PDA

View Full Version : Please help protect our children and Families

stalker145
August 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division (DMRD) (http://www.dhmo.org/)

Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

* Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
* Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
* Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
* DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
* Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
* Contributes to soil erosion.
* Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
* Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
* Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
* Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
* Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
* Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
* Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

And this is only the beginning of this worldwide conspiracy. Please browse the site and do what you can.

dasunst3r
August 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Put it this way: Too much of anything (or the incorrect application of anything) is bad for you. :) I've seen this before... it's pretty funny.

nichipet
August 15th, 2007, 10:20 PM
:)

phrostbyte
August 15th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Lets pray and hope Congress bans this vicious chemical that kills hundreds of American children per year.

Just say NO to DHMO.

Everyone with me!

Just say NO to DHMO.

Just say NO to DHMO.

Just say NO to DHMO.

Just say NO to DHMO.

Just say NO to DHMO.

popch
August 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Surely it is less dangerous if taken in less concentrated form, say, when diluted with water?

jgrabham
August 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Can somebody please tell me what this thing is in/around?

WishingWell
August 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division (DMRD) (http://www.dhmo.org/)

And this is only the beginning of this worldwide conspiracy. Please browse the site and do what you can.

Actually, excessive ingestion of H2O is known to cause water poisoning which is typically life threatening. It does that by diluting the electrolytes the body needs for a whole lot of systems.

Not many know this but sodium transport is required to live, if you're too low on sodium you will die. The sodium pump also works as an promoter of transportation of other things, like creatine, some of you recognize creatine as a supplement, it's used by the body to facilitate quick contractions of the muscles, without it your heart will not beat.

I do get your comedy though, but water poisoning is real.

WishingWell
August 15th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Can somebody please tell me what this thing is in/around?

You're kidding? DiHydrogen is H2 and oxide is O so this is H2O, recognize that? It's water you numbnut.

cobrn1
August 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM
You're kidding? DiHydrogen is H2 and oxide is O so this is H2O, recognize that? It's water you numbnut.

Yeh - I think he was kidding... and there's no reason to be so rude.

Actually, excessive ingestion of H2O is known to cause water poisoning which is typically life threatening. It does that by diluting the electrolytes the body needs for a whole lot of systems.

Not many know this but sodium transport is required to live, if you're too low on sodium you will die. The sodium pump also works as an promoter of transportation of other things, like creatine, some of you recognize creatine as a supplement, it's used by the body to facilitate quick contractions of the muscles, without it your heart will not beat.

I do get your comedy though, but water poisoning is real.

Actually, I think most people do know this, given that there's a daily recommended salt intake...

And yes, water poisoning is real, but it's nearly impossible to actually do - you'd need to drink (or IV overdose on pure water - rare given that you normally give saline, but there are situations where you wouldn't give saline, and so lowered electrolyte levels are possible) an absurde amount of water for this to happen - you wouldn't be thirsty anymore, you'd be puking up water - you'd really have to be forcing litres of the stuff down your throat (the alternative is that some drugs,ie, ecstasy, can cause you to overdrink...

But the fact that it is real, but stupidly rare/absurd makes it all the funnier... thats *part* of the joke...

stalker145
August 16th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Re: Water poisoning/overdose/lowed sodium

Yes, it is all very possible. I had a fellow recruit in Marine boot camp go down because we were being forced to down canteen after canteen of water - he lived. There was also a woman recently (don't know where - read about it) on a radio contest who died some hours after a water drinking contest. No dispute on the lethality of overdose.

Anyone know offhand how many cc's of dihydrogen oxide can be inhaled before death occurs?

WishingWell
August 16th, 2007, 12:50 AM

Actually, I think most people do know this, given that there's a daily recommended salt intake...

And yes, water poisoning is real, but it's nearly impossible to actually do - you'd need to drink (or IV overdose on pure water - rare given that you normally give saline, but there are situations where you wouldn't give saline, and so lowered electrolyte levels are possible) an absurde amount of water for this to happen - you wouldn't be thirsty anymore, you'd be puking up water - you'd really have to be forcing litres of the stuff down your throat (the alternative is that some drugs,ie, ecstasy, can cause you to overdrink...

But the fact that it is real, but stupidly rare/absurd makes it all the funnier... thats *part* of the joke...

First of all, it seems i got myself a stalker in you.

Most people have no idea that you can actually dilute your elecrolytes by drinking to much water, and your advice of ingesting sodium when you get water poisoning is sure to kill.

There was a kid in Helsinki a few months ago that got water poisoning from drinking six liters of water, that isn't all that much, but of course, you'd recommend him sodium and kill him for sure because you think you know so much that you really don't have a clue about.

If you ever come across someone with water poisoning, give them potassiium, not sodium.

Stop stalking me wierdo.

WishingWell
August 16th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Re: Water poisoning/overdose/lowed sodium

Yes, it is all very possible. I had a fellow recruit in Marine boot camp go down because we were being forced to down canteen after canteen of water - he lived. There was also a woman recently (don't know where - read about it) on a radio contest who died some hours after a water drinking contest. No dispute on the lethality of overdose.

Anyone know offhand how many cc's of dihydrogen oxide can be inhaled before death occurs?

That would depend on the environment, you'd cough up a lung full if it's not being re-supplied.

IOW, you can only drown by being constantly supplied with water, that is part of why the Berend method works without killing.

I salute you my brother in arms.

macogw
August 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM

A marathon winner in the UK (I think) died of water poisoning some time in the last year in a marathon where certain parts of the trail ran out of water for the contestants, causing a lot of the runners to be dehydrated.

stalker145,
the contest was "hold your wee for a wii," and she died from not peeing. if she had drank the water and peed, she probably would've been fine, but her bladder couldn't take it.

mips
August 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
stalker145,
the contest was "hold your wee for a wii," and she died from not peeing. if she had drank the water and peed, she probably would've been fine, but her bladder couldn't take it.

A full bladder won't kill you. Lots of water intake at a rapid rate will severely lower the electrolyte levels in your body, screwing up brain chemistry and ultimately causing death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

-

cobrn1
August 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
First of all, it seems i got myself a stalker in you.

Most people have no idea that you can actually dilute your elecrolytes by drinking to much water, and your advice of ingesting sodium when you get water poisoning is sure to kill.

There was a kid in Helsinki a few months ago that got water poisoning from drinking six liters of water, that isn't all that much, but of course, you'd recommend him sodium and kill him for sure because you think you know so much that you really don't have a clue about.

If you ever come across someone with water poisoning, give them potassiium, not sodium.

Stop stalking me wierdo.

I can see that we're never going to see eye to eye... that's a real shame.

Oh well:

>I did not infact say give sodium to fix water intoxication. Please don't put words in my mouth.

>I did not say that it is impossible - just rare and absurdly hard to do. It requires very odd circumstances, ie, your employer forcing water down your throat or a child deciding that it would be fun to drink the volume equivalent of 3 full-sized bottles of coke (which *is* infact alot, considering lower body mass of a child).

>I happen to know alot about what I'm talking about - I typically don't bother to air my view unless I'm sure that have fact behind them. However, you are also intitled to your opinion, so you may think what you like about me and my level of knowledge on the subject. Just don't post saying I know nothing when I do - stick to what you *know* for a fact, and we'll all be better off (incidentally, that's not just aimed at you, that's applicable to everybody). Also, I refrain from twisting other peoples words and inventing things they said - please also refrian in the future.

>Ja, I'm not stalking you - I have better things to do with my life :rolleyes:

As I said - we're not going to see eye on this (or anything for that matter, it would seem), so I'll be polite - I'll go my way and you can go yours... the less said the better.

popch
August 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM
A full bladder won't kill you.

That case got quite a bit of press coverage, and it could have been a burst bladder. That would certainly be a dangerour thing to happen.

In that case, it would have been somewhat immaterial what exactly the victim ingested too much of.

mips
August 16th, 2007, 02:11 PM
That case got quite a bit of press coverage, and it could have been a burst bladder. That would certainly be a dangerour thing to happen.

A full bladder and a burst bladder are to different things ;)

popch
August 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
A full bladder and a burst bladder are to different things ;)

Think of it as Darwinism in action.