PDA

View Full Version : I talk about Linux too much

Ripfox
August 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Apparently, I talk about and get excited about Linux and Linux-related topics too much. I am seeing a visible irritation from my GF these days. When I met her, I had no interest in computers beyond tweaking Windows a little and playing the occasional mmorpg. But since Ubuntu, I guess I have become too enthusiastic about it? Did this happen to anyone else? :-k

Sunflower1970
August 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM
hehehe yeah. My husband gets an earful...sometimes he looks annoyed--he doesn't get it. Around friends and family I do keep it to myself so they don't get irritated with me...

Outrunner
August 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Nope this doesn't happen to me. I never talk about GNU/Linux unless someone asks me about it. If your girlfriend gets annoyed because you talk too much about computers... well, you better get some self restraint , you don't want any arguments with her do you :-k

Sayers
August 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I'd be mad at her. If she can talk about her pointless stuff, why cant you talk about your stuff.

happysmileman
August 15th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Most of my friends get kinda annoyed...

My girlfriend seems to try to show an interest to be nice, and I appreciate it, but she probably doesn't really care that much, though she does know more about computers than most people I know anyway.

blithen
August 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
lol, I ALWAYS talk about linux.
Like my friend was whining about slow boots, and slow...well everything, my response is always.
"Well you see, linux doesn't have that problem, because linux owns. 8D"

Ripfox
August 16th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Yeah, don't get me wrong, she tries to show interest to be nice, but you can tell it bugs her that I have so much to say about it. That being said, I got her to switch to Ubuntu from XP, and she says she loves it. One thing she commented on is that her laptop always had problems shutting down cleanly before, and it hasn't happened once since Ubuntu. :guitar:

FuturePilot
August 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Haha. I talk about Linux too much too. I've even been told by some people that I have a strange obsession with Linux.:lolflag:

starcraft.man
August 16th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Apparently, I talk about and get excited about Linux and Linux-related topics too much. I am seeing a visible irritation from my GF these days. When I met her, I had no interest in computers beyond tweaking Windows a little and playing the occasional mmorpg. But since Ubuntu, I guess I have become too enthusiastic about it? Did this happen to anyone else? :-k

Nope. I talk exactly as much about tech as I did before, I just now talk about it on this forum. For me, uptaking Ubuntu was a horizontal move from Windows power user to GNU/Linux power user (still learning). I was already very techy before though...

Oh and uh, good luck with the gf. I'm still a happy bachelor, gotta say it has it's advantages often.

ry4n
August 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I talk about Gnu/Linux a hell of a lot but I don't talk about it half as bad as my GF talks about Harry Potter!

starcraft.man
August 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I talk about Gnu/Linux a hell of a lot but I don't talk about it half as bad as my GF talks about Harry Potter!

Oh I feel sorry for ya... one of the Potter fans eh? Sometimes I think they just might be approaching Trekkie cult status... I really don't get the obsession.
The books are well written, so are a few hundred other books off the top of my head all with good characters and plot. Oh well.

angryfirelord
August 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
lol maybe she should run Sorcerer Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorcerer_(Linux_distribution)). :wink:

steveneddy
August 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Yeah - I do too when given the chance.

Tiekyl
August 16th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah I talk about it way 2 much...I get unappreciative looks from my b/f whenever I bring it up. My best friend just straight up tells me to shut up...Its hard not to share when you find something cool tho! o.O

Matthew Wiebelhaus
August 16th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Yeah now that i switched to linux i talk about it alot i just noticed that i was talking to my dad about it about a hour ago he seems to be interested, but he uses windows.......

likemindead
August 16th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Yeah, my friends/family/co-workers have labeled me a zealot....

a12ctic
August 16th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I'm a closet user. I only talk to it to adults really.

Most of the people that use my computer think i have a black mac? ROFL

starcraft.man
August 16th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Yeah, my friends/family/co-workers have labeled me a zealot....

Who said being a zealot is a bad thing, huh? Send em my way :p.

Ripfox
August 16th, 2007, 05:43 AM
I have taken it to a level beyond my control really...I just start blabbing then I realize I am talking about Ubuntu again :lolflag: