PDA

View Full Version : steam community + wine?

Polygon
August 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Has anyone gotten steam + the steam community beta to work in wine? Every time i try to run it, it runs, but as soon as i open the community tab or the friends list, wine locks up and i have to kill it.

Any luck?

Beren Camlost
August 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
It doesn't lock up or crash for me. It just give some error about my Steam client sending a request to the server that it doesn't understand. Even if the beta uses the Firefox framework, it seems Wine doesn't translate the communication with the server properly.

Polygon
August 16th, 2007, 04:42 AM
i tried it again after the new update and it still freezes if i click teh community or friends tab.

Oh well, i guess ill just have to wait for wine to update to support it.

BigDXLT
August 16th, 2007, 05:14 AM
You can do everything (I think?) from this link:

http://steamcommunity.com/

Add friends, join groups, etc.

I get the bad object error thingee in the steam browser as well. :(

Polygon
August 16th, 2007, 06:23 AM
i tried it again and i actually managed to get the friends list open, and i got a few popups on the top left of the screen (supposed to be the bottom right) and i saw the avatars and the friends list fine, but i think if you click a different window (or program) and then try to switch back to steam, thats where it has problems and crashes for me.

nchase
September 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Has anyone had luck with this yet?

I cannot message my steam friends (bigger problem), nor can I access the Steam Community overlay in a game (smaller problem).

chuckyp
September 20th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I just deleted the .blob files in the Steam folder and restarted steam. Then disabled friends and community options.

dregin
December 5th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hey, I can now send messages to people in my friends list.

Go to - Views -> Settings -> Friends.

In the "Notifications and Sounds" section, disable all "display a notification" boxes.

Havent tried it in game but it works directly from steam at least.