Lster
January 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I have noticed no real difference except for when initializing my network connection, in that case Linux is a bit faster than Vista - I think. ;)